Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Patrick Marleau - 3 years, $6.25M AAV (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
People are actually criticizing this move? Lmao. Obviously overpaid, but this move helps in the short term and won't hurt in the long term. Perfect move.

Signed too long for too much and has a NMC for all years with a 35+ contract. If someone doesn't criticize the contract they are crazy especially when it can effect future contracts players want from Toronto after seeing this.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
oilers and habs get worse, canucks try to improve a hopeless team, and their fans are all over here raging in force that the leafs have done nothing but improve.

gotta be tough. i feel for you guys.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I agree. Signing bonsues should count against the team that paid them to prevent this obvious cap circumvention but they don't. I"m sure that the NHL knew teams were going to do this when the rules were written bc it's a pretty obvious loophole.

It's frustrating as a fan of a smaller market team but since those are the rules, I can't blame the Leafs for using them to their advantage. It's annoying that it's usually the large teams (leafs, habs, rangers, etc) who benefit but that's the NHL.

I don't understand why ppl think that there's likely to be a problem in the third year.

They don't understand the rules or choose to ignore them, that's why there is a problem in the third year.

Leafs intentionally wanted the third year so they could give him a massive frontloaded contract and trade him right after he gets that last signing bonus to a team of his choice to play there or retire there.

Making 1.25M on a 6.25M cap hit? That's a gold mine for teams that add artificial contracts to hit the cap floor.

airgordo

Feb 4, 2015
I think management brought in Marleau because they needed someone to accept the Cup from Gary next spring.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
What is a 35-plus contract?
If a player signs a multi-year contract and is age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the year of the effective contract), the players individual cap hit counts against the teams cap hit regardless of whether, or where, the player is active. However, there is one circumstance in which there is a cap hit reduction, a team will receive a $100,000 relief off of the teams salary cap hit, if a player is playing in the minor leagues after the first year of their contract

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Fair deal. Great for Toronto now because now their offense is even more deadly. However, it does depend on a lot of what Lou plans to do during that third year as we could be in little bit of Cap trouble.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Someone in the previous thread asked about Komarov, JVR, Bozak, JVR and Lupul needing to be replaced.

Leafs have actually drafted quite well the past three seasons and the hope would be that at that point we would start replenishing with ELCs (Korshkov, Grundstrom, Bracco, etc).

Liljegren, Dermott, Nielsen, Rasanen, Borgman as potential D options.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Moore - Hyman

Still no spot for Kapanen or Leivo.

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto
They don't understand the rules or choose to ignore them, that's why there is a problem in the third year.

Leafs intentionally wanted the third year so they could give him a massive frontloaded contract and trade him right after he gets that last signing bonus to a team of his choice or retire.

Making 1.25M on a 6.25M cap hit? That's a gold mine for teams that add artificial contracts to hit the cap floor.

Some people don't understand that for odd reason. Just because he has NMC, they think we are stuck with him no matter what.

What about other players with 35+ NMC contracts that got moved for salary cap? Also, if he gets hurt, then LTIR.

I just hope Marleau can continue his production for the next two years. That's all I am worried about.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Leafs threads are like bright lights to the moths of Hfboards. 2nd thread already? How do you expect Toronto to NOT feel like the centre of the universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->