Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Just a case of haters moving the goal line. From the last thread:

First, it was, "You can't keep all those great players while keeping your good, secondary players."
Then it was, "Okay you kept them, but you will have to fill out your roster with plugs making league minimum." Meanwhile, Dubas signs capable players in Spezza, Mikheyev, and others to cheap deals.

Now it's, "All that money for Marner and Co. who have never won a round in the playoffs" and "Most of your D are UFAs next year."

It's just comical to me how the haters keep moving the goal line, just to get served crow time and time again. When the Leafs win a playoff round next year, and a suitable outcome is found to shore up the D, what will be the next failed mantra?

It will never end unless they win a cup. That's OK, I like the chirping. We all should.

Reactions: HabsInsider

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Not sure what you mean. Everybody got paid. But there is a difference between getting paid and getting paid like you won something The Leafs are rewarding/overpaying people before they won.
You've gotta be real lucky and have great timing to win a cup with a core on ELC. A LOT has to go right. That's not fair. So teams shouldn't sign players to term until they 'win' something? Team success shouldn't be used in an individual contract, imo.

But on the flipside, look at Kane & Toews. They signed those matchy matchy deals after they won. 100% team wouldn't mind paying them anything because they brought Cup back to Chicago.

You can always debate it but I hate hearing how "Your players haven't accomplished anything, why pay them?"

These guys got paid for what they did on their ELC along with future growth. Isn't that how it should work? There can only be one Stanley Cup winner each year. Everyone else is a loser.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Draisaitl is better than Marner at 8.5 mill (which at the time everyone knocked that deal). Fast forward at 10.8, Marner is massively overpaid. When you have 4 players at over 40 million of your cap space. Ouch.
And now you think Drai is better. I guess it goes to show that people should knock a deal and claim overpayment before the player has played a few seasons under their deal. Good point. I hope the other whining posters heed that point.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
There's no way any of them sign for more than this.

So the Leafs have 3 of the 7 highest AAVs in the NHL.

While not having a top-7 player in the NHL.
There is some ne way- if they negotiate for a higher AVV, but you are right Marner was the top guy with the possible exception of Point.

Reactions: TheBigThree

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I dunno

even the Oilers won a playoff series in the last decade...plus our stars signed for max term
There's not gonna be long left on those deals when the Oilers are back in the playoffs unfortunately. That's the crux. Pay for a time where you are going to be a shoe in for the playoffs.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
There's no way any of them sign for more than this.

So the Leafs have 3 of the 7 highest AAVs in the NHL.

While not having a top-7 player in the NHL.

So much salt in this thread. People can't handle that Dubas got the signed and have to take shots like this or run around screaming about next year. Leafs are icing a good team, and will prove people wrong again. Nothing will change, people will pretend they never said these things and pick something else.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
And now you think Drai is better. I guess it goes to show that people should knock a deal and claim overpayment before the player has played a few seasons under their deal. Good point. I hope the other whining posters heed that point.
You'd rather have Marner with his deal over Drai with his deal?

JustinCase

Dec 1, 2018
Ontario
So glad that this got done, and will not be hanging over the team like a bad smell until December.
The 6 year term is definitely better than the rumoured 3 that has been floating around, and I'm happy that the number came in under 11 Million.

I don't know why people insist on bashing Dubas.
Say what you will about his negotiating skills, but he has done nothing but silence his detractors since taking over as GM.

According to fans and experts, we were told the following:

No way the Leafs keep their big 4 forwards.
One of the 3 key RFA's will be getting an offer sheet
Leafs will definitely have to trade one of Kapanen or Johnson.
The 3rd year of the Marleau contract will cripple the team.
Zaitsev's contract is untradeable.
There's no money to improve the defence.

He has delivered on all his promises, so when people continue to say that he won't be able to ice a competent defence next season, I can't help but look at his track record thus far, and feel confident that he can and he will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad