Post-Game Talk: [TOR/CHI] Leafs lose In OT 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Considering the Blackhawks got zero powerplays yesterday, I'm not going to complain.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
The question is who has possession when the puck is crossing the leading edge. It's not on Panarin's stick, but it looks like it'd be his possession, so it is onside.

It's not a loose puck, it wasn't knocked off his stick and hasn't made it to the Hawks player. It's a split second after he has released the puck, which seems like (and was ruled) to still be his possession.

100% too many men though for the Hawks there.

If he's making a pass. The minute it leaves his stick he is no longer in possession of it.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If he's making a pass. The minute it leaves his stick he is no longer in possession of it.
Sadly for us, that's not how the NHL views things.

The other way to look at it is to consider if Panarin was hit, rather than being off-side. Would we all be comfortable saying that's obvious interference? And if so, how many interference calls do you think are missed every game? Has to upwards of 25.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
People still whining about that goal.

We would have lost in shootout anyhow.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The question is who has possession when the puck is crossing the leading edge. It's not on Panarin's stick, but it looks like it'd be his possession, so it is onside.

It's not a loose puck, it wasn't knocked off his stick and hasn't made it to the Hawks player. It's a split second after he has released the puck, which seems like (and was ruled) to still be his possession.

100% too many men though for the Hawks there.

According to the rules if the puck had crossed the blue line "completely" then the pass was made then its a an onside and a good goal.

That wasn't the case.

Also, the leafs have been burned a lot by stupid soft calls against the Leafs for the opposition to tie the game or win the game.

Where are the calls in favour of the Leafs? In the beginning of the season I didn''t say anything as I was hoping that in an 82 game schedule things will eventually even out; but looks like Leafs are always on the receiving end of the BS calls by the zebras.

Refs have influenced the outcome of the games this season, especially the leafs games, instead of players deciding the game.

I am just so sick of it. There has to be an official complaint lodged by Lou. This is BS and leafs bending over to let refs run all over them should not be taken lightly.

Why the F does hawks, pens, bruins, and the ****ing habs always get call in their favour? what is up with that?

This league is becoming a JOKE and refs are 100% to blame for it

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
According to the rules if the puck had crossed the blue line "completely" then the pass was made then its a an onside and a good goal.

That wasn't the case.

Also, the leafs have been burned a lot by stupid soft calls against the Leafs for the opposition to tie the game or win the game.

Where are the calls in favour of the Leafs? In the beginning of the season I didn''t say anything as I was hoping that in an 82 game schedule things will eventually even out; but looks like Leafs are always on the receiving end of the BS calls by the zebras.

Refs have influenced the outcome of the games this season, especially the leafs games, instead of players deciding the game.

I am just so sick of it. There has to be an official complaint lodged by Lou. This is BS and leafs bending over to let refs run all over them should not be taken lightly.

Why the F does hawks, pens, bruins, and the ****ing habs always get call in their favour? what is up with that?

Reffing has been bad league wide all year, it's not just the Leafs.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Maybe next season we end up getting more calls going our way, there's no vendetta it's just been a case of bad luck imo. I hope the players are not as frustrated about the call as you are.

One thing I think people missed is how well Kadri played defensively. He was 88% on the draws last night and led all forwards in ice time. The game was really close imo, even if the shot count don't fully support that. Got to bring that same intensity to the Boston game.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Reffing has been bad league wide all year, it's not just the Leafs.

its not just about the bad reffing but also about influencing the outcome of the game. Leafs have been on the receiving end of bad calls leading to leafs not winning.

the impact on the leaf games is not marginal it has been huge compared to other teams.

It is not about how many calls BUT when the call is made.

Leafs are 14th overall in number of penalties taken
http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?aggre...7&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,&sort=penaltiesMinor

I cannot find a stat but I am pretty sure if the stats were available by period; then leafs would be up there in the number of penalties taken in the 3rd period.

Also, in the 3rd period the number PPs awarded to leafs would be somewhere bottom of the league I am pretty sure of this

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
refs were great in this one imo.

they called one penalty when a clear scoring chance was taken away, but otherwise let them play.

toews didn't deserve a call because he was holding Boyle with his free arm even more than boyle was holding him.

and both the too many men and the offside in OT would have been super chintzy calls.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

That wasn't the case.

Officiating has been bad, we benefitted from a few missed calls last night, but the way that offside rule is written it's onside with how possession is enforced.

Seemed like a well officiated game to me yesterday

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Maybe next season we end up getting more calls going our way, there's no vendetta it's just been a case of bad luck imo. I hope the players are not as frustrated about the call as you are.

One thing I think people missed is how well Kadri played defensively. He was 88% on the draws last night and led all forwards in ice time. The game was really close imo, even if the shot count don't fully support that. Got to bring that same intensity to the Boston game.

I have watched all the games this season and have noticed this bad reffing trend and am really getting frustrated. I emailed the friggen NHLoffcials and the response I got back is that over the long run things usually even out. Well I haven't seen that at least for the Leafs.

Players eventually can get frustrated. How many times have we seen Matthews being hooked, interfered late in the 3rd period and how many calls has Matthews got?

And do you really want me to go on a rant about Kadri's treatment by these a-holes zebra this season?

I am still ticked off for the goal being called back because Kadri feather touched the goalie (not impeding the goalie from stopping the puck); meanwhile the same calls for when our goalie is touched counts as a goal.

how many time Babs called for goalie interference this season and how many times did we get the call in our favour?

It is almost like a conspiracy. Bettman telling the refs: "hey Leafs fans will watch the games regardless of how good or bad their team is so make the calls in favour of other teams we want the revenue from those other teams and their fans have to show up"

I know the conspiracy thing is crazy but quite frankly the way Leafs are treated by the zebras is BS.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Apologies if it's already been brought up in this thread but what is the record for loser points in a season? We're already at 15 and with games tightening up down the stretch and our inability to win game is OT/SO could easily see us getting 3 or 4 more

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i didn't. i was VERY impressed with his play yesterday.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Our OT record is fine. 6-7 is close enough to even luck.

It's just shootouts.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It is almost like a conspiracy. Bettman telling the refs: "hey Leafs fans will watch the games regardless of how good or bad their team is so make the calls in favour of other teams we want the revenue from those other teams and their fans have to show up"

I know the conspiracy thing is crazy but quite frankly the way Leafs are treated by the zebras is BS.

i doubt very much that's the case.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
refs were great in this one imo.

they called one penalty when a clear scoring chance was taken away, but otherwise let them play.

toews didn't deserve a call because he was holding Boyle with his free arm even more than boyle was holding him.

and both the too many men and the offside in OT would have been super chintzy calls.

Mostly agree. The only thing that's bugged me about the "offside" call is some of the posters on the main board saying that it's onside because Panarin had possession and that it doesn't matter what happens next. Some people are legit saying he could do the same thing, pass back to his d-zone (after he crosses the line, but before the puck does), and then cherry pick in the o-zone as long as he wants while being onside... Ridiculous.

Refs were good and the Leafs actually got away with a few things. Could see the Hawks 2 many men going either way (was calling for it when it happened, but after no call I wasn't upset), but the leafs got away with high sticking (for sure), holding/interference on Toews (call could go either way), etc.

Leafs played well against a top team. They play like that the return of the year and they will make the playoffs.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Did anyone pickup who shouted go when Matthews started the give and go with Willie that led to his goal?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If anything, I felt the refs favored us in this game. They missed two calls that are pretty close to automatics usually, and given how hot they are and how our PK has been lately, that might just be the reason we got one point.

I cannot find a stat but I am pretty sure if the stats were available by period; then leafs would be up there in the number of penalties taken in the 3rd period.

Also, in the 3rd period the number PPs awarded to leafs would be somewhere bottom of the league I am pretty sure of this

Sounds reasonable given how often we play the third period on our heels.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Do Leaf fans really think they played a good game?!? They got schooled in the 3rd period. And Chicago showed off a clinic on how to control the puck compared to the Leafs' panic style when they have the puck... like night and day. Yes, it was an OT win and thus, by one goal, but if it wasn't for Andersen, there would have been a lopsided score in the Blackhawks' favour.

The only one who made it close was Andersen and the Blackhawks trying to be too fancy, especially, in OT. The Leafs were awful...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad