Player Discussion Torey Krug III

Status
Not open for further replies.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Obtaining Hammer actually is a sound move. You could pair him with Charlie Mac as a solid defensive presense, and slide Chara down with Carlo. We more than likely wouldn't have to move much out at all besides Torey + lower pick and/or prospect. Almost perfect stopgap until some of the kids are ready.
It was just a thought, that type of guy. I’m sure there are others who fit the bill.

I just think Boston need to be thinking outside the box a little bit.

You can’t keep asking a 40 year old to be your defensive anchor. Nor can you be sheltering two thirds of your pairings.

For those worrying about the power play I’d say McAvoy has earned the shot to see what he can do on that first unit. He’s a confident player, let him run with it.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
It was just a thought, that type of guy. I’m sure there are others who fit the bill.

I just think Boston need to be thinking outside the box a little bit.

You can’t keep asking a 40 year old to be your defensive anchor. Nor can you be sheltering two thirds of your pairings.

For those worrying about the power play I’d say McAvoy has earned the shot to see what he can do on that first unit. He’s a confident player, let him run with it.

I'm not wasting the value Krug has built up on Hjalmarsson though. He surely would land the Bruins a better player.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'm not wasting the value Krug has built up on Hjalmarsson though. He surely would land the Bruins a better player.

Agreed.

If you have Chara and Krug phasing out over the next couple seasons I wouldn't want to add ANOTHER guy that is phasing out. I would want to add someone that is going to stick around 5+ years or else what is the point?

Besides doesn't Hjalmarsson mostly play his offside?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Whoa! Just a name kids!

Thinking ahead to the expansion draft as well. Lots of moving parts for Boston in the next couple of years.

Anyway, two way defender. If you can find one of those for Krug that can alleviate Chara’s minutes and keep Grizz sheltered I think that’s the way to go. If we’re being honest Chara should be on the third pairing already by now!

Trying to read the tea leaves from the management presser too. I can’t see them standing pat on their LD trio this offseason. As other posters have mentioned, the guy who will get you the most back is probably Krug.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Krug is capable of playing solid defence - he was quite good in his own end for a while after being benched. I think it's partly a matter of focus with him.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Whoa! Just a name kids!

Thinking ahead to the expansion draft as well. Lots of moving parts for Boston in the next couple of years.

Anyway, two way defender. If you can find one of those for Krug that can alleviate Chara’s minutes and keep Grizz sheltered I think that’s the way to go. If we’re being honest Chara should be on the third pairing already by now!

Trying to read the tea leaves from the management presser too. I can’t see them standing pat on their LD trio this offseason. As other posters have mentioned, the guy who will get you the most back is probably Krug.

See this is where I have a problem, moving Krug so that Gryz can continue to get all the sheltered minutes. He doesn't add enough in the other aspects of the game to justify his existence as a player they need to shelter on the ice

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
See this is where I have a problem, moving Krug so that Gryz can continue to get all the sheltered minutes. He doesn't add enough in the other aspects of the game to justify his existence as a player they need to shelter on the ice

agreed, remove Krug, it`s McAvoy who alone is pretty much the only D-man who will put pts up from the back end.

I`m not quick to move Krug but would for the right piece and that piece for me absolutely has to be a true, established top 4 D-man who can, at the very least, put some pts up. Will not likely be the 50+ yearly Krug is now producing. I think McAvoy will be a big time player but to put all the offensive eggs in one basket might be a lot to ask of a 2nd year player.

I keep hearing names like Brodin/Slavin/Hanafin for Krug. I don`t get to watch any of the 3 to have a sense of their games and offer an opinion based on a solid body of work so I`ll stay outta that discussion but Krug seems to be underappreciated here and his value is as well IMO.

I`m on board with the Left side getting bigger, but really weary of what it would look like without a Krug back there.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Gryz is still cost controlled. He isn’t going to break the bank to sign in the off-season and no one is tendering him an rfa deal.

He’s been a good find for Boston I think. Ideally ya he’d be bigger. But he skates well and makes good reads in his own end. That’s fine for a bottom pairing guy.

Again judging by the Bruins post season press conference someone is out the door. Gryz will get them nothing. Chara nothing. Krug will have appeal somewhere.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Gryz is still cost controlled. He isn’t going to break the bank to sign in the off-season and no one is tendering him an rfa deal.

He’s been a good find for Boston I think. Ideally ya he’d be bigger. But he skates well and makes good reads in his own end. That’s fine for a bottom pairing guy.

Again judging by the Bruins post season press conference someone is out the door. Gryz will get them nothing. Chara nothing. Krug will have appeal somewhere.

if it`s Krug, that return better be fantastic because it`s potentially a huge risk moving a guy who produces like he does offensively

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

Your worried about the return? Well Gryz isn’t a replacement for Krug. Don’t care what anyone says. You can compare them defensively but not offensively.

Reactions: PatriceBergy

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Your worried about the return? Well Gryz isn’t a replacement for Krug. Don’t care what anyone says. You can compare them defensively but not offensively.
I would think Gryz would be in the exact same spot he’s in now. 3rd pairing guy.

I would hope the new guy, whoever that is, would be good in his own end to the point you can start him anywhere on the ice against any forward line. Ideally he could play on the 2nd pp unit but I don’t think that should be the deal breaker.

Someone who can eat up some of Chara’s minutes so Boston isn’t asking the 41 year old guy to play 25 minutes per night.

Actually the more I think on it, Boston’s LD situation isn’t great at all. Unless Krug was your 3rd pairing guy. Cap wise though that’d be a nightmare going forward.

Reactions: chizzler

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

sure you can

Grz is better at breaking out with the puck and makes solid 1st passes

He doesn't have the shot that Krug has but also he didn't shoot the puck enough. He needs to be told to shoot more

Overall Krug got all the PP min, has freedom to make risky passes. Grz did not last season (and prob won't take risks like that, because thats not how he plays).

Reactions: DKH

PatriceBergy

May 1, 2016
Boston, Ma
Well, it's debatable if he's a better defender but defense doesn't necessarily need to played in your own end. The best Defense is offense.
Grizz is quicker, shiftier, more mobile and less prone to giveaways.In short he get's the puck out. He does benefit from lower competition but let's not forget he doesn't even have a full season under his belt. There is room for growth here.

I think it's clear that Krug needs to take a step back as you say. He on the other hand has 400 games under his belt, not likely to grow from this point. There in lies the problem, he's a 3rd liner with PP skills . A 5M 3rd liner is a luxury no team can afford in a cap world IMO.

Well his point totals increased from last year and he played less minutes so I'd say he got better offensively this past year. Who's to say he can't become an even better offensive player, he's just entering what should be his prime right now. Marchand has managed to find another offensive gear pretty late in his career.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
I am MEH on Krug... I see his offensive potential and what he brings to the team, but I felt too often in the playoffs he was the guy who had the bad coverage on the goal and other defensive gaffs.

If he is moved, it must be for an upgrade... would hate to have a Boychuck situation, move a guy and be missing that solid defender.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Well defensively Gryz is better so , no comparison. Offensively I really don't think Gryz will ever be up to Krug's level but he'll get close enough. He likely won't ever command the $$$ Krug does so it's a no brainer to me. He is also more likely to be slotted in the appropriate pairing and that's also a plus.

Folks I don't know what part of what Neely said confused some of you but you don't need to be clairvoyant to get what he was saying. Two short guys, no bueno.

Reactions: rocketdan9

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Trade Krug or Griz? Look at it this way: which would you rather have on your team? Now look at it from the other teams side: who would you give up to get him? Bottom line, Krug will bring back more than Griz with the added bonus of CAP savings.

Reactions: rocketdan9

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
for all the complaining around here for years about the Bruins not being skilled enough, the last thing they should do is trade away elite skill in Krug for a dime a dozen defender like Grizz.

But sure, lets go back to the trade away dollars and play 3 quarters instead...while we're at it, better trade Pasta and elevate Riley Nash

Sorry, but you can go out and find a handful of Grizz level players anytime you want. He is solid, not special.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Trade Krug or Griz? Look at it this way: which would you rather have on your team? Now look at it from the other teams side: who would you give up to get him? Bottom line, Krug will bring back more than Griz with the added bonus of CAP savings.

Of course teams would give up more for Krug

One is an elite Talent, one of the best int he NHL in the areas he performs well at, and a commodity Boston spent more than a decade trying to solve for. The other is a bottom pairing at best, who needs to be heavily sheltered, and brings little else to the game. Gryz is cheaper, because he is far less valuable both to the Bruins, and around the league

Lets look at this way

If you deal Krug, there is a good chance you have made your overall team worse. While not a perfect player you basically need to find a legit #2 D-man to replace him or it is a downgrade

If you deal Griy there is the potential for a pretty dramatic improvement to the team. A legit #4 defenseman is a dramatic improvement over what Gryz brings to the table

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I am MEH on Krug... I see his offensive potential and what he brings to the team, but I felt too often in the playoffs he was the guy who had the bad coverage on the goal and other defensive gaffs.

If he is moved, it must be for an upgrade... would hate to have a Boychuck situation, move a guy and be missing that solid defender.
Potential? He's proved for a while now that he belongs in the top tier of guys offensively.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
for all the complaining around here for years about the Bruins not being skilled enough, the last thing they should do is trade away elite skill in Krug for a dime a dozen defender like Grizz.

But sure, lets go back to the trade away dollars and play 3 quarters instead...while we're at it, better trade Pasta and elevate Riley Nash

Sorry, but you can go out and find a handful of Grizz level players anytime you want. He is solid, not special.
I agree with this.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Plus we have posts every week about wasting Bergeron's prime years, and here we are wanting to trade away the better guy again.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Of course teams would give up more for Krug

One is an elite Talent, one of the best int he NHL in the areas he performs well at, and a commodity Boston spent more than a decade trying to solve for. The other is a bottom pairing at best, who needs to be heavily sheltered, and brings little else to the game. Gryz is cheaper, because he is far less valuable both to the Bruins, and around the league

Lets look at this way

If you deal Krug, there is a good chance you have made your overall team worse. While not a perfect player you basically need to find a legit #2 D-man to replace him or it is a downgrade

If you deal Griy there is the potential for a pretty dramatic improvement to the team. A legit #4 defenseman is a dramatic improvement over what Gryz brings to the table

How so? No one is saying sell off Krug for a package of picks and prospects and that's not likely a path Sweeney is looking at either.

Reactions: wintersej

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
If Carolina, for example, is considering moving Hanifin because it is strong on its defense, it probably wouldn't move him for another defenseman

Krug will be able to bring back a forward, hopefully a centr to take over for Nash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->