Player Discussion Torey Krug III

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Elite offensively? He's not an elite defenseman at all. Elite vision. Elite offensive sense. Great on PP. I mean the team president just said he's not up to expectations 5v5. That's not elite.
I remember when the Bruins power play was awful.

Krug is part of being successful. Shouldn't write off PP contribution as something anyone can jump in and replace.

Reactions: DKH

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Krug is part of being successful. Shouldn't write off PP contribution as something anyone can jump in and replace.

agreed, I`m a huge TK fan but also a fan who isn`t opposed outright to moving him but it HAS to be for a legit and bonafide top 4 D-man, I don`t think they can move him then replace him with a winger, just don`t see where that back end production can come from internally

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

He can be replaced but he does have a feel for how Bergeron’s line plays on the PP. He fits their style, moves well, and reads the play. Everyone in the league wants a big D that can do it all. Good luck getting that on the cheap. Trading Krug and a couple of assets isn’t going to get it done. If your going to get a lower type D, your just better off keeping him. Again, Gryz isn’t the same as Krug. He struggled just the same with the toughness. Getting Carlo back changes this problem.

Last edited:

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Some people, like me, like his game, and like his potential. The kid walked into an NHL lineup at 18 years old, took top 4 minutes on a terrible team, and hasn't looked back. As much as everyone has made over Charlie McAvoy (deservedly), Hanifin did the same thing. I don't think he is as good as C-Mac, or ever will be, but he is a good player and has a lot of room to grow. He's 21. This in a league where the standard for defensemen used to be 2-3 years in the AHL after junior, or 4 years in the NCAA.

He's been Carolina's 4th or 5th D his whole career. It's not like he's been loaded with responsibility. It's definitely something to be where he is at that age. If you are going to draw a parallel, it would probably be towards Brandon Carlo. Same age. Same draft. Even then, Carlo has always played a bigger role on a better blueline. Although it's pretty clear Hanafin has more range and upside as an all-around defender.

I honestly not sure with the uproar is about Krug. One of the handful of appropriately paid players on this team. And he's the right age. Probably underpaid if you look at what the market says he's worth. Could you upgrade on him? Sure. I'd like a top pairing left shot defender. Unless you're getting that back, not sure what the point is.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He's been Carolina's 4th or 5th D his whole career. It's not like he's been loaded with responsibility. It's definitely something to be where he is at that age. If you are going to draw a parallel, it would probably be towards Brandon Carlo. Same age. Same draft. Even then, Carlo has always played a bigger role on a better blueline. Although it's pretty clear Hanafin has more range and upside as an all-around defender.

I honestly not sure with the uproar is about Krug. One of the handful of appropriately paid players on this team. And he's the right age. Probably underpaid if you look at what the market says he's worth. Could you upgrade on him? Sure. I'd like a top pairing left shot defender. Unless you're getting that back, not sure what the point is.

I guess the difference between Hanifin and Carlo in terms of situations is that Carlo got to play his rookie year alongside a HOF defenseman. We'll never know how much a difference that made for Carlo or for McAvoy this season.

I agree with you about Krug- he's in his prime, paid commensurate with his skill set, he just needs protection in terms of a partner and matchups. If Krug were to be moved, it would have to be in a situation where the Bruins are providing for his replacement AND getting value for Krug on the forward lines. I don't think a Krug for a defenseman one to one makes any sense because if we replace the offense, especially the PP, we are going to get the same defensive deficiencies, and if we take a lesser offensive player, we lose the points. It becomes worth it to me if what Krug gets back gives us a scoring winger. Then we can deal for a player like Hanifin or someone else to take the spot on the blueline and probably gain something offensively all things considered.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
People are thinking about this in the wrong way, imo. It's too emotional. I hope Sweeney is thinking of this from a pragmatic perspective. The system is flush, too flush really, with prospects and there aren't spots for them. They will need to make decisions this off-season to figure out who they try to work into the lineup over the next few years and who should be moved for some other upgrade. The stock piling is likely over for a bit. Krug is a part of this calculus. He's great at what he does but how does that fit long term? I see an asset that is at the peak of its value that won't be a part of the long term future of this team, most likely. The question is what do you do about it?

He seems like a guy who would have a lot of value around the league and his slot in the lineup appears ripe for a change. It would make total sense to cash that in, try to somehow cover his pp production, and upgrade his 5 on 5 play with something more balanced. It's not bc he sucks, it's because he's good but not likely to be part of the core as 37 ages.

Edit: also his modified NTC kicks in July 1.

Reactions: don and wintersej

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
People are thinking about this in the wrong way, imo. It's too emotional. I hope Sweeney is thinking of this from a pragmatic perspective. The system is flush, too flush really, with prospects and there aren't spots for them. They will need to make decisions this off-season to figure out who they try to work into the lineup over the next few years and who should be moved for some other upgrade. The stock piling is likely over for a bit. Krug is a part of this calculus. He's great at what he does but how does that fit long term? I see an asset that is at the peak of its value that won't be a part of the long term future of this team, most likely. The question is what do you do about it?

He seems like a guy who would have a lot of value around the league and his slot in the lineup appears ripe for a change. It would make total sense to cash that in, try to somehow cover his pp production, and upgrade his 5 on 5 play with something more balanced. It's not bc he sucks, it's because he's good but not likely to be part of the core as 37 ages.

Interesting did not realize that.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Great points

I’ve done a 180 since that press conference what I think will happen

Krug

His 5 on 5 game was discussed in a negative light
He’s got a good contract for 2 years with a modified NTC kicking in July 1

His replacement is in house and cheaper, younger, and better defensively

The Bruins have LHD concerns
1. Chara age
2. The size of other two regulars

It’s not horrible but I think the timing in their mind is right

I am a big time Krug fan but it doesn’t look good long term here

I don’t think it’s Heinen in this and he shouldn’t - I would not deal him even up for the 10th pick

I think it’s Krug and either Zboril or Lauzon and maybe a lesser forward going

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don’t think it’s Heinen in this and he shouldn’t - I would not deal him even up for the 10th pick

Neither would I- if anyone had a 1st rounder with a rookie season like Heinen had, everyone would be screaming how great he is. Instead he's a fourth rounder who needed two years of college and a year in Providence to develop, so hey let's trade him because he's not good enough. :rolleyes:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Great points

Krug

1. Chara age

I'll toss in another concern.

The development time-frames of the young LD in the organization (Zboril/Lauzon/Vaakainen/Sherman) vs. the UFA contract statuses of both Chara and Krug.

It's funny that just two summers ago all the talk here was finding a RD to bridge the gap until McAvoy and Carlo were ready, and now it appears they need a LD instead to do the same thing.

If any of those young D could step up in October and claim a regular spot on this team, this all would go away.

But with Krug's NTC kicking in on July 1 they may not have time to wait and see if that plays out and need to make a proactive move now.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Neither would I- if anyone had a 1st rounder with a rookie season like Heinen had, everyone would be screaming how great he is. Instead he's a fourth rounder who needed two years of college and a year in Providence to develop, so hey let's trade him because he's not good enough. :rolleyes:
I would think if GDZ and myself know Heinen value someone like Sweeney - who if he doesn’t know more than us isn’t far off.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'll toss in another concern.

The development time-frames of the young LD in the organization (Zboril/Lauzon/Vaakainen/Sherman) vs. the UFA contract statuses of both Chara and Krug.

It's funny that just two summers ago all the talk here was finding a RD to bridge the gap until McAvoy and Carlo were ready, and now it appears they need a LD instead to do the same thing.

If any of those young D could step up in October and claim a regular spot on this team, this all would go away.

But with Krug's NTC kicking in on July 1 they may not have time to wait and see if that plays out and need to make a proactive move now.
I’m guessing the left side objective

Chara
X
Grzelcyk

Chara likely replaced by Vaakanainen who probably slots in 2nd or 3rd pair to start

X is present day rounded #2 with eventual top pair upside who has a plus offensive game

The price used to acquire is Krug and one of younger LHD I think they want to stay clear of Vaakanainen, Heinen, and centers

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Shattenkirk gets 6.65 million for being a very similar and not as good player
Keith Yandle gets 6.3 million for being a very simikar and not as good player
Mike Green gets 6 million to be similar, and less effective player

Krus is certainly not at top dollar for what he brings

Guys, you are kind of making our point. Krug is a GREAT offensive D, but unfortunately the other end is a big time issue, and with the way this team is currently constructed (management LOVES Grz... his D is way better than Krug as far as using his stick, taking away space as rushers come over the blue line etc) they need to get bigger on the left side. Krugs deal is a VERY VERY good one for what he brings, and because of that, is very attractive on the market and can bring back the pieces this team needs to improve. I'm failing to understand how people are having trouble seeing this. Krug is the guy to move as we have a younger, better defensively (currently worse offensively, but also without the same opportunities) cheaper player that management loves and Krug can help us get what we need to improve the D. Simple as that

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Krug is definitely a guy you will miss if he is traded and we'll notice not having him nightly. If hes moved for someone better defensively it won't pay off until the postseason.

If you don't move him now I think you have to roll the dice and let him play out the next 2 seasons and walk. And sort of commit to being and offense first team. I know that is blasphemy around here and culturally something this organization would hate to do but we have the horses especially given the amazing first line. Also a goalie who is second all time in GAA and Save Percentage. Best hockey I ever saw Tuukka play was behind shaky offense first D men like Hunwick and Wideman against Buffalo and the first half of the Philly series.

Its an option but you need 3 scoring lines you can't have a 3rd with Riley and Backes and a 4th of plugs and expect to outscore the likes of Tampa and Toronto.

We have the horses though. I sort of think this is the best option unless a legit Chara replacement can be had for Krug plus. But that third line better look something like Bjork-Fitz-Heinen. Not Wingels-Nash-Backes.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Great points

Krug

1. Chara age

I love Krug but he's not untouchable by any means, for the right package he goes.

However I didn't get to see the press conference, but very odd strategy by Sweeney to bash his own player's play if he has any plans to trade him....certainly wouldn't help his value at all.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Krug’s points at even strength this year had him 13th in the league, right between Hedman and Subban.

And apparently 5 on 5 is his weakness.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Krug's point production (Defenseman with 700+ minutes played):

5v5: 22 Points = Tied 23rd in NHL
ES: 28 Points = Tied 15th in NHL

What exactly is wrong with this kind of production?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I love Krug but he's not untouchable by any means, for the right package he goes.

However I didn't get to see the press conference, but very odd strategy by Sweeney to bash his own player's play if he has any plans to trade him....certainly wouldn't help his value at all.
Neely made the ‘getting quicker 5x5’ comment and as you get away from it I don’t think it was an accident - subtly slipped in there

Purposeful comment more for fans and media

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Krug's point production (Defenseman with 700+ minutes played):

5v5: 22 Points = Tied 23rd in NHL
ES: 28 Points = Tied 15th in NHL

What exactly is wrong with this kind of production?

Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Krug was not good in the playoffs against the East’s best, but he was far from the only one.

I don’t think moving Krug is necessarily an indictment of the player as much as it is a reflection on the B’s philosophy on D personnel. The B’s appear to believe that their D either need to be big/thick or fast, and while Krug does produce, he’s neither of those things?

I wouldn’t trade Krug unless they were bringing in a bigger/faster guy that is either an upgrade right now or in the near future. Failing that, you hold onto him for the time being. The only fly in the ointment is Krug’s eight team NTC that kicks in July 1st.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Krug was not good in the playoffs against the East’s best, but he was far from the only one.

I don’t think moving Krug is necessarily an indictment of the player as much as it is a reflection on the B’s philosophy on D personnel. The B’s appear to believe that their D either need to be big/thick or fast, and while Krug does produce, he’s neither of those things?

I wouldn’t trade Krug unless they were bringing in a bigger/faster guy that is either an upgrade right now or in the near future. Failing that, you hold onto him for the time being. The only fly in the ointment is Krug’s eight team NTC that kicks in July 1st.
Not necessarily saying this should/could/would happen but if the Bruins could sign Jon Carlson, I wonder if a possible Carlo + Krug package could be what's needed to land that future replacement for Chara that we need.

A lot of what ifs and a lot of cap work needed as well.

Chara-Mcavoy
XXXX-Carlson
Gryz-Miller

next year

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Not necessarily saying this should/could/would happen but if the Bruins could sign Jon Carlson, I wonder if a possible Carlo + Krug package could be what's needed to land that future replacement for Chara that we need.

Chara-Mcavoy
XXXX-Carlson
Gryz-Miller

next year

If they signed Carlson I would think it definitely opens up the possibility to move Carlo. There would almost be no cap space to sign both Carlo and McAvoy long-term come next summer with Carlson on the books for likely 7-8 million a season. Even bridge contracts would be difficult to do.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Chara-Mcavoy
XXXX-Carlson
Gryz-Miller

next year

Too much movement going on to consider. By then, won’t Krug’s NTC have kicked in? Limits you potentially. Carlson may re-sign in Washington anyway.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016

Chara-Mcavoy
XXXX-Carlson
Gryz-Miller

next year
I think Carlson ends up at least with $8 million a year. Maybe more. He’s the only legit top 4 D free agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad