Post-Game Talk: [TOR/CHI] Leafs lose In OT 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Huge point.

Big fan of Babcock.

But not a fan of his OT strategy of matching lines.

It's pond hockey, send out your best and win it early.

But man he's stubborn..lol

this was the pain babcock was talking about at the start of the season. Seeing Nylander stuck to the bench in OT while Komorov and Hyman are on the ice and seeing Hyman play RW with Matthews all year. That is the pain Babs was talking about lol

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
this was the pain babcock was talking about at the start of the season. Seeing Nylander stuck to the bench in OT while Komorov and Hyman are on the ice and seeing Hyman play RW with Matthews all year. That is the pain Babs was talking about lol

The "Pain" was the Fan complaining component about his decisions, while he was busy trying to get the Leafs into the playoffs.

The "noise" is the "pain", while the "silence" is the "pleasure".. :D

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Nylander earned the bench. His laziness on the backcheck almost saw this game end like the game in San Jose. He was lucky that doesn't end it right there. That may not be the sole reason he sat, but it probably didn't hurt.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Everybody thinking that play was NOT offside is WRONG!

From the mainboard well put by the poster

At first look of the reply I thought this is easy, he has contol therfore it's onside. But he passes it before the puck is completely across the blue line. Therfore he no longer has contol of the puck.

Conclusion: OFFSIDE!

Terrible, even after reviewing they didn't call the play correctly. For this play to be considered onside Panarin has to keep the puck til the puck completely crosses the line.

Embarrassing :facepalm:

Panarin was onside BUT he passed the puck before the puck was completely over the blue line that makes the play "offside"

Refs are effing embarrassing screw jobs

AND

do not forget the blown plenty of men penallty

25ir8dz.png

Every point counts for the Leafs in the racce for playoffs; Refs ****ing it up for the leafs is not going to cut it anymore. Lou has to lodge an official complaint

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Panarin was onside BUT he passed the puck before the puck was completely over the blue line that makes the play "offside"

AND

25ir8dz.png

Every point counts for the Leafs in the racce for playoffs; Refs ****ing it up for the leafs is not going to cut it anymore. Lou has to lodge an official complaint

Well, might have all been moot if they call Boyle for holding behind the net late in the 3rd.

Big Universe that evens up.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Nylander earned the bench. His laziness on the backcheck almost saw this game end like the game in San Jose. He was lucky that doesn't end it right there. That may not be the sole reason he sat, but it probably didn't hurt.

Nylander has a short leash, Rielly's is too long but when you don't have any depth of NHL defenders that is going to happen.

Did Rielly at least waive his stick on the tying goal?

Good effort well earned point, although with any confidence they win it in the OT. Hawks shoot for the win.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

AND

25ir8dz.png

Holy Christ, let it go.

It's over. A complaint doesn't give us the win, another point, and we don't get the two teams back together to see what happens.

I'm glad our organization chooses to conduct themselves with dignity, not acting like this.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Never said he was bad, I see the overwhelming majority here thinking that Andersen stole the Leafs a point. Andersen has been spectacular lately and a very good reason we have points in 5/6 games but last night he didn't steal anything for us.

Leafs had the better chances, if anyone stole anything It's Crawford.

yeah both goalies were good, but crawford did face the tougher chances. and in the end crawford made that one key huge save in OT and Andersen couldn't. Not that Andy wasn't good, though.

All Situations

Corsi: TOR 65 - CHI 66
Fenwick: TOR 47 - CHI 49
Shots: TOR 26 - CHI 39
Chances: TOR 39 - CHI 32
High Danger: TOR 14 - CHI 8

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Nylander has a short leash, Rielly's is too long but when you don't have any depth of NHL defenders that is going to happen.

Did Rielly at least waive his stick on the tying goal?

Good effort well earned point, although with any confidence they win it in the OT. Hawks shoot for the win.

Hey, I'm with you. Proud of the effort, and we deserved better, to be honest. We're gaining confidence since Tampa. We have to finish owning Boston for the year now!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
We've quietly won 4 of 6 and got points in 5 of 6.

yeah since our insane 17gms in 32days stretch (5-7-5) we've looked much better with a more relaxed schedule (4-1-1). We have 7 more games with a mostly relaxed schedule before a pretty tough last 6.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
yeah since our insane 17gms in 32days stretch (5-7-5) we've looked much better with a more relaxed schedule (4-1-1). We have 7 more games with a mostly relaxed schedule before a pretty tough last 6.

that might benefit them.

if we win 4 (and get points in the 3 that we lose). we should be able to split the last tough six without problems. I'm not too scared with WSH/PIT because we played them well (and other teams that aren't super heavy). it's Columbus that bugs me because we always struggle against them.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah there's a decent chance that we (and most teams) will have spots locked up before that last tough stretch which would make it less stressful.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
that might benefit them.

if we win 4 (and get points in the 3 that we lose). we should be able to split the last tough six without problems. I'm not too scared with WSH/PIT because we played them well (and other teams that aren't super heavy). it's Columbus that bugs me because we always struggle against them.

The injury bug is biting the Pens at the moment, and Washington tied up a spot last night. Hopefully this will all factor in.

Can't wait for monday.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

AND

25ir8dz.png

I thought they reviewed the play? wasn't it determined ok because the player was controlling the puck, so he's allowed to cross the blue line before the puck. I agree it did look offside, but this rule makes it ok, I think.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
yeah there's a decent chance that we (and most teams) will have spots locked up before that last tough stretch which would make it less stressful.

I think our tough stretch of games isn't even that tough if we had more rest. What sucks is 6 games in 9 nights, the opponents are tough but we aren't an easy win for any team.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Yeah that wasn't offside

Too many men tho for sure

Leafs still need tons of work on their breakout.
Little bit of pressure & it's flipped to centre ice. Breakout support vanishes.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd

How? We have 79 points right now. Around 93-94 points locks you up so it means we have to win the next 5-6 games to make the last stretch less stressfull. I dont really see that.
It will come down to the last 2-3 games.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I thought they reviewed the play? wasn't it determined ok because the player was controlling the puck, so he's allowed to cross the blue line before the puck. I agree it did look offside, but this rule makes it ok, I think.

According to the rules:

- Panarin was on-side as he had possession of the puck
- Panarin then loses the possession (passes the puck) before the puck has completely crossed the blue line

thus the play is "off-side"

Rule 83 states
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2015-2016-Interactive-rulebook.pdf

Off-side - Players of the attacking team must not precede the puck
into the attacking zone.
The position of the player’s skates and not that of his stick shall be
the determining factor in all instances in deciding an off-side. A player
is off-side when both skates are completely over the leading edge of
the blue line involved in the play.
A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or
on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses
the leading edge of the blue line regardless of the position of his stick.
However, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the
line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,†provided he
had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the
blue line.

It should be noted that while the position of the player’s skates is
what determines whether a player is “off-side,†nevertheless the
question of an “off-side†never arises until the puck has completely
crossed the leading edge of the blue line
at which time the decision is
to be made.

If a player legally carries or passes the puck back into his own
defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in such
defending zone, the off-side shall be ignored and play permitted to
continue

If you read the rule completely then it boils down as follows (mostly follow the red highlighted fonts):

- Panarin was onside as he had the possession of the puck even though his skates entered the blue line before the puck

- Then Panarin passes the puck before the puck has completely crossed the blue line (look at the underlined red font of the rule) thus the play becomes "offside".

Refs blew it! It is embarrassing for them as they reviewed the call and then made a bad call AGAIN!

I am just so sick of the anti-leafs reffing this season

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Offside or not, not really a big deal considering we would've lost in shootout anyways.

We played well enough to deserve a point, but that's it. Hawks were the better team overall

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I will also say zeke. I will 100 percent take my crow, baked please, with a side of humble pie. i firmly believed that we wouldn't be where we are right now (and to be fair, i had history on my side). so regardless if we make it or not you were a lot more right than I was - so, I own it. this team (even if we miss out) - had every capability of being a playoff team this year, not a bottom 5 team

(also to menzinger who said detroit would succcckk, and i was like no they wouldn't. boy do they ever do suck).

The injury bug is biting the Pens at the moment, and Washington tied up a spot last night. Hopefully this will all factor in.

Can't wait for monday.

is washington in the hunt for the presidents trophy this year? (not that ever helps them) but i can totally see WSH for sure do some cycling of players to keep them fresh.

I really hope we put our best foot forward on Monday. (have we played the Julien'less Bruins yet?)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
According to the rules:

- Panarin then loses the possession (passes the puck) before the puck has completely crossed the blue line

Rule 83 states

into the attacking zone.
line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,” provided he
blue line.

what determines whether a player is “off-side,” nevertheless the
question of an “off-side” never arises until the puck has completely
to be made.

continue

If you read the rule completely then it boils down as follows (mostly follow the red highlighted fonts):

- Panarin was onside as he had the possession of the puck even though his skates entered the blue line before the puck

- Then Panarin passes the puck before the puck has completely crossed the blue line (look at the underlined red font of the rule) thus the play becomes "offside".

Refs blew it! It is embarrassing for them as they reviewed the call and then made a bad call AGAIN!

That was what I was thinking, he gave up control of the puck before the puck crossed the line. If it only has to be on the line then it was onside.

Whatever, they just have to win.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
According to the rules:

Rule 83 states

into the attacking zone.
line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,†provided he
blue line.

what determines whether a player is “off-side,†nevertheless the
question of an “off-side†never arises until the puck has completely
to be made.

continue

The question is who has possession when the puck is crossing the leading edge. It's not on Panarin's stick, but it looks like it'd be his possession, so it is onside.

It's not a loose puck, it wasn't knocked off his stick and hasn't made it to the Hawks player. It's a split second after he has released the puck, which seems like (and was ruled) to still be his possession.

100% too many men though for the Hawks there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad