Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Columbus - Friday Oct 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Neither goaltender appears to be ready to take the #1 job. They are both going "Uh, no you take it." "No no... I insist!!"

Should be interesting to see who get the call on Friday. Babcock doesn't have much of a choice to juggle the starts until one of them shows up.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
It's funny reading threads like this. You would think this fanbase expected us to be good.

Make no mistake, say what you want about Phil Kessel but trading him made us significantly worse.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
It's funny reading threads like this. You would think this fanbase expected us to be good.

Make no mistake, say what you want about Phil Kessel but trading him made us significantly worse.

Big time.

I think our fanbase and media need to go through a similar transition as the team, management and staff.

Recently, I have been looking at teams like LA/Pitts/Chi (dark days).
As fans we need to stay patient with a build and allow things to happen. Our biggest wrong-doing as a franchise has been trying to speed things up, and this is strongly shouldered on our fans and media.

I hope and am currently confident that we have the correct mentality in place that will allow a shift in direction from the band-aide approach.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

99% of reasonable leaf fans who actually watch hockey and follow the leafs didnt expect us to be good this year. it was time for kessel to go. he represented a previous era and while his return might be less then we hoped for a 1st and a top prospect as well as a young bottom pairing defenseman with some upside is not as bad as people make it seem.

kessel made us artificially better then we are. kessel could be the difference between us getting matthews and no. if we get matthews no one is arguing we are worse off.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Didn't we get blown out by 5-6 goals in all 3 games we played them last year? Lol

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I still haven't seen that wolverine movie because of the stupid screen takeover like a year or 2 ago.

I think the huge break will be good for the Leafs. Babcock now has some game tape he can use to explain how things should look. He said before that he didn't even watch tape of what happened last season.

Use one of those advertisement blocking plugins

Can't believe actual names are censored.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006

Trading for Phil Kessel made us significantly worse.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Former Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Peter Horachek comments on what he would do over again if he could and who really impressed him last season:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-the-aftermath-of-the-mike-richards-settlement/

24. Peter Horachek is back in Fort Lauderdale, recovering from having both knees replaced. Like Hodgson, he’s working to forget the disappointment of 2014-15, and looking forward to new challenges somewhere else.

“I can’t tell you how many people have said to me, ‘This will be a great year for you.’ They told me to take some time away, do something I’ve never done before, think back, learn from it and move on.†he said.

He’s still under contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs so he has time. In addition to the surgery, he’s planning a Christmas trip with his wife — something he hasn’t had the opportunity to do.

What would he do over if he could?

“What I learned was you have to spend more time trying to communicate with the rest of the organization on what our short-term and long-term goals are. Where are we going and how do we plan to get there? Mike Babcock has a plan. He knows where he wants to be in three weeks, where he wants to be in four-to-five years. What I would do differently is spend more time with Randy [Carlyle], Dave [Nonis], [Brendan] Shanahan, Kyle [Dubas] asking, ‘What is our expectation with these players?’ Spend more time trying to define our identity. Force that out of the situation.â€

25. Asked who really impressed him in a difficult season, Horachek named three players.

“Roman Polak and Stephane Robidas. Total pros. No matter what happened, gave their best … Daniel Winnik. He surprised me. Very reliable player.â€

Polak didn’t dress the first two games and Robidas is off the roster. Winnik is back and scored a big goal versus the Ottawa Senators. Who is going to step up and set the example?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Trading for Phil Kessel made us significantly worse.
Yes, I'm sure adding an extremely skilled player to that roster somehow made the team unbelievably worse....

The Kessel hate is just sad at this point. You'd think he made the trades, signed the players, and made the drafting choices with the amount of blame he gets.

And no, trading picks that weren't players yet did not make that team any worse.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He is currently injured and not playing yet this year.

Its a short-term injury (day to day) so he might want to be playing against his former team if possible.

So far in the trade:

Clarkson 3 games 0 goals, 0 assists, -1
Horton 0 games 0 goals, 0 assists, even

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad