Post-Game Talk: [TOR/CHI] Leafs lose In OT 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
You stated that he was offside because he passed the puck.....hence you did believe that the puck was off side.

The rest of your post is lost on me..
sorry for not making myself clear. I mean he was onside as long as he had the puck.

BEERnSOUP

Feb 2, 2015
Yes he DID control the puck while entering the zone.

As stated in the rules, if the player has possession of the puck when crossing the line, which he clearly did, makes him ineligible to be offsides unless he forfeits his right to be in the zone (ie pass the puck BACKWARDS making himself offside). Since he was legally part of the zone, and had possession of the puck at the time of the pass, it was onside as the puck was in the zone before the receiving player crossed it.

Not only does it satisfy the written rule but it also satisfies the spirit in which it was written. As long has he either carries the puck in, or passes/shoots the puck forward once he's established himself as part of the zone (provided another player doesn't cross before the puck does) it's onside. It's not hard to grasp or understand at all.

Can you link me to this part in the rules? maybe it's in a separate passage from what I read. But what I read simple states 1. that the question of offside is only asked when the puck crosses the line. and 2. A player who was in possession of the puck when his skates crossed the line cannot be considered offside.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
You stated that he was offside because he passed the puck.....hence you did believe that the puck was off side.

The rest of your post is lost on me..
Sorry for not making myself clear. I mean he was in the offensive zone before the puck (after he passed the puck.)

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The missed too many men call in OT was the big gaffe by the refs.

That wasn't offside. The league has said before that a player can skate in the zone backwards and be onside if he controls the puck. So I'm not going to worry about breaking down mere millimeters.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We acquitted ourselves extremely well against an elite NHL team. That is all.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
The missed too many men call in OT was the big gaffe by the refs.

That wasn't offside. The league has said before that a player can skate in the zone backwards and be onside if he controls the puck. So I'm not going to worry about breaking down mere millimeters.
That is truth.

The problem is that that player (inside the offensive zone now) lost the puck control, and the puck didn't enter the zone yet. Is he onside or not?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm definitely more bothered by the non call on the too many men situation. If it's the Leafs they get called on that. The guy coming off had the puck and the other guy was on the ice. Who cares if he jumped back off...that gets called most of the time.

Oh well, such is life. Leafs didn't score enough to win. That's just the basic part of it. We did get at least one PP and didn't convert.

Get ready for Boston and another must win. If we want to catch them that is the game to win.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
I'm definitely more bothered by the non call on the too many men situation. If it's the Leafs they get called on that. The guy coming off had the puck and the other guy was on the ice. Who cares if he jumped back off...that gets called most of the time.

Oh well, such is life. Leafs didn't score enough to win. That's just the basic part of it. We did get at least one PP and didn't convert.

Get ready for Boston and another must win. If we want to catch them that is the game to win.

Leafs got away with so many penalties today. There's no way anyone should even think of blaming this game on the refs.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Am I the only one still pissed off about the Hawks having too many men in OT??

The refs ****ing saw it, we all did and they did jack ****.

That's a penalty and it isn't debatable. If the tables were turned and we did that the penalty would've been called in a second.

Also their goal was offside. We would've lost the shootout anyway, so I guess that doesn't matter as much, but man we should've had a 4 on 3 PP.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Really happy with the point tonight.

Don't think we were the better team.

Glad Matthews broke out of the slump.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
That's why Q has more rings than Babcock does. Plus, Babcock doesn't understand 3 v 3 hockey.

Snore....

-Both coaches have been to the final 3 times.
-Babcock has 2 President's trophies vs 0 for JQ
-JQ has coached just under 1500, while Babcock just over 1000 (Basically, only 2/3 as long as JQ)
-Babcock is the only coach in history to achieve Triple Gold club
-Babcock is the only coach in history to win six different national or international titles

These are two of the best coaches in the game, to compare these two as you've done is moronic.

For the rest of the Babcock bashing mouth breathers in this thread, do you really think Babcock is trying everything he can to get this team into the playoffs or is he maybe trying to make sure they are learning how to play this game correctly? We're not winning the cup this year, and probably not next year either. Keep teaching and preparing this golden crop of talent and we might be talking differently in 2018-2020.

Sometimes I think this unexpected early glimpse at "success" is the worst thing that could have happened to this fanbase.

halcyon

Jun 23, 2015
Am I the only one still pissed off about the Hawks having too many men in OT??

The refs ****ing saw it, we all did and they did jack ****.

That's a penalty and it isn't debatable. If the tables were turned and we did that the penalty would've been called in a second.

Also their goal was offside. We would've lost the shootout anyway, so I guess that doesn't matter as much, but man we should've had a 4 on 3 PP.

This isn't true, though. Because the Leafs, in fact, had FIVE men on the ice in OT, and it wasn't called.

A05S2Wh.jpg

This was when Kane and Panarin were on an odd-man rush and two Leafs jumped on the ice early to essentially kill it.

And, let's not complain about penalties being called in a "second" when there was only one team that got a power play all game, and it wasn't the Hawks.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I am with Zeke.....Habs have been very lucky against us this year....they have struggled against fast teams. I would like our chances.

I like our chances too. 14 straight losses to the Habs all the way back to 2014. You were probably still in middle school then. I probably didn't have kids then. Obama was still early in his reign then. Trump was just a humorous TV character back then. George Strombo hadn't even made his HNIC debut yet.

Get the point?

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Snore....

-Both coaches have been to the final 3 times.
-Babcock has 2 President's trophies vs 0 for JQ
-JQ has coached just under 1500, while Babcock just over 1000 (Basically, only 2/3 as long as JQ)
-Babcock is the only coach in history to achieve Triple Gold club
-Babcock is the only coach in history to win six different national or international titles

These are two of the best coaches in the game, to compare these two as you've done is moronic.

For the rest of the Babcock bashing mouth breathers in this thread, do you really think Babcock is trying everything he can to get this team into the playoffs or is he maybe trying to make sure they are learning how to play this game correctly? We're not winning the cup this year, and probably not next year either. Keep teaching and preparing this golden crop of talent and we might be talking differently in 2018-2020.

Sometimes I think this unexpected early glimpse at "success" is the worst thing that could have happened to this fanbase.

Truth! Great for the team, terrible for the fan bases expectations

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I like our chances too. 14 straight losses to the Habs all the way back to 2014. You were probably still in middle school then. I probably didn't have kids then. Obama was still early in his reign then. Trump was just a humorous TV character back then. George Strombo hadn't even made his HNIC debut yet.

Get the point?

I don't think you get the point that Habs beating leafs 14 games ago has nothing to do with habs beating the leafs this season.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
We got a point against one of the best teams in the NHL. We were out played, and out chanced and our goalie stood on his head. I can take this and move on, we are also getting some hockey gods love in that TB lost and NYI lost in OT as well.

They make the playoffs great but they certainly are not SC contenders at this point. The defence looks much better with the new pairings. Right now its just exciting playing meaningful games.

10 point improvement over last year already with 12 games remaining.

Anybody think a call up like Rychel may add some pop to the LW and a possible spark?

horner

May 22, 2007
Brown is so extremely underrated on these boards.

I agree.

He is so much better than I ever thought he was going to be.
- his skill we all knew about
- his skating, hustle, puck retrieval is really good.
- he seems to have a sense of where the play is going.

I love the kids and only see a really bright future for him.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's amazing how much OT can hate us yet constantly dish out points to the Habs.
An extreme contrast going on here.
So many points lost to a crapshoot or life would be a lot more comfortable.

Yeah but I'd rather lose all the bad luck this year rather than our contending years. Habs are in the middle of nowhere, they are neither good enough to tank or good enough to be favorites to win the Cup.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
.949 save percentage, 37 saves on 39 shots, and the only reason we were in overtime in the first place. Are you kidding?

He was alright in the game. I'm sure he would like to have that first goal back.

Crawford was simply better than Andersen in this one and made many more harder saves. If the Blackhawks had the chances we had, the game could easily have been a 7-2 loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad