Confirmed with Link: [TOR] Maple Leafs Re-Sign Peter Holland [2 years/$775K AAV]

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Peter Holland ‏@PeterHolland13 4h
Decent day. Sign a new contract and dunk a hole-in-one!! No bounce, straight in pic.twitter.com/6htaUvUwEn

I'd say he had a good day.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I'd say nine guys have spots in the top 12 so far: Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Bozak, Lupul, Komarov, Clarkson, Kontiola and Santorelli, with only the last two having any doubts about their position.

That means Holland, Frattin, Bodie, Ashton, Smith (and Orr) fighting for the last three spots, with Nylander taking one of them if he impresses enough at training camp. Of that group, I think Holland has the best shot at making it by a decent margin, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in the lineup.

I don't hate Komarov-Holland-Frattin as a "fourth" line that can play a steady 10 minutes a night and more if they earn it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't know if Kontiola or Santorelli have anything locked up. The whole point is competition.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I like how he received a paycut. In the past they probably would have just given him an even $2 million for nothing...

He'll make around 230k more this season than he did last season because this is a one way deal.

CalgaryLeaf*

meh

I have absolutely no expectation that Holland will add anything to the Leafs lineup (if he even makes the team)...He's just another scrub that'll take up a roster spot until the team gets better.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Does the one way contract guarantee him a roster spot with the leafs for the entire season?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
They signed Bernier for $2.9M before he put those numbers up. Reimer's looking at $3+ pretty easily.
They signed Bernier with the expectation that he will "fight for the starting job." Reimer will be the back-up and that will be said time and time again if he goes to arbitration.

Arbitration won't be pretty for Franson or Reimer, even if they "cash in"

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What about waivers? Would he have to clear them if demoted?

Yes, but that is based on games played in the NHL and number of years since he signed his ELC.

This contract doesn't effect waivers and from now on Holland would need to clear NHL waivers to play in the AHL.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Yes, but that is based on games played in the NHL and number of years since he signed his ELC.

This contract doesn't effect waivers and from now on Holland would need to clear NHL waivers to play in the AHL.

So essentially, if he makes the team he'll be sticking because they won't want to lose him on waivers.

Can't picture a young C with decent size and skill not getting snatched up.

Hypothetically speaking if they sour on him after he makes the big club or someone like Kontiola steps up and takes his spot, I suppose they could just deal him.

I'm thinking that they must be pretty high on Holland though if they gave him a two year deal.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That's the whole point of arbitration. how can it not look pretty for those two if they cash in?
Never fun to hear how awful you are and how little your team thinks of you. It'll be nice on their pocket book, but I doubt Reimer will like hearing that he's a poor back-up who couldn't win down the stretch, had to be replaced and will not be fighting for playing time this team.

Just like I'm sure Franson won't like being blamed for the high GA or being shown that the team has purposely brought in RH shots to push him down/out of the line-up.

Not too many players leave Arbitration on good terms with the team.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I'd say nine guys have spots in the top 12 so far: Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Bozak, Lupul, Komarov, Clarkson, Kontiola and Santorelli, with only the last two having any doubts about their position.

That means Holland, Frattin, Bodie, Ashton, Smith (and Orr) fighting for the last three spots, with Nylander taking one of them if he impresses enough at training camp. Of that group, I think Holland has the best shot at making it by a decent margin, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in the lineup.

I don't hate Komarov-Holland-Frattin as a "fourth" line that can play a steady 10 minutes a night and more if they earn it.

Leivo could fight for a spot too.

I'd take Leivo, Holland and Frattin as my last 3.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
They signed Bernier with the expectation that he will "fight for the starting job." Reimer will be the back-up and that will be said time and time again if he goes to arbitration.

Arbitration won't be pretty for Franson or Reimer, even if they "cash in"

Pretty sure arbitration hearings don't care about the player's role going forward but what he has accomplished to this date and past comparable with similar games played and results will be used.

Leafs would be foolish to go to arbitration with any of them and burn all the bridges in the event. Reimer on a 1 year deal at Bernier money is totally fine and reasonable. Bernier had less games played and track record when he got that money. Bernier career save % of .918 is a bit better than Reimer's .914 but Reimer has more GP.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
With them signed that leaves us $11M in capspace with Gardiner, Franson, and Reimer to be signed. I imagine Franson is on the way out but with $6M(which is generous) allocated for Gardiner and Reimer, that leaves us with $5M in space with Orr still on the roster (which is unlikely).

FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($8.000m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / Matt Frattin ($0.800m)
Leo Komarov ($2.950m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.500m) / Peter Holland ($0.775m)
Carter Ashton ($0.851m) / Petri Kontiola ($1.100m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Troy Bodie ($0.600m) / Trevor Smith ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Jake Gardiner ($2.700m) / Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m)
Morgan Rielly ($0.894m) / Stephane Robidas ($3.000m)
Petter Granberg ($0.800m) / Roman Polak ($2.750m)
Korbinian Holzer ($0.788m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
James Reimer ($2.500m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Komisarek ($0.000m)
Mikhail Grabovski ($0.000m)
Tim Gleason ($0.833m)
RETAINED SALARIES (0.29% of upper limit)
Carl Gunnarsson ($0.200m—6.35%)
BONUS OVERAGE
$450,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,790,500; BONUSES: $950,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,209,500

$11 million for Gardiner, Reimer, and Franson.

Gardiner should sign a bridge deal. 2 years at $2 million per year.

Reimer is a Good Guyâ„¢ and will take a discount to keep playing with the Leafs. What a Good Guyâ„¢. 1 year deal at $2 million per year.

That leaves $7 million for Franson. Give Franson 6 years at $4.5 million per year (heavily front-loaded, with millions in signing bonuses).

That leaves us with $2.5 million of cap space breathing room, which should help cover call-ups and injuries throughout the year.

DEFENSEMEN
Jake Gardiner ($2.000m) / Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m)
Korbinian Holzer ($0.788m) / Cody Franson ($4.500m)
GOALTENDERS
James Reimer ($2.000m)

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013

Reimer is a Good Guy™ and will take a discount to keep playing with the Leafs. What a Good Guy™. 1 year deal at $2 million per year.

That leaves $7 million for Franson. Give Franson 6 years at $4.5 million per year (heavily front-loaded, with millions in signing bonuses).

That leaves us with $2.5 million of cap space breathing room, which should help cover call-ups and injuries throughout the year.

DEFENSEMEN
Jake Gardiner ($2.000m) / Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m)
Korbinian Holzer ($0.788m) / Cody Franson ($4.500m)
GOALTENDERS
James Reimer ($2.000m)

Can't seem to figure out if you're being sarcastic or serious :shakehead

I'd rather give Franson away for free then sign him for anything more than 3mil and short term, and even then I'd rather trade his rights away for a 2nd/3rd round pick. Franson was a huuuge liability last season, doesn't come close to making up for it even with his 33 points

Gardiner is probably going to get 2.75-2.9m, 2 year bridge contract and Reimer probably between 2.25-2.75mil for 1 year

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
I thought the Franson contract he suggested was excessive as well and I don't mind him as a player.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
its a cheap contract. its only value if he plays.

its the right thing for him to do. looks like he has a smart agent. his cap hit is manageable enough that it allows him to stay with the leafs rather then risk getting waived and going g-d knows where.

i dont see how orr is not the odd man out. also 100% smith is on the marlies so these are our 13 forwards.

considering we gave up a 2nd for holland he wont be the one getting waived.

i would be interested to see holland with lupul and kadri. i think ultimately given clarksons cap hit he will be slotted on the 2nd line but if he plays like last year it will be short lived.

i also wouldnt mind holland on the 3rd line with kontiola and clarkson. clarkson had some chemistry with holland so they might make a good match.

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kadri-frattin/ashton
kontiola-holland-clarkson
komorov-santorelli-bodie/frattin/ashton

Santa is not a 4th liner. He was Van 2nd best player before injury.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto

Reimer is a Good Guyâ„¢ and will take a discount to keep playing with the Leafs. What a Good Guyâ„¢. 1 year deal at $2 million per year.

LMFAO what?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'd like to see Holland and Lupul paired up and have Clarkson as the third linemate. Our problem last season wasn't scoring, but poor defensive play on the top line. Kadri would form a much more effective pair with Kontiola who is defensive responsible, creative and can finish too. The third line mate could be Frattin who can be effective if he uses his body a lot more consistently.

Lupul - Holland - Clarkson

Kontiola - Kadri - Frattin ( Note: Would be amazing to see!)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad