Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Just a case of haters moving the goal line. From the last thread:

First, it was, "You can't keep all those great players while keeping your good, secondary players."
Then it was, "Okay you kept them, but you will have to fill out your roster with plugs making league minimum." Meanwhile, Dubas signs capable players in Spezza, Mikheyev, and others to cheap deals.

Now it's, "All that money for Marner and Co. who have never won a round in the playoffs" and "Most of your D are UFAs next year."

It's just comical to me how the haters keep moving the goal line, just to get served crow time and time again. When the Leafs win a playoff round next year, and a suitable outcome is found to shore up the D, what will be the next failed mantra?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Not sure what you mean. Everybody got paid. But there is a difference between getting paid and getting paid like you won something The Leafs are rewarding/overpaying people before they won.

I'm equally lost where you're getting the idea that winning the Cup impacts salaries when it very obviously doesn't.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Sure they're contenders for the foreseeable future, but 3 years from now they might have to make a hard decision, ever thought about that
Haha suckers, having all that talent is the worst, it's not like your icing a contender this year when that star studded group takes up the highest cap proportion they will on their contract, how will you do it again?

Reactions: al secord

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm glad the Leafs are paying young players for what they might do in future for the Leafs instead of paying old players for what they did in the past with other teams.

I'm sick of seeing the likes of Owen Nolan, Eric Lindros, Brian Leetch and Ron Francis long past their prime. Give me the best years of the young guys they have now and then move on from them too as time goes by.
Sure. But it's better to just not overpay period. Like a lot of the Leaf's competition have done when signing their top players. In a non Cap world you wouldn't care but in a Cap world the Leaf's competitors have a huge advantage.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
What will you say at the start of the next season, I wonder... And then, when the time comes to extend Rielly.
What about when Nick Robertson comes out of his ELC in 4 or 5 years. What about the Leafs' 2028 draft pick that will need a contract?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Sure. But it's better to just not overpay period. Like a lot of the Leaf's competition have done when signing their top players. In a non Cap world you wouldn't care but in a Cap world the Leaf's competitors have a huge advantage.
We haven't over-paid anyone.

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
You act is if winning a playoff round is a given. Pretty arrogant.

I was responding to comments claiming that Marner and Co. make too much money for players that have never won a playoff round.

I'm just saying that the haters are setting themselves up for defeat, if and when the Leafs do win a playoff round, as they are continually proven wrong. Will they admit it? Most won't. They will move on and begin parroting the next cynical or negative thought.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Sure they're contenders for the foreseeable future, but 3 years from now they might have to make a hard decision, ever thought about that
Yes, absolutely.

All these contracts will be easy to move if and when it comes time to make room for younger, better players.

Front-loaded contracts are appealing to a lot of team's in their final high cap-hit, low-salary years.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
What will you say at the start of the next season, I wonder... And then, when the time comes to extend Rielly.

I guess I'll say I'm so glad they drafted so many D men who are still on ELCs.

I know, it's tough to accept the Leafs are a good team again. Need a hug?

Reactions: Ciao

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
We'll be ok, worst case is trade one of the top 9 2-3M players for a dman.

Mikheyev2.2Matthews11.634Nylander6.963
Hyman2.25Tavares11Marner10.893
Johnsson3.4Kerfoot3.4Kapanen3.2
Agostino0.7Gauthier0.7Korshkov0.925
Moore0.775
Rielly5Barrie7.5
Dermott3Hometown UFA1.1
Sandin0.894Liljegren0.863
Harpur0.8Schmaltz0.8
Andersen5
Woll0.8
Kessel1.2
Salary84.997
Cap space0.003
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Lol! :laugh:
I wonder what you would have predicted for Marner and Matthews before the negotiations began. Both are major over payments based on other comparables.
I don't remember what I predicted to Matthews, but for Marner I hoped he would sign for 9.5. Clearly, I was wrong on that, but in my defense I said above Nylander, but less than Matthews and Tavares.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'm equally lost where you're getting the idea that winning the Cup impacts salaries when it very obviously doesn't.

It doesnt always happen but some time it's a justifcation for overpaying players. Also after you won, you can afford to overspend as you already have a team that can win. When you havent won, there may be more "building" to do.

Anyway, I dont care. It's the Leafs problem. Not mine LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad