Player Discussion Torey Krug III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The NTC should not be an impediment to moving Krug, though I'm not advocating they do so.

I'm certain that DS, if he were so inclined, could find a dance partner from among the 23 remaining franchises.

For years until Krug's arrival, this board was pining for that elusive "puck moving defenseman" Now we have had that luxury for a few seasons. Continue to pair him with a stay at homer and Torrey will continue to fill his valuable role.

It sure would be nice to see what that would like with Carlo one of these years.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Another issue that will eventually need to be addressed is that Krug will be UFA after next season

will the Bruins pony up another 5-6 million per season for 4 seasons?

Whatever Bruins management decides his highest trade value will be this offseason

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Without Krug the PP struggles and the top line gets a lot less chances as he is like an extra forward for that line. Most of the pts that line got this year were with Krug continuing the cycle or getting the puck up to them with speed and he supports them on the rush.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Another issue that will eventually need to be addressed is that Krug will be UFA after next season

Whatever Bruins management decides his highest trade value will be this offseason

Not trying to be "that guy" but he's got 2 years left.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
One more time for all the Krug advocates.

I'm fairly sure everyone understands that he puts up points.

He was also the savior to a horrific power play.

However, one of he or Gryz has to go.

Even with the diminutive Donny as GM two 5'9"s on the left isn't doing it.

Krug has an NTC coming up and Gryz is still on entry level.

It's about dollars/dates and the overall size of the back end.

I've seen enough of our D being pushed around then coming up angry and taking a penalty.

Reactions: BMC and JOKER 192

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

He's not UFA until 2020.

Next year he has just as much value at this time IMO, as long as he continues his current level. Considering he just turned 27 and the role he plays on this team, it's unlikely his trade value sways much.

If there is a long term top pairing LHD out their, I really think both Chara and Krug would benefit from it. Additionally I think Carlo (Chara) and K.Miller (Krug) would as well. If those four made up your 2nd and 3rd pair... Then you could potentially cash out on Krug next summer.

Reactions: PatriceBergy

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

I've seen enough of our D being pushed around then coming up angry and taking a penalty.

I think there's a bigger redundancy factor on the right side with McQuaid/Miller. Miller is the better player. That's 5+ million tied up those two.

I'll be curious to see what Grzelyck gets paid this summer. He was a mature rookie at 24. He's not fully established yet with just 60 games under his belt. His numbers don't stand out.

Sever ties with McQuaid. Upgrade on the left side. Grzelyck as the 7th D.

Easier said than done, but you don't necessarily have to trade Krug to upgrade on Krug. Should be looking to upgrade the blueline as a whole, if possible.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I don't think it will be 5-6. Yandle and Shattenkirk got between 6 and 7 under a cap that will likely be 10 million lower that what it will be when Krug comes up. Also, as mentioned above, if you do re-sign him, you have to protect him in the expansion draft. Which gets difficult if you have brought in a hypothetical upgrade at LD given the Bruins will have to go 7-3 in the expansion draft. I think that Krug has two years max left in Boston. But, letting Krug walk for nothing IS totally fine. But, if you can get a guy that is maybe more two way that you are going to commit to longer term, seems worth looking into.

Reactions: Salem13

False Start

May 8, 2018
I for one am sick of the narrative that 2 short defenseman on one team isn't a recipe for success.

Krug is a dynamite player on offense who thrives by pushing the puck forward. Where he struggles is being physical in the D zone and playing with a shorter stick, which hinders his range.

Grzelyck, if you all watched him this year, predominantly made his presence felt in transition. He is a good skater and has a really good first pass out of the zone. Defensively his biggest strength was using his skating and a really good pokecheck to disrupt rushes in the neutral zone. He did a great job not letting the other team gain the blue line.

So someone tell me why we can't have 2 5'9 guys on defense. If the guys can be positionally sound defensively, active with the sticks and produce with offensive flair, I don't see a problem. In an ideal world, every single team wants to have 3 LD and 3 RD who are 6'3 and can skate well. But you're never going to be able to achieve that.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I for one am sick of the narrative that 2 short defenseman on one team isn't a recipe for success.

Krug is a dynamite player on offense who thrives by pushing the puck forward. Where he struggles is being physical in the D zone and playing with a shorter stick, which hinders his range.

Grzelyck, if you all watched him this year, predominantly made his presence felt in transition. He is a good skater and has a really good first pass out of the zone. Defensively his biggest strength was using his skating and a really good pokecheck to disrupt rushes in the neutral zone. He did a great job not letting the other team gain the blue line.

So someone tell me why we can't have 2 5'9 guys on defense. If the guys can be positionally sound defensively, active with the sticks and produce with offensive flair, I don't see a problem. In an ideal world, every single team wants to have 3 LD and 3 RD who are 6'3 and can skate well. But you're never going to be able to achieve that.

I don't know if its so much you can't have two shorter guys per say, its that you can't have two pairings that need sheltering. If Gryz was Spurgeon or Rafalski I don't think we would be talking about size. The 2nd lines of Tampa and Toronto murdered the Bruins. I don't doubt Carlo would have helped. I don't doubt the Bruins 2nd and 3rd forward lines putting more pressure (on especially Tampa) would have helped. The finger shouldn't be pointed solely at Krug AT ALL, but there are a lot of things that add up to at least exploring an upgrade there.

edit: And I totally agree with your post, but I wonder if Gryz can use that ability to shutdown in the neutral zone against more skilled competition.

Last edited:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

I would trade Gryz over Krug

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I do think next year is a "go for it" year. Kids are still cheap. Vets are still good. Dealing Krug next summer when someone can re-sign him probably makes some sense. Of course, then he has a NTC which *could* complicate things. If Krug wants market value, I don't think re-signing him is wise. So, do you want to self-rent Krug for the next two years? Do you want to move him next offseason and risk him using his NTC? Or, do you want to move him this offseason to try to get someone you will want to protect?
In my opinion, I'm not too sure there are that many teams out there that would be willing to trade a top 4D for Krug. Unless said teams are deep at LD or have a prospect or two ready to make the jump on their roster, most teams would probably be willing to move prospects, picks, or a forward or two for Krug instead. If Sweeney could get a 2nd line C/RW for Krug, then I think he should do that deal and make another move in succession for a top 4 LD (if Sweeney can't get a top 4 LD in return for Krug). I would also be fine with the Bruins going into next season with a new top 4 LD, Chara, and Krug on the left-side on defense and see how they perform.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I think it’s pretty simple. If Sweeney can upgrade on Krug then he should do it and if he can’t, then he shouldn’t.

I have never liked Krug’s defensive game but replacing him with a total stay at home guy might not work. If they can replace him with a player in the vein of what Johnny Boychuk or Dennis Seidenberg were to the Bruins 7 years ago then it’s a no brainer to me. Krug is better than Kaberle was that year, I think it would be great if they could find a way to keep Krug and have him play 3rd pairing, the entire power play, and throw him out there with McAvoy when they need a goal badly.

That might not be possible because of the cap but that would be my dream scenario. I also have no idea how they would get this D.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

Krug struggles mightily in his own end under duress. I don’t think that’s a secret at this point.

His turnaround, on the ice bank shot prayer to no one should be patented by now. He does it constantly. At his age he shouldn’t be doing things like that any longer.

I don’t think anyone is questioning his work on the power play. But 5 on 5 you can’t shelter two different defence tandems which Boston has to do currently with him and Grizz in the lineup.

Just throwing a name out there but send him to Arizona for Hjalmarsson. Move some picks around to make everyone happy.

Has a year left on his deal which is cheaper than Krug’s. Can log big minutes to help Chara. It would keep Grizz as a bottom pair guy and give 1 more year of development to whoever pushes for a spot the next season.

If things really work out you’ve got a guy who can take over Chara’s role for several years when he retires.

Reactions: Trizz617

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
Krug struggles mightily in his own end under duress. I don’t think that’s a secret at this point.

His turnaround, on the ice bank shot prayer to no one should be patented by now. He does it constantly. At his age he shouldn’t be doing things like that any longer.

I don’t think anyone is questioning his work on the power play. But 5 on 5 you can’t shelter two different defence tandems which Boston has to do currently with him and Grizz in the lineup.

Just throwing a name out there but send him to Arizona for Hjalmarsson. Move some picks around to make everyone happy.

Has a year left on his deal which is cheaper than Krug’s. Can log big minutes to help Chara. It would keep Grizz as a bottom pair guy and give 1 more year of development to whoever pushes for a spot the next season.

If things really work out you’ve got a guy who can take over Chara’s role for several years when he retires.

Obtaining Hammer actually is a sound move. You could pair him with Charlie Mac as a solid defensive presense, and slide Chara down with Carlo. We more than likely wouldn't have to move much out at all besides Torey + lower pick and/or prospect. Almost perfect stopgap until some of the kids are ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad