Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ] Frattin for D'Amigo, conditional 7th. Frattin re-signed 2yr/800k AAV

WendelGartner

May 14, 2014
Love having Frattin back... the only part of the Bernier deal I wasn't fond of, but understood.

They really should try Frattin Kadri with either Abbott or Ashton.

Put Lupul with Holland and Clarkson

JVR. Bozak. Kessel
Lupul Holland. Clarkson
Frattin. Kadri. Abbott
Komarov McClement. Ashton/Devine/Broll

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Nonis went back after him I would think. So we can deduct that he rates Frattin as a better quality player. We can't blame him for going after him if you think back to where his game was as a leaf when he was traded.

Nobody prior to any knowledge of this trade happening could have possibly had D' amigo playing in the top six. Frattin is definitely slated for playing back in the top six with naz and lupes.

So it's can be viewed as a third liner for a second liner. I think we have the better player. I don't see the issue here.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Honestly, I get a really good feeling about Frattin this time around. When we traded him, he was really finding his game in the NHL, while developing good chemistry with guys like Kadri, Lupul and Komarov. He was really getting comfortable on our team and in the league, then we traded him. He went to a team that had trouble scoring in the regular season while playing 4th line minutes. Then got traded again to columbus. Again, not getting quality minutes.

I think he's going to have a good year for us this year. Lot of Leafs on twitter already loving this, so you know he's a well liked guy.

DoubleDouble*

Not a fan of giving up D'Amigo but I don't think it makes or breaks up either way.

So what are the lines?

JvR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - Holland - Clarkson
Orr - Carrick - Ashton

Phaneuf - Robidas
Gardiner - Polak
Rielly - Franson

I still want to fix up that Reilly Franson pairing.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Not a fan of giving up D'Amigo but I don't think it makes or breaks up either way.

So what are the lines?

JvR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - Holland - Clarkson
Orr - Carrick - Ashton

Phaneuf - Robidas
Gardiner - Polak
Rielly - Franson

I still want to fix up that Reilly Franson pairing.

insert Granberg and it's fixed. Franson could stay now though now.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
26 years old

2013-2014 44 games 7 points

How, this is considered anything but a who cares transaction?

Heck, read lots of trashing of Frattin when he was playing for LA. Did he take a magic potion today?

No one puts up numbers in LA.

they took a 80 point richards and turned him into a 4th liner

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
The thing that interests me here is how well management knew both players.

They knew exactly what D'Amigo was and what he 'may' be. And they traded him.

And they know all about Matt Frattin. And they traded back for him.

For one this close, I'll have to give management the benefit of the doubt.

Gonna just have to wait and see on this move, but I too was one that was excited about what D'Amigo would bring to the team this season. Mixed feelings.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
Honestly, I get a really good feeling about Frattin this time around. When we traded him, he was really finding his game in the NHL, while developing good chemistry with guys like Kadri, Lupul and Komarov. He was really getting comfortable on our team and in the league, then we traded him. He went to a team that had trouble scoring in the regular season while playing 4th line minutes. Then got traded again to columbus. Again, not getting quality minutes.

I think he's going to have a good year for us this year. Lot of Leafs on twitter already loving this, so you know he's a well liked guy.

Yes exactly, that's an underrated aspect of this trade and the Komorov signing, team chemistry. Clearly lacking down the stretch last season. Gotta bring back Grabovski now.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Love having Frattin back... the only part of the Bernier deal I wasn't fond of, but understood.

They really should try Frattin Kadri with either Abbott or Ashton.

Put Lupul with Holland and Clarkson

JVR. Bozak. Kessel
Lupul Holland. Clarkson
Frattin. Kadri. Abbott
Komarov McClement. Ashton/Devine/Broll

How do you have Holland on the second line and Kadri on the 3rd? I would also guess that Komarov is gonna be playing 3rd line minutes and Lupul is most likely gone leaving Frattin on the second line... That is a real ****** line up other then the first line. I can however see Kadri and Frattin having chemistry.

WendelGartner

May 14, 2014
How do you have Holland on the second line and Kadri on the 3rd? I would also guess that Komarov is gonna be playing 3rd line minutes and Lupul is most likely gone leaving Frattin on the second line... That is a real ****** line up other then the first line. I can however see Kadri and Frattin having chemistry.

They're just line combinations, relax.

We barely have a first line (without a true first line C). With what's left, those 2nd and 3rd lines will most likely be interchangeable.

You may also want to give Holland a real shot with guys like Lupul and Clarkson before judging him. So, just so you don't get your knickers all twisted, we'll say Lupul - Holland - Clarkson is the 3rd line... better????

Actually, this will be the season Kadri needs to breakout in, so throw him on the first and see what he's really got. My guess is he'll last a few weeks on the first line and get eaten alive. But, at least give him the shot.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Kadri and Gardiner was very good friends with him and he had chemistry with Kadri. Not sure he will play on the 2nd line with Kadri but it is likely.

Anyway, Intercatif must be pumped by this news seeing as it is sort of a vote of confidence for both Kadri and Gardiner. ;)

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
I love this move. Frattin was a good piece while he was here and has potential for more.

He's built like a truck and can shoot the puck incredibly well.

D'Amigo was a good prospect who would fit a checking roll beautifully, but Frattin brings more and we know he can play the Leafs system.

The conditional 7th is moot.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Kadri and Frattin will pick up where they left off and everyone will forget about D'Amigo.

Did you forget about the last part of that season, they were paired together and did nothing, so I really hope that they don't "pick up where they left off".

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Don't think I could agree with you more!

The biggest slap in the face like you said is how patient we've been with him only to just toss him away on the cusp of him breaking into the NHL for someone that hasn't been very good since knee surgery who is also a lot older. Don't think I've been this upset since the Steen trade!

Something is happening here, all the posters I usually disagree with, we agree this was a bad asset move by The Leafs.

Draft/Develop/Dealt campaign I call it.

Not happy in the direction of the team ATM. If D'amigo becomes a bottom 6 player with Columbus, this is going to be painful to watch.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Dang! I really liked D'Amigo. Hopefully in 2 years we trade for him back.

I'm pretty happy to see Frattin coming back though

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
He's been terrible since his knee surgery. He was bad even when put back on Kadri's wing at the end of that season and was useless in the playoffs.

i have been a huge fan of matt frattin. however, post knee surgery, he's slower, more tenative and less dynamic. we say the effect injuries had on armstrong, gunnarson and bolland when they came back. an mcl is hard one for hockey players to recover from, like goalies and groin pulls.

pre injury, it's a no brainer. post injury, i believe it's a really bad trade as he won't be as good as he was with kadri.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Horrendously bad trade.

Frattin is a bust. Three years older. No more upside.

And we traded D'amigo who has tons of heart (something this team lacks in a bad way), and put up 20 goals in the AHL last season. Ugh

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Horrendously bad trade.

Frattin is a bust. Three years older. No more upside.

And we traded D'amigo who has tons of heart (something this team lacks in a bad way), and put up 20 goals in the AHL last season. Ugh

20 goals? Frattin would have crushed the AHL if he played in Damigo's spot.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I have an uneasy feeling about this.

He went to LA and they dumped him. He went to Columbus, who is trying to put together an LA type program, and they dumped him. Kekalainen is a really smart guy and I wouldn't be surprised if he robbed us blind with this trade.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
If this is the piece we need to light Kadri's fire than I'm all for it. He's a cheap serviceable winger who will do his money's worth and then some over the next few years.

Leafs are raving about it on twitter, thats something people are missing. Komarov too. They are changing the culture here. They are bringing in lockerroom guys.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I have an uneasy feeling about this.

He went to LA and they dumped him. He went to Columbus, who is trying to put together an LA type program, and they dumped him. Kekalainen is a really smart guy and I wouldn't be surprised if he robbed us blind with this trade.
D'Amigo was always a project though, he's not going to be a 2nd liner nor was he ever really projected to be that. Frattin has played more in the NHL but he's made a bigger impact in his appearances than D'Amigo did. Even if you only focus on Frattin's rookie season he still put up 15 points in 56 games. I don't get how he would have "robbed us blind" just because we gave up D'Amigo lol

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Something is happening here, all the posters I usually disagree with, we agree this was a bad asset move by The Leafs.

Draft/Develop/Dealt campaign I call it.

Not happy in the direction of the team ATM. If D'amigo becomes a bottom 6 player with Columbus, this is going to be painful to watch.

for a player we drafted and developed.... just saying. as well as if Jerry is a bottom 6 player with Columbus and Matty is playing on the top 6 or Bottom six here and playing well - it's still painful to watch?

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
This is a good trade.

Frattin had a bad year but he's an NHL player. Solid in all areas of the game and when he last played for us developed some nice chemistry with Kadri and put up some decent numbers.

The love around here for D'Amigo is ridiculous. He's really not that good.

I would say his time in the NHL last year was completely ineffective. He provided no offense. In the physical and defensive side of the game he tries hard and gives a full effort but is way overmatched in the NHL.

People like his game on the Marlies. Big deal- he was a fourth year pro! He still wasn't even close to point-per-game last year (and never has been) and wasn't even a top five scorer on the Marlies. The guy put up a 29 point season in his third AHL year. That's terrible for anybody who has visions of an NHL career.

Compare that to Frattin's AHL production. Frattin's a much better all-round player than D'Amigo. In fact you could argue that Carrick has a better chance at an NHL career than D'Amigo and nobody even talks about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad