Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NJD] TOR Acquires Sergey Kalinin from NJD for Viktor Loov

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
* all first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection

I don't want to go on about this at length and what follows is a merely theoretical discussion, but the relevant clause about 1st and second year players and the expansion draft is poorly written. I accept the assertion that the intent of the clause may have been to make it impossible for those players to be exposed and selected. But it could reasonably be argued that the wording does not achieve that end. The word "exempt" is imprecise and not sufficient in normal English. To give but one example: thousands were exempt from obligatory military service in WWII, ie the draft, but volunteered to serve anyways. Moreover, the previous clause, about players with NMC clauses in their contracts, explicitly states that a waiver of exemption is possible in that instance. Is it ruled out in this instance? Not by the wording of the clause.

A clearer statement would include words such as "First and second year players may not be exposed and will not be selected in the expansion draft" and/or "no waivers of exemption will be possible for first and second year pros." If I were giving instructions to lawyers drafting the clause, I would have wanted something like that.

This is, of course, entirely hypothetical... though if anyone is going to find a loophole, it would probably be Lou!

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
So much sadness at this... ; - ;
Loov needed a statue built in his honor, not a trade. :(

Hopefully he gets the opportunity he deserves in jersey.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
You never know. Vegas will have slim pickings... team will be awful regardless. The team will be full of Smiths and Laichs... i rather take my luck on the market. If Laich signed there is no guarantee he would stay with the Leafs, likely be on waivers hesded to the marlies. If im him i rather have more control over where i play considering your options are an AHL team and playing on an AHL team in the NHL.

Personally i dont think Laich isnt in the NHL because of play rather salary and we want to play our young kids. He can still be a 4th line NHL forward. He should find a contract. Same with Michalek.

Lol yeah LVK will be terrible...

Okay there.

Leafs are one of the few teams well positioned to not give up a good player/prospect.

They will have the best goalie tandem in the NHL.

Harold Ballard

Klutchperi Kapanen
Jan 27, 2017
I guess the song choice I made for this last video I did for him is deeper, now.. LOL!

All the best in the future, Viktor..!
(three more videos to my Ex-Leaf playlist) :facepalm:

...but.., one last time..

Loov Hurts: Viktor Loov 2014-15 Highlights - TM

I like how Frankies in the background showing again his defensive ineptitude...lol

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
So Loov wasn't even worth a contract spot? i thought people here liked him.

Push is coming to shove. We're in a playoff push... Sacrificing Loov in order to add forward depth while maintaining flexibility for bigger moves is a no-brainer imho..

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Seems like Loov's been passed on the depth chart of LHD with Dermott, Nielse, and Valiev.

Shame his development stalled - showed some promise and looking solid in his few games with the Leafs.

I realize the Marlies could use some centre depth but I thought their blue line could use some help too :dunno:

Harold Ballard

Klutchperi Kapanen
Jan 27, 2017
Btw...didnt he smoke that forward on Albany last year in the P/O and get suspended?
Wonder how that'll play out?

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
Kind of disappointed that Loov didn't get a chance to prove he's better than half of our current defensemen

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
New Jersey board said that Kalinin was a good 4th line centre, with great defensive instincts. He's also got good size.

I like this move, Loov was one of the last of the Nonis/Burke era of drafting, percy, granberg, MacWilliams, Finn. Not the offensive/skating/skill type of the new regime.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I really don't like this move. Loov is better than Hunf*$k

Good personality and plays the game with an edge. Just what we needed

We could have had Kalinin for something like a 6th rounder. Why waste a home grown prospect?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I really don't like this move. Loov is better than Hunf*$k

Good personality and plays the game with an edge. Just what we needed

We could have had Kalinin for something like a 6th rounder. Why waste a home grown prospect?

Kalinin is apparently very strong, and is actually a decent fighter. Plays the game with some toughness. Sounds like what the leafs would call a good pro, fit, plays with heart, protects himself and his teammates, and willing to play the defensive side of the game.

Loov isn't the type of defenseman that new management is keen on. New management wants to play a heavy possession game...Doubt loov was very strong with the puck on his stick.

I'll say this much...What this organization lacks the most is toughness/willing combatent. It's nice to get a guy who will fight when hes angry and won't back down.

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
Kind of a weird move to subtract defensive depth from the already struggling defensively marlies. Loov is no Shae Webber but he was solid enough and played physical. What happened to Froese?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Will Kalinin even stay in North America if he's staying in the AHL? He hasn't played a minor pro game in 7 years. If the Leafs were to re-sign him, they'd have a qualifying forward body for the expansion draft.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
CF%: 45%
SF%: <44%
xGF%: <44%
GF%: 34%

I hate to call anyone who has made it to the NHL a bad hockey player, but he's a pretty terrible pro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->