Post-Game Talk: [TOR/CHI] Leafs lose In OT 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This has to be sarcasm ? 1 penalty called all game.

Missed Kadri highsticking the hawks player
Missed Boyle holding Toews
Missed that too many men call the entire stadium saw in OT

Horrible OT goal "review" even by the rules the NHL/Announcers stated, that play is offside all the way. The player "carrying" the puck did not possess the puck while entering the zone and passed it instead, that's offside.

I'm sure there was probably 1-2 more missed calls i can't recall

I thought it was pretty good until late in the game. There was that bad missed high stick of Kadri early but I actually thought to myself late in the game "yeah this game wasn't reffed too badly, if we lose I can hardly blame that" and then they decided to go to sleep for the last 2 minutes of regulations and overtime.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Refs were garbage all night, missed calls for both teams a ridiculous amount of times. OT period was especially bad, clearly missed a too many men call, and how that wasn't offside is beyond me

Leafs didn't have a single penalty kill and it wasn't because they didn't do anything that wasn't a penalty. It was reffed properly, they let the teams decide and a few calls go either way (for the Leafs, Kadri high stick/Boyle obvious hooking/Bozak obvious hooking etc.) but the Hawks know how to play in any type of game and got the W.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Leafs didn't have a single penalty kill and it wasn't because they didn't do anything that wasn't a penalty. It was reffed properly, they let the teams decide and a few calls go either way (for the Leafs, Kadri high stick/Boyle obvious hooking/Bozak obvious hooking etc.) but the Hawks know how to play in any type of game and got the W.

Zaitsev looked like he was trying to chop down a redwood tree with his crosschecks too. But letting them play doesn't carry over to too many men on the ice or offsides. That was just plain missing calls.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Too many men in OT was even worse. There are 2 refs and only 6 damn skaters on the ice. Have to get that call right. What makes the too many men even worse is that the Hawks were in our zone :laugh:. How does the back ref miss that?

When was this?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

Horrible OT goal "review" even by the rules the NHL/Announcers stated, that play is offside all the way. The player "carrying" the puck did not possess the puck while entering the zone and passed it instead, that's offside.

Missed a blatant hook on Kadri that led to a offside.

Other then those blatant calls, pretty well-reffed game comparatively. Only problem is whenever the Leafs play an away game, they get the short-end of the stick. Seems like Refs never give us home ice but will hand the benefit of the doubt to the home team (a lot of the time) when we are the away team.

With all that said, reffing didn't decide this game. There have been horrendously called games this year but this wasn't one of them.

Leaf handler

Mar 12, 2016
Thought it was a good game. Not sure how anyone could think there was a too many men on the ice penalty in OT. Leafs got away with the exact same thing mid way through the third and they let that slide. Was a fun one too watch

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Who moves person the the puck across the line is irrelevant to the rule. All that the rule specifies is that he was in possession of the puck when his skates crossed the line.

I was incredulous that it could possibly be onside and said it's incorrect. I made up a stupid situation so show how ridiculous it is that it could be offside. Buuuuut. Technically, after reading through the rule several times my example to show just how ridiculous the scenario is... well, actually, it is entirely within the rules. :amazed:

The key part of the rule that could overthrow that goofy situation is that the question of offside isn't posed until the puck crosses the line...

However, when that question occurs technically multiple players can be in the opposition zone, so long as they were in possession of puck when their skates crossed. Pretty ridiculous... but that is actually the way the rule reads.
No, your situation is not correct, it is offside.

The lead man must enter the zone with the puck. Only 1 player can be in possession. Once someone else gains possession, the lead man (who is in the zone while the puck is not) is offside.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

So 2 missed calls and 2 correct calls you wished went the other way. That doesn't constitute a poorly called game.

It was evenly called and never got out of hand. Tough to ask for more.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Every point counts and an OT loss in the dying seconds is a heck of a lot better then being soundly beaten by a very hot Hawks team.

Plus Matthews broke his slump, not the ideal night but still pretty good.

zac

Apr 29, 2009

Yes he DID control the puck while entering the zone.

As stated in the rules, if the player has possession of the puck when crossing the line, which he clearly did, makes him ineligible to be offsides unless he forfeits his right to be in the zone (ie pass the puck BACKWARDS making himself offside). Since he was legally part of the zone, and had possession of the puck at the time of the pass, it was onside as the puck was in the zone before the receiving player crossed it.

Not only does it satisfy the written rule but it also satisfies the spirit in which it was written. As long has he either carries the puck in, or passes/shoots the puck forward once he's established himself as part of the zone (provided another player doesn't cross before the puck does) it's onside. It's not hard to grasp or understand at all.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
last minute of a game and OT the refs can review it. In these cases I think they look at it quickly in Toronto to see if anything if worth reviewing, and if it is they'll signal to the arena and that's why the horn went. The linesmen then took a look at it and made their decision.

Or something like that.
"... In the final minute of play in the 3rd Period and at any point in Overtime (Regular Season and Playoffs), Hockey Operations will initiate the review of any scenario that would otherwise be subject to a Coach's Challenge...."

Hockey Operations dropped the ball here :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
"... In the final minute of play in the 3rd Period and at any point in Overtime (Regular Season and Playoffs), Hockey Operations will initiate the review of any scenario that would otherwise be subject to a Coach's Challenge...."

It was reviewed?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

The puck can not be offside.....he was over the line when he passed the puck so he was onside then the puck stay in the zone so it was an onside pass.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It was reviewed?

Like young refs and bad ones.....the puck is not the issue....the players were, the player passed the puck after he entered the zone so it was onside. People on here who think otherwise are concerned with the puck and not the players.

Yes it was reviewed by the NHL.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
The puck can not be offside.....he was over the line when he passed the puck so he was onside then the puck stay in the zone so it was an onside pass.
We all know the puck cannot be offside :laugh:
It is the player. Why we know he was offside? It is because we saw a lot of players "walked the line", lost the puck control and, bingo, was offside.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
So 2 missed calls and 2 correct calls you wished went the other way. That doesn't constitute a poorly called game.

It was evenly called and never got out of hand. Tough to ask for more.

Toews hooked Matthews pretty badly in the 3rd as well.

Sloppy game. It happens.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He was. He put himself offside by passing the puck. If he had carried the puck into the zone, he would not have off-sided.

We all know the puck cannot be offside :laugh:
It is the player. Why we know he was offside? It is because we saw a lot of players "walked the line", lost the puck control and, bingo, was offside.

You stated that he was offside because he passed the puck.....hence you did believe that the puck was off side.

The rest of your post is lost on me..

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Overtime is a crapshoot no matter who you put out there. We had our chances. What I see overlooked in this discussion is the fact that we gave up only one goal in six periods against two of the league's hottest teams. Major victory right there since defense is our biggest flaw. We're improving on our weaknesses at just the right time IMHO. If we can beat the Bruins on Monday, it's game on!! If I were to say that we'd take 3 out of 4 points against Tampa and Chicago a few days ago, who wouldn't take that? It just happened people. Time to move on..

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's amazing how much OT can hate us yet constantly dish out points to the Habs.
An extreme contrast going on here.
So many points lost to a crapshoot or life would be a lot more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad