Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs extend Kerfoot (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No one is asking him to break out. At $3.5 he's being paid like a #6 forward while to date he has produced like a #5. If he drops back to a #6, guess what? That's what he's being paid as.

And if he drops back to an 8 or 9? Because he got those 5 numbers playing with two of the better players in the NHL. So it’s fine if your plan is to let him play half his time with Tavares and Marner. But if not...

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Putting up 25 ES points from the soft minutes he was in sucks. Period.

And this is even before getting into his playoff performance, where he was left in the dust and didn't record a single primary point in 12 games from 15 minutes of 2nd line icetime. There's a reason Colorado is completely rebuilding their 2nd line.

26 but I guess? It still places him stat wise in the exact place he's being paid for. Playoffs can be a concern but I'd hold off for better samples. Also still doesn't explain your PP1 contention.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It's always nice to see how concerned non-Leaf fans are about every Leafs player there ever was or will be. Sadly, this creepy obsession is not reciprocated, as I don't think about your players at all. Do enjoy spending your entire summer inside typing up essays about my team though, I'd hate to dishearten y'all from the highlight of your life.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
It's always nice to see how concerned non-Leaf fans are about every Leafs player there ever was or will be. Sadly, this creepy obsession is not reciprocated, as I don't think about your players at all. Do enjoy spending your entire summer inside typing up essays about my team though, I'd hate to dishearten y'all from the highlight of your life.
707 replies on a player most on this board weren't even aware of until this trade lololol

Welcome to the mecca Kerfoot - enjoy yr stay

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
From Avs fans I'm getting a very Bozak'y vibe (but faster). Vanilla guy, pass first, good on faceoffs, not defensive enough to be your typical 3C, not offensive enough to really be a top 6 C, gets a disproportionate amount of flak because he fits no ones mold.

Reactions: BoxOfChocolates

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Some of you are crazy.
This is a perfectly fine deal for a solid middle 6 player with some offensive skill. This is a better deal than the Connolly one for instance and yes I'm aware of RFA vs. UFA.

Whether people like to admit it or not, Dubas did pretty well this offseason all things considered. The RFA signings are great, the Kadri trade was good although risky if Barrie walks after next season, the Zaitsev trade was good and they are now to the point where they can sign Marner without having to move a bunch of cap and didn't lose much in the process. The Marleau trade was his only black mark, attaching a 1st is way too much for dumping 1 year of Marleau.

Reactions: axlrose87

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
And if he drops back to an 8 or 9? Because he got those 5 numbers playing with two of the better players in the NHL. So it’s fine if your plan is to let him play half his time with Tavares and Marner. But if not...

Except he didn't spend that much time with them. It's a completely false narrative. At ES he spent 16.6% of his minutes with them. If you look at being on the ice with one of them, it jumps to 28.5%. By far most of his time was spent with Wilson and Calvert, 26 and 27 point forwards. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets 16% of his time with some of Toronto's better players and the bulk of his time with better than 26 and 27 point forwards (heck a bunch of it will be with guys that have almost as many goals as those guys do points).

If you switch to PP, he again only spent 15.6% of his time with those two guys or if you look at at least one of them, it jumps to 37.8%.

Don't forget, Toronto can roll out seven 20 goal scorers versus the 4 Colorado had and they now have basically a 60 point and 70 point d-man versus Colorado's 60 and 27. Babcock loves to spread the wealth so I'm pretty sure he'll get better opportunity with better offensive players (and an offense first system).

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
From Avs fans I'm getting a very Bozak'y vibe (but faster). Vanilla guy, pass first, good on faceoffs, not defensive enough to be your typical 3C, not offensive enough to really be a top 6 C, gets a disproportionate amount of flak because he fits no ones mold.

Funny because Bozak was exactly what I was thinking, especially when someone mentioned plays dying on him. In Kessel's first year he should have easily had 15-20 more points if Bozak could just tap in gimmies. Bozak did improve though.

Last edited:

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010

As an Avs fan I'd say this is pretty accurate.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Seems to me a lot of genius AVs fans think they are smarter than Dubas, Gilman & Pridham. Makes you wonder why they aren’t working for an NHL team. Maybe their application got lost or something.

There's a reason why Sakic went out and signed Donskoi, traded for Burakovsky and gave up Kerfoot for scraps whil. Unless he improves significantly, you're going to wish he was gone sooner than later.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Except he didn't spend that much time with them. It's a completely false narrative. At ES he spent 16.6% of his minutes with them. If you look at being on the ice with one of them, it jumps to 28.5%. By far most of his time was spent with Wilson and Calvert, 26 and 27 point forwards. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets 16% of his time with some of Toronto's better players and the bulk of his time with better than 26 and 27 point forwards (heck a bunch of it will be with guys that have almost as many goals as those guys do points).

If you switch to PP, he again only spent 15.6% of his time with those two guys or if you look at at least one of them, it jumps to 37.8%.

If you’re playing him with a couple of 30 goal scorers at even strength and giving him solid pp time, okay. He’ll put up points. That’s pretty much an ideal situation, so anybody would. But if gets a more standard 3rd line role, you’re going to see his numbers slide.

Last edited:

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
There's a reason why Sakic went out and signed Donskoi, traded for Burakovsky and gave up Kerfoot for scraps whil. Unless he improves significantly, you're going to wish he was gone sooner than later.
Interesting you think Kadri is scraps. Good luck with that one buddy.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
They traded Barrie @50% for Kadri.

The rest is just the packing peanuts it took to get the deal done
No they traded Kadri and Rosen for Kerfoot and Barrie with 50% retained with some picks going both ways. You can’t just chop it up and spin it so it fits some kind of asinine internet narrative.

Reactions: Glacious

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
If you’re playing him with a couple of 30 goal scorers at even strength and giving him solid pp time, okay. He’ll put up points. That’s pretty much an ideal situation, so anybody would. But if gets a more standard 3rd line role, you’re going to see his numbers slide.
by points you mean 40 points

Reactions: tucker3434

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
No they traded Kadri and Rosen for Kerfoot and Barrie with 50% retained with some picks going both ways. You can’t just chop it up and spin it so it fits some kind of asinine internet narrative.

Sure, that's a fine approach.

Not really pushing a "narrative" as my comments in these threads should show, but you do seem to like to jump posts while ignoring their context, so keep firing.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Why? He is 24 years old...it's not like he is 32 years old.

Don't feed the trolls. The deal is quite fine, he was projecting more, and is only 24. He was just the whipping boy in Col.

No player is perfect, but no reason he cannot be a 50 point C on a consistent basis.

How much did Lee and his 51 points sign for in NY? LOL the 30 year old Lee.

Silly posters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad