Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NJD] TOR Acquires Sergey Kalinin from NJD for Viktor Loov

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Look at the posts overall, Loov isn't considered to be as high a level as he is. He's been surpassed.

He's been clearly passed as prospects by Nielsen and Dermott yes but given the need to have called up 1 of them right now Loov should have been a choice ahead of them(but still behind Valiev) because you want them playing a lot of minutes every game until you deem them ready.

I don't believe Holl has passed him in any regard. I read this forum fairly often and have read very little about Holl as an option.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
I think this is an expansion draft related move. We didn't have anyone beside Smith to expose that would qualify for the 40/70. And even Smith needs to be extended before that happens.

Last edited:

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I still think Loov could end up being a bottom pairing Defenseman. He didn't look too bad last year for us.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He also played with Zaistev for Russia U20 or something like that. Not that it makes a difference but interesting connection.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I think this is an expansion draft related move. We didn't have anyone beside to expose that would qualify for the 40/70.and even Smith needs to be extended before that happens.

I feel like a noob for asking, but what rule is this?

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Aw, how bittersweet it is, to pine after a lost Lööv, and to wonder, if only for a second, if Lööv will remember us so fondly.....

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think this is an expansion draft related move. We didn't have anyone beside to expose that would qualify for the 40/70.and even Smith needs to be extended before that happens.

we still would have to give him a contract prior to the expansion draft for him to qualify too. What would be the difference between giving this guy a contract for expansion purposes or resigning Smith, or Laich?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

FWIW Kalinin was a Lou guy anyway. Even though technically Shero signed him, he credited Lou with scouting/laying the groundwork to sign Kalinin during the GM transition here.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
will always remember this goal from kalinin

he has/had potential to really use his body and drive the net, but for a long time now, he's just been going around the perimeter.

i saw someone post that loov has a good personality - so does kalinin

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
we still would have to give him a contract prior to the expansion draft for him to qualify too. What would be the difference between giving this guy a contract for expansion purposes or resigning Smith, or Laich?

Smith and Laich are UFAs if im not mistaken. I doubt they sign here with the cloud of being moved arcross the continent to Vegas. They control their own destiny and likely wouldn't sign... moreso Laich as i think Smith might not sign.

Whereas Kalinin may not have a choice being an RFA.

-------

Eventhough he is exempt, could we still make him available?

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
will always remember this goal from kalinin

he has/had potential to really use his body and drive the net, but for a long time now, he's just been going around the perimeter.

i saw someone post that loov has a good personality - so does kalinin

yeah he stuck out to me (among the NJ depth Fs) for some reason when I watched NJ play, but I can't exactly remember if it was him or Lappin :laugh: Wood also stuck out too.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm

Smith only takes one slot from the 40/70 qualified forwards. Didn't think Laich wants to sign with us to play in Marlies. Nor do we want Laich to be taking a contract spot if we will never going to bring him up.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Smith and Laich are UFAs if im not mistaken. I doubt they sign here with the cloud of being moved arcross the continent to Vegas. They control their own destiny and likely wouldn't sign... moreso Laich as i think Smith might not sign.

Whereas Kalinin may not have a choice being an RFA.

Lets be real here, Vegas wouldn't take either, even if they had to take 6 guys from every team.

They also might be in tough to find an NHL contract this offseason, especially Laich, if Toronto offered them one for sure right now they'd be stupid to not take it.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I liked Loov, but it's not the end of the world. I thought he had an outside shot for a spot on the team next year, even if in a 7D role, but the Leafs can live without him. He'd only have a spot for like one year. The main problem is the Marlies may not be able to handle the loss. They are already very shallow on defense, especially shut down guys like Loov, and now they have even fewer guys back there. I guess Gudbranson made a really good impression in his first two games and will be there to stay.

My thinking is that the Leafs need a depth forward. Leivo/Sosh may be traded and they won't want anyone from the Marlies up for the 13th forward. Not going to stick a young guy in a depth role when they have good ice time on the Marlies, and the vets they have down there are either being used by the team often or injured. You aren't wasting talent by putting Kalinin as the 13th forward.

This deal means little on it's own, but I do think it's a precursor to another (possibly bigger) deal(s).

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I'm confused... the Devils just waved him yesterday!

And he cleared. Lou obviously wanted him, as pointed out he was one of Lou's last acquisitions here and Lou LOVES to re-acquire guys. This trade was done because of the # of contracts. You guys don't take on an additional contract and we get a depth D-Man for Albany which we needed + save a little money. Thats really the only benefit. Neither of these guys are a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00