Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Columbus - Friday Oct 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Mike Babcock and the 40-second shift

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/mike-babcock-and-the-40-second-shift-1.377209

Mike Babcock has pulled very few punches about the current state of the Toronto Maple Leafs and the work it’s going to take to repair the damage that’s been caused under the old regime.

He consistently points out that the Leafs skaters are flush with bad habits. In Babcock’s eyes, these are the priorities for the club in the early going. If Babcock can’t iron out the issues embedded in both the players and the organization, he knows he’s going to have a difficult team turning the ship around.

A big focus early on for Babcock has been player shift length. Babcock’s been adamant about bringing the average shift length for both forwards and defencemen in Toronto way down, and this is consistent with how he’s historically coached. In Detroit, Babcock was almost militant about shift length. It’s worth recalling this quote from an old ESPN the Magazine article, with then assistant coach Paul MacLean talking about how seriously the team takes every passing second:

Detroit assistant coach Paul MacLean is never without his stopwatch, clicking it each time the Wings make a line change. "We use our own time," says Babcock, eschewing the arena stat sheet. For playoffs, he wants short shifts -- 40 seconds, tops -- making sure stars like LW Henrik Zetterberg stay fresh enough to sustain the tempo his two-way game demands. Quick, smart line changes are so crucial that the Wings devoted an entire practice to them during an unexpected layover in St. Louis last season. Bonus benefit: Quick changes prevent positioning breakdowns that result in odd-man rushes.

The 40-second shift has seemingly been passed down from coaching generation to coaching generation, but it’s not a number pulled out of thin air. Player performance starts to go off of the rails once you breach that threshold. (Anything beyond 60 seconds can be utterly disastrous.) I don’t know how coaches first arrived at that number, but by my estimation, it’s a pretty reasonable benchmark:

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Anyone know approx how much data my phone would use to listen to the game via tune in radio?

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
more likely, Clarkson does something dumb and takes out one of our players + himself.

LOL! I think it will be something else we will have to worry about him..., Daisy... :D

The water-bottle policeman... :laugh:

c7f7bf2ff23dfa68d42be41595be5c44.jpg

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Time we had a win... Leafs vs Blue Jackets Match-Up Montage

GO LEAFS GO !!

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
We went 2-1 against the Jackets last season but lost 5-0 in the last game against them. They're due for a breakout as they've been severely underachieving so far this year. Johansen will destroy us tonight singlehandedly. LOL

PS. Clarkson will score tonight, without a doubt.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Tomorrows jays game is in the afternoon right? So should be good for the saturday night leafs game. All work will be left to sunday :laugh:

Gonna split screen this one and then just go to only jays during intermission.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Really? not a Jays fan?

Not a fan of MLB, not jut the Jays. I did watch the last 2 games out of pure boredom (and I did enjoy it, especially last game of course). I'm sure I'll watch them in the background while the Leafs are playing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not a fan of MLB, not jut the Jays. I did watch the last 2 games out of pure boredom (and I did enjoy it, especially last game of course). I'm sure I'll watch them in the background while the Leafs are playing.

Our whole house is very excited. Little girls wore blue to school and the wife is asking about what snacks need purchasing.

Leafs are 7 tonight or 7:30? Budsfan just answered.

Guess we can start the night with the Leafs!

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Co-worker was hassling me in the lunch room for rooting for the Leafs because they don't have any cups and everyone in the organization is either a loser or evil because tickets are expensive and they have been rebuilding since 1967.

Sure showed me.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Just going to have to pay extra attention to the first hour of this game to make up for my lack of in the rest of the game. Just hope they drop the puck at latest 7:05 instead of 7:15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad