Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Patrick Marleau - 3 years, $6.25M AAV (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
only way hes not getting his cash is if he retires and he isn't leaving 6.25 on the table

You do realize he’s getting about 17 of 18.75 Million after July 1st, 2 years from now? In his last year, he’s getting paid less than 2M real money while carrying a cap hit of 6.25. Very attractive for a cap floor team, very attractive.

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
Love it! Just what Matthews needs on his left and Willy on his right. A top line in the entire league and Marleau makes a potent PP even better.

Amazing signing by sweet Lou. We have the cap space and ways to make that third year disappear if need be :laugh:

Look what Lou and company did and what every cup winning team has. He added experience to both the offense and defense in Patty M and Hainsey, resigned our solid backup all to go along with a already very skilled and exciting team.

So far Hunwick out for a better "defensive defensman" (which was needed) in Ron H. and Lou added skilled veteran leadership in Marleau. As of this moment the Leafs are a better team than last year and lets not forget their record the last half of the season was one of the best in the entire NHL.

If Cal Rosen can be as good as he was in Sweden and round out the Leafs top 4, this team has the chance to do great things next season. Still have a feeling Lou is going to make a trade for an established d-man before Oct 4 however, that is a lot of pressure to put on Rosen from the beginning.

Great Day for Leafs Nation.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Don't care what other people think, this is a good deal and makes sense for the Leafs.

Their already amazing forward group got better today. Have fun matching against 3 scoring lines.

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown

Deadly.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
They don't understand the rules or choose to ignore them, that's why there is a problem in the third year.

Leafs intentionally wanted the third year so they could give him a massive frontloaded contract and trade him right after he gets that last signing bonus to a team of his choice to play there or retire there.

Making 1.25M on a 6.25M cap hit? That's a gold mine for teams that add artificial contracts to hit the cap floor.

I understand that. That's why I said in the first part that the 35+ part was the key to making it work if Marleau wants to retire. (I misunderstood a Leaf fan's posts who was actually proposing LTIR instead of this but I though s/he was saying what you're suggesting here. I said that there should be no problem and I didn't get why ppl were attacking what the poster said.) If he wants to play for another team, that works too. Maybe he can come back home if the Sharks have cap space.

As I said, I don't like the rules but the Leafs absolutely should use them to their benefit.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
marleau scored 7 more goals last year than anyone on your entire team.

And our team is a dumpster fire? Marleau on the nucks would be Loui Eriksson like.

Good thing for Leafs is that they'll probably get one really good year out of him playing with Matthews and Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia