Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs extend Kerfoot (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I find it hilarious some think we are downplaying him while at the same time we are talking up Barrie. He is skilled, but seriously flawed.

Last season he started out the year with 18 points in 23 games, during the next 47 games he had a grand total of 16 points with 7 goals. That's a pace of 28 points over the full season, with 12 goals. Of those 16 points a grand total of 4 were on the PP where he played over 2mins per game.

During his hot start of the season, 8 of his 18 points came on the PP, 2 of it being goals. As for the hot end to the season, he can thank Mikko getting injured for that. As soon as Mikko got better and returned he wilted away again getting 3 points in 12 games in the playoffs.
Honestly, as long as hes not a total bum playing 15 minutes a night, we'll be fine. I'm not expecting a lot from him. If he can put up 40 points and be decent defensively, that's good enough. The Leafs have plenty of firepower, maybe more than any team in the league, he doesnt need to be great. I'm hoping Babcock and co can make him a responsible two-way player. I know that's not what he's known for but in a sheltered role with good wingers beside him, maybe it'll happen.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Kerfoot is going to be interesting to watch this season....i haven't watched much at all, and going by this thread, he's either going to be a decent 3C or a worse trainwreck than the one that killed Jumbo the elephant.....

Reactions: qqaz

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Kerfoot will always have physical limitations especially in the defensive zone but he’s not a dumb or lazy player. The Leafs have successfully deployed a guy like Hyman in the past as an effective “third wheel” - and while Kerfoot is a different type of player, the Leafs have such quality depth up front that I think they can find a spot for him for a few years. By the end you’ll want somebody better but that’s the story for most teams and their depth players now isn’t it?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Honestly, as long as hes not a total bum playing 15 minutes a night, we'll be fine. I'm not expecting a lot from him. If he can put up 40 points and be decent defensively, that's good enough. The Leafs have plenty of firepower, maybe more than any team in the league, he doesnt need to be great. I'm hoping Babcock and co can make him a responsible two-way player. I know that's not what he's known for but in a sheltered role with good wingers beside him, maybe it'll happen.

Don't get me wrong, he is not a bad player. If you surround him with shooters and put him in an offensive role he can do well. If not, that 47 game stretch might happen.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Don't get me wrong, he is not a bad player. If you surround him with shooters and put him in an offensive role he can do well. If not, that 47 game stretch might happen.

The leafs don't have anyone as bad as Jost or Compher in their top 9. So it should turn out fine for them.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
He's young, relatively cheap and therefor a tradeable asset, and will be exposed in the expansion draft, so, not too worried

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
The leafs don't have anyone as bad as Jost or Compher in their top 9. So it should turn out fine for them.

Sad part is he was playing with Landeskog and MacKinnon in the playoffs and did literally nothing. Can't get much better than those 2.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
FWIW Hyman and Dermott are both starting the season on LTIR. Hyman is out until November and Dermott is similar.
LTIR means cap savings. So the $9.7 in cap room right now will be over $10 after you factor in LTIR.

Also: I trust the Leafs management and cap guys like Pridham and Gillman over people on this site who think they know more.

FWIW, you accumulate cap savings with guys on LTIR if you are cap compliant prior to season (without having the player(s) on LTIR). So if, for example, the Leafs are 2M over the cap in the offseason and put Hyman and Dermott on LTIR to become cap complaint before the season starts, they will not accumulate any cap space the entire time those guys are on LTIR and therefore there won't be any cap room for them on the roster when they are healthy.

So the Leafs need to be cap compliant without LTIR prior to the season starting, if they expect Dermott and Hyman to come back and play this year.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018

That sounds like exactly what most Leafs fans are hoping for. I think we're maybe just a bit more optimistic about the odds of it happening.

Kerfoot doesn't have to be Kadri. He doesn't have to be a pest, or bring sandpaper, or be a shooter. He doesn't even have to drive his line. Just backcheck/forecheck, make some offensive plays, hit the teens in goals, and that's about it. Being less than Kadri is just fine.

The real fact of the matter is that without Kadri, the top 2 centers on the team should be getting more and more ice time. If Kerfoot can do a portion of what Kadri could, it's OK. Matthews/Tavares should make up the rest.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
FWIW, you accumulate cap savings with guys on LTIR if you are cap compliant prior to season (without having the player(s) on LTIR). So if, for example, the Leafs are 2M over the cap in the offseason and put Hyman and Dermott on LTIR to become cap complaint before the season starts, they will not accumulate any cap space the entire time those guys are on LTIR and therefore there won't be any cap room for them on the roster when they are healthy.

So the Leafs need to be cap compliant without LTIR prior to the season starting, if they expect Dermott and Hyman to come back and play this year.

As far as I understand, there are two ways of treating it whether the player is placed on LTIR before or after the season starts.

Horton will likely have to be placed on LTIR before the season starts. One of Marincin/Holl/Harpur ($700k) will be demoted before the starts, as well as a guy like Shore, Petan, or Agostino ($700k). That will free up $5.3m + $1.4m + $3.7m = $10.4m to sign Marner (which is basically the exact compensation before 4 first rounders). Day after the season starts, Hyman and Dermott go on LTIR. A forward and defenceman are called up, and the Leafs have the flexibility they need.

Reactions: Zrinski

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Funny how Dreger was the insider with the scoop on this.

He also called the Ceci signing days ago, and then the announcement of it.

Dreger along with most other insiders have sources that are readily willing to give up numbers for signings. But when it comes to speculation and potential deals, you need to have actual sources on the inside willing to stick their neck out to give him a scoop. I don't think he has people who are willing to do that. Atleast not reliable ones. I think it's very hard to establish that kind of a channel within any franchise and I believe that's one of the reasons why you never see Bob McKenzie for example speculate on stuff usually.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

He also broke the trade, but broke it as “Alexander Kerfoot has been traded to Toronto.”

Must be close with Kerf’s agent or Kerfoot himself.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I love that whenever someone says something slightly negative against a Leafs player, they are labeled a heretic or leafs basher and their opinions are casted aside.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I love that whenever someone says something slightly negative against a Leafs player, they are labeled a heretic or leafs basher and their opinions are casted aside.

It works both ways my friend. Very common for fans to trash a player when they get traded from their team. Human nature.

Reactions: Luminiferous

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
And whoever Colorado is playing are salivating that Kadri will be suspended when they play them.
No worries the Avs knows how to win a playoff round without Kadri he will be able to swoop in to the next one. Ahhh sorry Leafs fans this was so tempting I had to for once we did something good :(

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
It works both ways my friend. Very common for fans to trash a player when they get traded from their team. Human nature.

Except avs fans have been trashing Kerfoot for over a year. It didn't start after the trade. And no avs fans are trashing Barrie.

So your point, while being valid sometimes, isn't valid in this instance.

Barrie is awesome and avs fans are missing him. Kerfoot is meh and avs fans are glad he's gone.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
Holy f***. Big dick kerfoot gets 32 pages to himself. Wish I could say I will miss him

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Except avs fans have been trashing Kerfoot for over a year. It didn't start after the trade. And no avs fans are trashing Barrie.

So your point, while being valid sometimes, isn't valid in this instance.

Barrie is awesome and avs fans are missing him. Kerfoot is meh and avs fans are glad he's gone.

I didn't say that my point was valid for every situation. Just like every Leafs fan on this board isn't jumping down Avs fans throats for speaking poorly about Kerfoot.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

If you ask Leafs fan, they'll say Dreger is a nobody and has as much intel as an HF boards poster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad