Post-Game Talk: [TOR/CHI] Leafs lose In OT 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
He was alright in the game. I'm sure he would like to have that first goal back.

Crawford was simply better than Andersen in this one and made many more harder saves. If the Blackhawks had the chances we had, the game could easily have been a 7-2 loss.

To be fair Crawford also has a much better defence in front of him who keeps the number of grade A scoring chances he faces down compared to Andersen who gets hung out to dry way more often. Plus, the game only went to OT because Crawford got lucky and Matthews hit the shaft of his stick

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
To be fair Crawford also has a much better defence in front of him who keeps the number of grade A scoring chances he faces down compared to Andersen who gets hung out to dry way more often. Plus, the game only went to OT because Crawford got lucky and Matthews hit the shaft of his stick

The Leafs had the better chances. Shot attempts were like 52-49? I fail to see how their defense played better than ours in that game at reducing chances. Andersen didn't get hung out to dry at all.

He could have been better. No problem, I'll take a loss with a .949SV because we won't lose many games when he's giving up 1-2 goals.

We got one more point than most people expected so I'll take that as a win.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
This one is for all the people who didn't watch the game or didn't pay attention:

Mirtle:
If you only looked at the shot clock after this game, you would think the Leafs were crushed: 39-26 is very lopsided.

That, in fact, is the eighth most lopsided shot share against them in their 70 games this season.

But I don’t think that figure did a good job of telling the story of the game. The Leafs missed the net a ton, and shot attempts were 66-65 for the Blackhawks. According to Natural Stat Trick, the Leafs led on scoring chances 39-32 and high-danger scoring chances 14-8.

We should have won this game but Crawford was brilliant. He stole it for them.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Snore....

-Both coaches have been to the final 3 times.
-Babcock has 2 President's trophies vs 0 for JQ
-JQ has coached just under 1500, while Babcock just over 1000 (Basically, only 2/3 as long as JQ)
-Babcock is the only coach in history to achieve Triple Gold club
-Babcock is the only coach in history to win six different national or international titles

These are two of the best coaches in the game, to compare these two as you've done is moronic.

For the rest of the Babcock bashing mouth breathers in this thread, do you really think Babcock is trying everything he can to get this team into the playoffs or is he maybe trying to make sure they are learning how to play this game correctly? We're not winning the cup this year, and probably not next year either. Keep teaching and preparing this golden crop of talent and we might be talking differently in 2018-2020.

Sometimes I think this unexpected early glimpse at "success" is the worst thing that could have happened to this fanbase.

Actually Q and the Hawks won the President's Trophy in 2013
Great game though Leaf fans .. you have a bright future and you got a point so onto Boston and yes the playoffs!

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
This one is for all the people who didn't watch the game or didn't pay attention:

Mirtle:

We should have won this game but Crawford was brilliant. He stole it for them.
Nice to see the stats backup what I saw.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
The Leafs had the better chances. Shot attempts were like 52-49? I fail to see how their defense played better than ours in that game at reducing chances. Andersen didn't get hung out to dry at all.

He could have been better. No problem, I'll take a loss with a .949SV because we won't lose many games when he's giving up 1-2 goals.

okay sure, shot attempts were even. But actual shots were 39-26. That's significant

edit: interesting about the scoring chances. Though still I don't think calling Andersen bad is fair

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Nice to see the stats backup what I saw.

Yeah they had some good zone time in the third when Toews line was against our fourth one but they never really mustered a shot that was a hard save.

Crawford stopped Matthews twice point blank 2 feet from the blue paint. Nylander hit a post and another wicked shot that Crawford just got his glove on. Marner breakaway at the beginning of the game as well.

Crawford is a legit top 5-10 goalie. Playing for the Hawks hurts him because people tend to think Blackhawks don't give up a lot of chances. They do, but they are just ridiculously good and out chance the opponent more often than not.

We were the better team, would have a nice win. Andersen didn't steal any point for us though, our team defense played spectacular. Credit where it's due. They made sure to take time and space away from their stars.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
okay sure, shot attempts were even. But actual shots were 39-26. That's significant

edit: interesting about the scoring chances. Though still I don't think calling Andersen bad is fair

Not saying he was bad, just saying that there is no way Andersen stole us anything. We were the better team. So many missed shots and we still had the better chances on just 26 shots that Crawford had to face.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yeah they had some good zone time in the third when Toews line was against our fourth one but they never really mustered a shot that was a hard save.

Crawford stopped Matthews twice point blank 2 feet from the blue paint. Nylander hit a post and another wicked shot that Crawford just got his glove on. Marner breakaway at the beginning of the game as well.

Crawford is a legit top 5-10 goalie. Playing for the Hawks hurts him because people tend to think Blackhawks don't give up a lot of chances. They do, but they are just ridiculously good and out chance the opponent more often than not.

We were the better team, would have a nice win. Andersen didn't steal any point for us though, our team defense played spectacular. Credit where it's due. They made sure to take time and space away from their stars.

When I think back to the Hawks best chances I remember an easy save that Andy left at his feet (early second) and some scrambles in the 3rd that were mostly garbage being thrown at the net.

When I look at the Leafs you have the Nylander bar, and two Matthews one-timers from the slot.

For years I wasn't a Crawford fan, but he put up when he was paid. I thought that deal would be the one that breaks them.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
He was alright in the game. I'm sure he would like to have that first goal back.

Crawford was simply better than Andersen in this one and made many more harder saves. If the Blackhawks had the chances we had, the game could easily have been a 7-2 loss.

Wow, in the running for worst analysis of all times:amazed:

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
OK I agree that Willie should have got a look in OT.

Otherwise, whiners **** off. Good game..Freddy was the reason we got a point. On to play the Broons.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

The two goals that beat Andersen were both 2 on 1s.

Everyone understands that Crawford had a great night, but doesnt mean Andersen was bad.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The two goals that beat Andersen were both 2 on 1s.

Everyone understands that Crawford had a great night, but doesnt mean Andersen was bad.

Never said he was bad, I see the overwhelming majority here thinking that Andersen stole the Leafs a point. Andersen has been spectacular lately and a very good reason we have points in 5/6 games but last night he didn't steal anything for us.

Leafs had the better chances, if anyone stole anything It's Crawford.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Never said he was bad, I see the overwhelming majority here thinking that Andersen stole the Leafs a point. Andersen has been spectacular lately and a very good reason we have points in 5/6 games but last night he didn't steal anything for us.

Leafs had the better chances, if anyone stole anything It's Crawford.

What does our forwards not scoring have to with Andersen being very good? They are mutually inclusive of each other.

There is no relation between Matthews hitting the knob of Crawfords stick and Andersen making a save half the game later.

Its as fair to say that Crawford stole two for the Hawks as it is to say Andersen stole one for the Leafs

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Pi....the new leader of the "Shutout or you suck" club....

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Leafs now with 10 points more than they finished last season with.

Still with 12 games left to play.

Who's mind isn't blown, even the most optimistic, based on where you thought they'd be in the Summer?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
What does our forwards not scoring have to with Andersen being very good? They are mutually inclusive of each other.

There is no relation between Matthews hitting the knob of Crawfords stick and Andersen making a save half the game later.

Its as fair to say that Crawford stole two for the Hawks as it is to say Andersen stole one for the Leafs
Why do you keep reading his post as Andersen was bad/not very good.

He's saying the Leafs team deserved a point. It wasn't all Andersen. That's shown by the saves Crawford was forced to make.

Andersen has made saves similar to both goals tonight. A lot of the time they aren't considered great saves either. That doesn't mean he was bad or not very good, he had a decent workload and allowed fewer goals than expected.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs now with 10 points more than they finished last season with.

Still with 12 games left to play.

Who's mind isn't blown, even the most optimistic, based on where you thought they'd be in the Summer?

Absolutely and what's most optimistic about our result is that we haven't even been the least bit lucky. This isn't Randy Carlyle's Leafs where we get outplayed, outworked, out chanced and win.

This team is legit good despite the lousy shootout record, terrible luck in one goal games and a rough start plus the countless blown leads.

With any bit of luck, we are leading the Atlantic.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Absolutely and what's most optimistic about our result is that we haven't even been the least bit lucky. This isn't Randy Carlyle's Leafs where we get outplayed, outworked, out chanced and win.

This team is legit good despite the lousy shootout record, terrible luck in one goal games and a rough start plus the countless blown leads.

With any bit of luck, we are leading the Atlantic.

No doubt!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
For those blaming freddy, you expected us to win 1-0 pretty much

No one is blaming Freddie, just trying to put the correct narrative out there. Andersen was good but he didn't steal the Leafs anything.

If words can't express this, maybe this picture will help you out:

20162017-21055-all.png

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
No one is blaming Freddie, just trying to put the correct narrative out there. Andersen was good but he didn't steal the Leafs anything.

If words can't express this, maybe this picture will help you out:

20162017-21055-all.png

Holy cool graphic batman! Shows the Hawk's strong right side tendency while the Leafs with a little more balanced attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad