Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs extend Kerfoot (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

Feb 24, 2017
I don't get what's not to like.

Even if it doesn't work out (which is strange to me because a defensive playmaking player is exactly what our bottom-6 needs), it's a very moveable contract lmao. I get Avs fans hate him, and I'm sure a lot of Leaf fans will too, but his underlying stats showed a crazy improvement over his rookie season and he looks like a guy that could potentially even improve. Even if he regresses a bit, it's fine because he's probably worth that contract.

Why can't you guys just be happy we gave you a fantastic borderline 1C on a sweetheart deal, and we got back a top-pairing D and a solid 3C/Top-9 wing, and stop trashing this guy all over the place.
I apologize if I am mistaken but haven’t Avalanche fans and advanced statistics shown that kerfoot and defensive are mutually exclusive things?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Like it for Toronto, unlike the Ceci contract

Ceci won't be long term lol

We just wanted to get rid of Zeitsev's term, and have to deal with a year of Ceci.......unless he turns it around in the right role.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Every single f***ing time.

Why is it that every single time that an Avalanche player is involved in a trade/trade rumour, every other fanbase seems to think they know more about the guy than Avs fans do? Especially those posting from the east. You guys have seen Kerfoot play like what...2 times?

It's not even about winning or losing a trade. It's just infuriating listening to ignorant people over and over spouting their uninformed opinions about players as they think numbers on a spreadsheet is fact.

Patrik Nemeth was the whipping boy.

Nemeth preferred icing.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
From Avs fans I'm getting a very Bozak'y vibe (but faster). Vanilla guy, pass first, good on faceoffs, not defensive enough to be your typical 3C, not offensive enough to really be a top 6 C, gets a disproportionate amount of flak because he fits no ones mold.
Yah pretty much. Bozak is a better hockey player but not by much. Kerfoot skates well and he works hard. He should do fine in Toronto and im saying this as a Kerfoot hater.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Hate to say it, Toronto has more offensive depth which will benefit Kerfoot.

He scores any more points, his contract will look like a steal.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Every single ****ing time.

Why is it that every single time that an Avalanche player is involved in a trade/trade rumour, every other fanbase seems to think they know more about the guy than Avs fans do? Especially those posting from the east. You guys have seen Kerfoot play like what...2 times?

It's not even about winning or losing a trade. It's just infuriating listening to ignorant people over and over spouting their uninformed opinions about players as they think numbers on a spreadsheet is fact.

Nemeth preferred icing.
Try reading this thread from the beginning and pretend you're a Leaf fan. You think Colorado fans have it bad? Lol

Reactions: TML Dynasty

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
With $3,765,301 in capspace. They will have to use LTIR this year. He is going to have to get creative accounting to make that happen with Marner his no. 1 priority not signed. He left the no.1 priority to last. Should be interesting.

Wow you truly are clueless in your posts.

Except you say everything so confidently that an uninformed person would likely take your word as fact.

JGuardz

Dec 22, 2009
Putting up 25 ES points from the soft minutes he was in sucks. Period.

And this is even before getting into his playoff performance, where he was left in the dust and didn't record a single primary point in 12 games from 15 minutes of 2nd line icetime. There's a reason Colorado is completely rebuilding their 2nd line.

Kadri put up 31 ES points playing soft minutes....does he suck too? :help:

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Over the past two season I was lucky enough to catch 140 games give or take a few.

Kerfoot first year first month we thought he looked like a poor mans kayria than nothing much more happened so it was a poor mans tanguay at about the 35ish game mark. never did much he likes to put points up when you're down to far or up to much in the end. Pucks hit him alot and so go in probably half his goals?? anyway by end of season not much more progression. This season I thought ok hopefully he can put up a 50 point season but truthfully since season one he's more of the same and not much room left to grow IMO he is what he is a somewhat talented offensive player with a a weak shot some ok playmaking and that's it don't expect him to be a good 3C if you want any defense from him you will be very left down feeling.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Over the past two season I was lucky enough to catch 140 games give or take a few.

Kerfoot first year first month we thought he looked like a poor mans kayria than nothing much more happened so it was a poor mans tanguay at about the 35ish game mark. never did much he likes to put points up when you're down to far or up to much in the end. Pucks hit him alot and so go in probably half his goals?? anyway by end of season not much more progression. This season I thought ok hopefully he can put up a 50 point season but truthfully since season one he's more of the same and not much room left to grow IMO he is what he is a somewhat talented offensive player with a a weak shot some ok playmaking and that's it don't expect him to be a good 3C if you want any defense from him you will be very left down feeling.

He will a about 3 times a year get in tight and roof it but like I said happens very rarely and and is not a normal thing from him.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
You'd think a professional troll like Interactif would do a little research before posting such obvious fallacies . Unless he's one of those who believe being deliberately obtuse makes you seem clever.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Kerfoot is very comparable to PA Parenteau. If you thought Parenteau was a two-way stud then so is Kerfoot.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I find it hilarious some think we are downplaying him while at the same time we are talking up Barrie. He is skilled, but seriously flawed.

Last season he started out the year with 18 points in 23 games, during the next 47 games he had a grand total of 16 points with 7 goals. That's a pace of 28 points over the full season, with 12 goals. Of those 16 points a grand total of 4 were on the PP where he played over 2mins per game.

During his hot start of the season, 8 of his 18 points came on the PP, 2 of it being goals. As for the hot end to the season, he can thank Mikko getting injured for that. As soon as Mikko got better and returned he wilted away again getting 3 points in 12 games in the playoffs.

Reactions: qqaz and shadow1

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I find it hilarious some think we are downplaying him while at the same time we are talking up Barrie. He is skilled, but seriously flawed.

Last season he started out the year with 18 points in 23 games, during the next 47 games he had a grand total of 16 points with 7 goals. That's a pace of 28 points over the full season, with 12 goals. Of those 16 points a grand total of 4 were on the PP where he played over 2mins per game.

During his hot start of the season, 8 of his 18 points came on the PP, 2 of it being goals. As for the hot end to the season, he can thank Mikko getting injured for that. As soon as Mikko got better and returned he wilted away again getting 3 points in 12 games in the playoffs.
It really was a pathetic effort from Kerfoot. Playing with playoff beast MacKinnon + Landeskog and doing nothing valuable on the ice.

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
If Kerfoot puts up 30 points in a 3c role, I’m good with this.

I saw a couple games, didn’t need price him..onenof them being the Sodderberg hat trick game.

So far, I’m pretty happy with Dubas. The only deal I’m questioning him on is the Ceci contract. He must see some potential there..and it’s only a year, so who knows on that one. Moving Z and Brown for anyone still makes sense...and if we get a year of “just ok” rhd, I’m ok with that too.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
FWIW Hyman and Dermott are both starting the season on LTIR. Hyman is out until November and Dermott is similar.
LTIR means cap savings. So the $9.7 in cap room right now will be over $10 after you factor in LTIR.

Also: I trust the Leafs management and cap guys like Pridham and Gillman over people on this site who think they know more.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Kerfoot is a classic “cotton candy” player. A guy whose statistical profile is greater than his substantive impact of the game. It’s not a bad contract - maybe a little high on commitment but he was going to get around that AAV one way or another as a 40 point scorer. Some of the terms used by Avs fans in this thread may seem inflammatory but they are really more a reflection of frustration to me than saying Kerfoot is a total scrub who can’t play in the NHL which is clearly not the case.

Reminds me as an Avs fan of a little role reversal a few years back. It was the trade deadline and we acquired Mikkel Boddker from the Coyotes. Was one of many prettty excited. Boddker seemed really a great get on the face of it. Young, fast and one of the Coyotes leading scorers. Funny thing though, Yotes fans were pretty happy to be rid of him. Seemed odd. Didn’t or wouldn’t believe them even though they had years of watching the guy. Cmon, just sour grapes. Turned out they were right and Boddker was exactly the empty calorie PP point getting, lightweight and excruciatingly inconsistent player they said he was. Not a “bad” player, more a frustrating one with zero tears when he left and could potentially be replaced by a more substantive player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad