Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NJD] TOR Acquires Sergey Kalinin from NJD for Viktor Loov

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Smith only takes on slot from the 40/70 qualified forwards. Didn't think Laich wants to sign with us to play in Marlies. Nor do we want Laich to be taking a contract spot if we will never going to bring him up.

If Laich can get an NHL contract he really should take it, he might not get one.

Whoever we acquire or sign to be the 2 required spots fodder would take up a contract spot. What's the difference between giving Laich or Smith one than giving 70 game Bad John Smith a contract for the same purpose?

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Smith and Laich are UFAs if im not mistaken. I doubt they sign here with the cloud of being moved arcross the continent to Vegas. They control their own destiny and likely wouldn't sign... moreso Laich as i think Smith might not sign.

Whereas Kalinin may not have a choice being an RFA.

-------

Eventhough he is exempt, could we still make him available?

I think you hit the nail on the head. He will be resigned to league minimum and waived if he doesn't make the team next year or gets taken. I still think we do one more of these incase Smith decides to not resign before the expansion draft. I think we will try and grab another fringe RFA who has played 40/70 in exchange for Laich, Greening or Michalek + a mediocre prospect/late pick before the deadline to make cap space to reduce the performance bonus overage for next season.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I liked Loov, but it's not the end of the world. I thought he had an outside shot for a spot on the team next year, even if in a 7D role, but the Leafs can live without him. He'd only have a spot for like one year. The main problem is the Marlies may not be able to handle the loss. They are already very shallow on defense, especially shut down guys like Loov, and now they have even fewer guys back there. I guess Gudbranson made a really good impression in his first two games and will be there to stay.

My thinking is that the Leafs need a depth forward. Leivo/Sosh may be traded and they won't want anyone from the Marlies up for the 13th forward. Not going to stick a young guy in a depth role when they have good ice time on the Marlies, and the vets they have down there are either being used by the team often or injured. You aren't wasting talent by putting Kalinin as the 13th forward.

This deal means little on it's own, but I do think it's a precursor to another (possibly bigger) deal(s).

In his 2 games gudbranson looks 'safer' than Lööv. He doesn't put himself out of position but doesn't skate as well as Lööv

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Ultimately, a plug for a plug. Fringe AHL player/4th liner with minimal upside for Fringe AHL player/Bottom pairing D-man.

The only qualm I have is Loov probably had more upside but nothing to fret over.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Would've been a bonus to also get a low pick since we could've claimed him off waivers, but he also has more NHL experience than Loov so it's probably a wash. Guess it's a matter of balancing contracts and organizational depth more than anything though.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
If Laich can get an NHL contract he really should take it, he might not get one.

Whoever we acquire or sign to be the 2 required spots fodder would take up a contract spot. What's the difference between giving Laich or Smith one than giving 70 game Bad John Smith a contract for the same purpose?
Maybe they think he might be more useful to be called up for 4C if needed in comparison to Laich.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
then why not just claim him on the waivers? Why the hell trade one of our assets to the devils if Kalinin is exempt for expansion draft?

I do not get this move.

The trade was made because obviously Lou wanted him. You claim him on waivers, he can't be sent down to the Marlies without being re-exposed (we went through the same thing with Reid Boucher earlier this year). If you pick him up on waivers, you go to 50 contracts. This is a swap of contracts so you don't take on that extra one.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Lets be real here, Vegas wouldn't take either, even if they had to take 6 guys from every team.

They also might be in tough to find an NHL contract this offseason, especially Laich, if Toronto offered them one for sure right now they'd be stupid to not take it.

You never know. Vegas will have slim pickings... team will be awful regardless. The team will be full of Smiths and Laichs... i rather take my luck on the market. If Laich signed there is no guarantee he would stay with the Leafs, likely be on waivers hesded to the marlies. If im him i rather have more control over where i play considering your options are an AHL team and playing on an AHL team in the NHL.

Personally i dont think Laich isnt in the NHL because of play rather salary and we want to play our young kids. He can still be a 4th line NHL forward. He should find a contract. Same with Michalek.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The trade was made because obviously Lou wanted him. You claim him on waivers, he can't be sent down to the Marlies without being re-exposed (we went through the same thing with Reid Boucher earlier this year). If you pick him up on waivers, you go to 50 contracts. This is a swap of contracts so you don't take on that extra one.

fair enough; but I don't expect Leafs to make any big moves at the TDL anyway; Leafs are not going to be buyers or sellers they are just going to stay put IMO;

may be Albany desperately needed a D-man and Lou just helping out his old club?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
In his 2 games gudbranson looks 'safer' than Lööv. He doesn't put himself out of position but doesn't skate as well as Lööv

Well the Marlies didn't need another forward, especially in exchange for a defenseman. The Marlies, at the very least, lacked depth at defense (Wrenn and Corrin should be playing as little as possible), while there are good forwards who are sitting every night, and that's with 4 guys injured right now too.

Kalinin will probably play on the Marlies now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of move and he's the one to be the replacement 13th forward. Froese is too important to the Marlies, guys like Laich and Greening are probably better off on the Marlies (for leadership mostly), and Michalek is hurt. Nobody else we have under contract makes sense for that role besides them.

It's not a big deal either way. Marlies improve at forward, and hopefully it'll be bigger than the loss at defense.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
fair enough; but I don't expect Leafs to make any big moves at the TDL anyway; Leafs are not going to be buyers or sellers they are just going to stay put IMO;

may be Albany desperately needed a D-man and Lou just helping out his old club?

He's also been surpassed here, and AGudbrandson played the same type of game here. We needed C's as much as we need D. He will help the Marlies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Alwàys want that flexibility in case a deal comes along. Having 49 contracts is better than 50.

Plus this is the time college FAs and Euro FAs sign too.... Leafs are probably going be in that market for sure.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
He's also been surpassed here, and AGudbrandson played the same type of game here. We needed C's as much as we need D. He will help the Marlies.

i just checked the standings for Marlies. Have not been keeping it up with marlies this year as much.

Has D been ok with marlies but offense is a problem?

I don't even know if Kapanen is back from his injury

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
then why not just claim him on the waivers? Why the hell trade one of our assets to the devils if Kalinin is exempt for expansion draft?

I do not get this move.

Because Loov isn't an asset and they apparently valued a roster spot over Loov.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Well the Marlies didn't need another forward, especially in exchange for a defenseman. The Marlies, at the very least, lacked depth at defense (Wrenn and Corrin should be playing as little as possible), while there are good forwards who are sitting every night, and that's with 4 guys injured right now too.

Kalinin will probably play on the Marlies now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of move and he's the one to be the replacement 13th forward. Froese is too important to the Marlies, guys like Laich and Greening are probably better off on the Marlies (for leadership mostly), and Michalek is hurt. Nobody else we have under contract makes sense for that role besides them.

It's not a big deal either way. Marlies improve at forward, and hopefully it'll be bigger than the loss at defense.

I agree. Not sure what the thoughts are on this. I also think we could get something for corrado with how he is producing and that would just make the D even worse!
Well let's see what comes of it.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

I do not get this move.
Maybe try reading the thread?

Kalinin is as much of an "asset" as Loov is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad