Confirmed with Link: [TOR/TBL] TOR Acquires Brian Boyle For Byron Froese + 2nd Round Pick 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Ill tell you what i would rather Boyle take this draw then our inexperienced rookie. This draw cost us 1 maybe 2 points. With the race so tight ill take the playoff experience of Boyle.

First,
Boyle's wowy stats indicate he doesn't really play against top players

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?season=2016-17&sit=5v5&pid=879&withagainst=true

and for the minutes he has played against top 6 forwards his CF% has suffered.

Second,
Boyle is not a playoff beast; he is a friggen 4th liner, 4th liners don't win anybody championships

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=72656

third
picking an isolated incidence where there was a goal against on "one" shift is ridiculous. It could very well have been Boyle losing a draw and fowler one timing the puck in the goal.

Are you claiming that Boyle has never lost a draw where a one timer went in goal?

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
First,

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?season=2016-17&sit=5v5&pid=879&withagainst=true

Second,
Boyle is not a playoff beast; he is a friggen 4th liner, 4th liners don't win anybody championships

third
picking an isolated incidence where there was a goal against on "one" shift is ridiculous. It could very well have been Boyle losing a draw and fowler one timing the puck in the goal.

Are you claiming that Boyle has never lost a draw where a one timer went in goal?

:facepalm: again people ignore the importance of the 4th line. Jesus we might as well scrap the 4th line because they are useless. Roll 3 lines into the ground. Depth wins championships remember that. Boyle back to back Cup finals.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I was ok with them riding the kids in this stretch run but, it's not the end of the world, having another vet in the room with some actual playoff experience may be the point here. It's going to be a tight run these last 20 games and him being in the room, being a voice of experience to a bunch of young guys, its going to advance their development. Worth a second? Depends how they do I guess.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Tell me how much better our chances are of making the PO with Boyle over Goat? Like give me a hard number how much better he makes this team.

I hope you know better than to think this can be expressed as a "hard" number. I think it's pretty clear that Boyle makes us better though, would you agree?

Here's hoping that any further trade only involves Bozak or JVR. Stop ****ing with drafts and prospects, Lou.

We are a bubble team FFS. This year doesn't matter and neither do the play offs.

Next thing ya know we are gonna sign another ****ing Larry Murphy...

Maybe you should wait until the "next thing" happens before you start the riot. Maybe take a deep breath as a first small step.

He can make this team slightly better which could be good enough. The difference between playoffs or no playoffs can be 1 or 2 points.

This is true.

GOAT is our 4C.

Suppose Leafs do end up making the playoffs (remember: condensed schedule upcoming, D is the weak link) how much of an "impact" you expect a 4C to have in the playoffs? How much time does a 4th line get in the playoffs anyway?

If Boyle was an anomoly for a 4th liner who ups his game in playoff situation then ok fine... but this is not the case

Doesn't matter how you cut this; it is a bad trade from contextual pov

One thing missing from your analysis is what would it be worth in development value to make the playoffs. I personally think that has a ton of value, especially this season with all the crap this team/town has suffered over the years and with all the rookies we have ... a round or two of playoff hockey in this town and the air over this city would be fresher and cleaner than it has been in many, many years. I would go a step further and say that making the playoffs this season has more value than it has had at any time since I started following this team almost 50 years ago. Once you factor that in, the trade might not be so bad. But maybe you think making the playoffs doesn't matter?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
OK. And i suppose you have a hard number on how much better goat makes us.

Also, this acquisition is not an indictment on the goat.
He is still our guy going forward.

Sure I can guesstimate it and show you how I will come to that..

Goat 51% Draw
Boyle 52% Draw
= DRAW

Goat quicker foot speed
+Goat

Boyle more physical but Goat uses his body well lately.
+Boyle narrowly

Boyle has experience
+Boyle

Boyle adds production
+Boyle

All in all we can see he net adds to the team but how much does that 10mins mean. He is 1 player playing low minutes and is not some offensive dynamo. His defense could also be skewed by having way better D in TB so how do we really know? All in all if factor all that in and just take a guess? I would say 5% tops where plugging the 4D hole would probably add say 20% if we believe in weakest links and the top 4 being responsible for around 80% of the relevant D load. So it would be more beneficial to put picks into a D, that's what I am saying but would not do anything because I don't see the need to rush regardless.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Trade Bozak and recoup a couple of picks (2nd + 3rd?).

JVR - Matthews - Nylander
Leivo - Kadri - Marner
Komarov - Boyle - Brown
Hyman - Gauthier - Martin

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I actually think Boyle is an upgrade over Bozak, Goat should be the 4th C, and Bozak should be flipped to a team that needs a centre like NYI for a dman like de Haan.

Boyle might be an upgrade on Bozak in the sense that he fills an actual role whereas Bozak is kind of a left over middle six player who isn't that good compared to the new skill coming up and doesn't do enough in a bottom six role. Might be nice to see them flip him for futures to recoup what we gave up for Boyle. Boyle can also mentor Gauthier for a little while.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
First,

Second,

third

LOL, I guess you don't watch hockey then

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Leafs are going to have a sweet 4th line, mean and hard hitting.
Also can't see Boyle replacing Bozak, they play completely different and Boyle isn't suited for an offensive role.

Maybe Bozak is moved and Nylander slides to center.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
First,

Second,

third

This is the insanity they these people will bring up. I predict buyers remorse after the hype train dies down for this 90% of Boyle lovers.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013

Just another 4th liner doing nothing for team just garbage they provide nothing. Depth wins people.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Just another 4th liner doing nothing for team just garbage they provide nothing. Depth wins people.

Ok so we are winning the cup and stuff now. Sweet. I will love when Boyle hoists that sucker up. Going to be great. #BoyleMania

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
GOAT is our 4C.

Suppose Leafs do end up making the playoffs (remember: condensed schedule upcoming, D is the weak link) how much of an "impact" you expect a 4C to have in the playoffs? How much time does a 4th line get in the playoffs anyway?

If Boyle was an anomoly for a 4th liner who ups his game in playoff situation then ok fine... but this is not the case

Doesn't matter how you cut this; it is a bad trade from contextual pov

Gauthier? The guy Babcock sent down a month ago in favour of Smith? And only called up recently because he realized Smith is the worst player on this team? He's not our 4th line centre, Gauthier is not ready yet for the NHL. He doesn't do much out there. People are fine with that for some reason but that's not good enough, you need every player doing something than just taking draws then skating around for 20-30 seconds. Also, Gauthier has to be one of the softest 6'5" 230 pound players I've ever seen. Would rather he be playing bigger minutes on the Marlies.

Boyle wasn't traded here to tear it up offensively so I don't know why you're linking his goals, assists, and points. He was brought in to solidify a weakness in our lineup so that we can continue to flourish where we are already strong. But with that said, Boyle is a lot better offensively than Smith and Gauthier.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This is the insanity they these people will bring up. I predict buyers remorse after the hype train dies down for this 90% of Boyle lovers.

the only way I have buyers remorse is if that 2nd becomes a player that makes the NHL and has an impact. If that doesn't happen then who cares. I'm just happy to see them push for the playoffs

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I'm not going to cry about it because I loathe Ben Smith and don't care for the Goat, but I also don't really think there's much value in wasting a 2nd on a rental to fix a fourth line that is going to have Matt Martin on it anyways. Meh.

People will justify pissing away picks because it's a weak draft and 2nd rounders only have a 30% chance of becoming regular NHLers anyways, but this team still needs all of the lottery tickets it can get.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
:facepalm: again people ignore the importance of the 4th line. Jesus we might as well scrap the 4th line because they are useless. Roll 3 lines into the ground. Depth wins championships remember that. Boyle back to back Cup finals.

Here we're use to the 4th line being irrelevant by play 6 to 8 mins a game. Boyle playing 14 is definitely something different for this team.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
Ok so we are winning the cup and stuff now. Sweet. I will love when Boyle hoists that sucker up. Going to be great. #BoyleMania

Just a response to people who think 4th lines do nothing. You need your 4th line to do something or your not going very far. They aren't useless and your gonna need the depth if your gonna make a playoff push. Not saying Leafs are gonna win a cup but we need the depth over some 2nd rounder who may or may not make the NHL.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
No one in his post does he make any claim that Boyle turns us into a playoff team.

To follow that up, since you've said it up and down this thread, who is this Top-4 D you want, and what are you willing to give up for him?

He's doesn't offer answers. Just scenarios.

The kids need real vets. Not jvr and bozak types, but guys who can serve as real examples of how to play the game right. Boyle is a guy who has been on good teams, and played deep into the playoffs. How is this not looked at as development for our young players?

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
No you lack reading comprehension or fail to read my posts.

We need a D period if they want to make an honest run. I don't know if I said a 1st for Green or not but I think he is signed for 3yrs at least.

We traded a 2nd for a guy that is slower than Goat and has 1% better on the dot percentage. He is more physical and has experience but does not ENSURE WE GET INTO THE PO. It was a whimsical trade at best unless they are going to trade for a 4D now etc. You almost have to go all in to justify this trade but also be aware we are not winning a conference or anything for that matter either way. Maybe a round if we pad the D some but this comes at the cost of long term growth and development so enjoy.

I read your posts and you definitely said a first. Whatever spin you want to put on it green isn't worth trading our first and a good prospect for but you did think that's a good idea.

Now your upset about a second because you think we are selling the farm.

Double standard and again I trust what this management does as opposed to someone who wants to trade a first for an old dman

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Anyone remember when we got Big Sexy? That was the big trade we made when we had 3x PPG players and the team was on fire. A clear situation I said was a freak and we should get a top D and Mike Cammy + better backup tender. The year we should have spent, we got Big Sexy... This is like getting Big Sexy on a year that we don't really even need anyone at all because we are not good enough to do anything special.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
Here we're use to the 4th line being irrelevant by play 6 to 8 mins a game. Boyle playing 14 is definitely something different for this team.

Of course give Matthews, Marner and Nylander a little more breathing room when the games get tougher. Having a guy who can eat some minutes and give the young guys a little rest will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad