Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NJD] TOR Acquires Sergey Kalinin from NJD for Viktor Loov

Harold Ballard

Klutchperi Kapanen
Jan 27, 2017
CF%: 45%
SF%: <44%
xGF%: <44%
GF%: 34%

I hate to call anyone who has made it to the NHL a bad hockey player, but he's a pretty terrible pro.

That's the concensus on the Devils board...difficult transition to NA, took alittle before he looked like he had his "legs",no russian connection to the team, looked out of place at times and then contrary pulls these good/great games once in a while..

There's no russians on the Dukes either, unless Tima speaks ruskie...

BTW NJD poster named Bleedred
HATES this guy...lol

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
That's the concensus on the Devils board...difficult transition to NA, took alittle before he looked like he had his "legs",no russian connection to the team, looked out of place at times and then contrary pulls these good/great games once in a while..

There's no russians on the Dukes either, unless Tima speaks ruskie...

BTW NJD poster named Bleedred
HATES this guy...lol

Valiev is Russian. If he ends up coming up to the Leafs then there will be a ton of Russians with the big club. Zaitsev, Soshnikov, Marchenko and Kalinin. Building a team Russia over here.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How many games does Smith need before we can extend him and dangle for expansion?

member 262271

See you Loov, good luck in the Devils org. Didn't really seem like he was going to get much of a chance with us going forward. Damn though i'll miss his interviews, guy was hilarious.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
So yeah, no expansion draft-based reason for signing him. According to some Devils fans, he had issues with acclimating to the NA game.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
A trade of little to no significance IMHO!

Why are our Leafs trading away D men? I realize Loov was falling on our D depth charts, however, Kalinin isn’t much to write home about either.

I think Loov would have had a better chance of becoming a #6 or #7 D man than Kalinin will have at being a full time forward for our Leafs.

This deal has to be a Marlies only trade.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If we re-sign him he meets the requirements for exposure to Vegas I believe.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
A trade of little to no significance IMHO!

Why are our Leafs trading away D men? I realize Loov was falling on our D depth charts, however, Kalinin isn’t much to write home about either.

I think Loov would have had a better chance of becoming a #6 or #7 D man than Kalinin will have at being a full time forward for our Leafs.

This deal has to be a Marlies only trade.

I agree Kalinin's stats aren't to write home about... however he's 6'3, skates very well and has an edge to his game/not to mention ok offensive ability (for a player with size and some toughness anyhow).

Again...color me intrigued. 6'3 Center, can skate very well, has pretty good hands, captained his KHL team, decent fighter... if there is anything a player can get better at in a hurry, it's face-offs.

Seems like the type of player that fits better with Martin/cycle game of a 4th line team than Smith. Could he be called up once Smith reaches the expansion games played #?

Would Kalinin have to pass through waivers to play in the NHL?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
What's his upside?

I'd probably say bottom 6 role player. Although you could have said the same thing about Richard Panik, and he turned into a nice player for Chicago.

If we brought him back next year, we could potentially use him in the 13th forward role or as veteran depth on the Marlies. However, you could say the same thing about Froese, C. Smith, B. Smith (if he's not traded) and Griffith, never mind guys like Leipsic who would have to go through waivers if they don't make the team or are not traded.

Most likely Kalinin will be let go next year and will go back to the KHL. At least we didn't pay a lot for the rental, and I'm sure Zaitsev doesn't mind having another Russian in the organization, even if he's only in the AHL and he doesn't last beyond this year.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'd probably say bottom 6 role player. Although you could have said the same thing about Richard Panik, and he turned into a nice player for Chicago.

If we brought him back next year, we could potentially use him in the 13th forward role or as veteran depth on the Marlies. However, you could say the same thing about Froese, C. Smith, B. Smith (if he's not traded) and Griffith, never mind guys like Leipsic who would have to go through waivers if they don't make the team or are not traded.

Most likely Kalinin will be let go next year and will go back to the KHL. At least we didn't pay a lot for the rental, and I'm sure Zaitsev doesn't mind having another Russian in the organization, even if he's only in the AHL and he doesn't last beyond this year.

Agreed, leafs definitely have a lack of open spots, for all their strong marlies who themselves deserve chances. However, Kalinin brings a much different element than any of the players you listed.

- All the players you listed are 6' or less.
- All the players you listed lack a power game

- Froese got his chance/wasn't good enough to be brought back
- Griffith seemed to be in Babs doghouse before he even put on a Leaf sweater
- C.Smith isn't going to get an NHL chance

Seems Babcock wants his 4th line to have size, strength, and play a strong cycle game. Of all the current Marlies players, Lindberg, Gauthier, Rychel are the only ones who fit that interest. Gauthier being the only Centre of the 3 (however I'm unsure if the marlies/leafs are going to play Kalinin as a Centre...sounds like the Marlies are).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad