Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ] Frattin for D'Amigo, conditional 7th. Frattin re-signed 2yr/800k AAV

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
How is this even a debate?

I like D'amigo, but this upside you fanboys speak of is non-existent. He is a likely 4th liner, potential 3rd liner at best in the NHL. A good one yes, but nothing more. Frattin has proven chemistry with this team, and played at an over 40 point pace before we traded him last year. He was buried in LA, but his track record is better here, and his upside is higher. He will score 25 next year player next to Kadri and Lupul, mark my words.

He's been terrible since his knee surgery. He was bad even when put back on Kadri's wing at the end of that season and was useless in the playoffs.

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Frattin didn't have good chemistry in LA and obviously played just 4 games with CBJ. Didn't get to see much of him there, but he was dynamite with us in 2013. Like, dynamite. It was scary at times how effective he was. During that 25 game stretch when Lupul was out, Frattin was the one scoring all the goals. I still believe he can get back to that form. Especially at just 800k, he's a complete bargain.

Will never forget that goal he scored against Buffalo with 0.1 seconds left. His ceiling is pretty high.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Again, another poster I usually disagree with. But agreed Dave this deal is bad. We dealt a player we spent 5 patient years developing and when we are ready to have him blossom with us he is dealt. And we throw in a pick for our trouble. Go figure what Nonis is doing?

Anyone who has watched any Marlies game in the playoffs knows D'amigo is on the verge of being a very good complete PK role player in the NHL. Whether he is a top 9 fwd is the question, but I think he will be.

Don't think I could agree with you more!

The biggest slap in the face like you said is how patient we've been with him only to just toss him away on the cusp of him breaking into the NHL for someone that hasn't been very good since knee surgery who is also a lot older. Don't think I've been this upset since the Steen trade!

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Frattin a Mason Raymond replacement? They are both similar players. Hopefully he can put up some goals and be more responsible defensively.

Ehhh, not sure if he's his replacement. But he can be.

Raymond is more of a flashy silky skating player while Frattin is more of a robust, never give up on the puck type player. I also found Frattin to be better in his own zone. But Raymond would score a lot of big goals. Was a good secondary scoring option last year. Hopefully Frattin can return to that.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Simply put, Frattin is a better player than D'Amigo. He has greater size, speed, grit, and offensive ability. D'Amigo might have a slight edge defensively. I'd say Frattin's overall skillset matches our organizational needs more so than D'Amigo.

As for Frattin's career NHL stats, 28 of his 35 points were earned as a Leaf, in a total of 82 games played.

Matt Frattin: 6' 205lbs
Jerry D'amigo: 5'11 213lbs

So Jerry is an inch shorter, but 8 lbs heaveier, he's actually a very fast player(something easily determined by watching him play), very physical/"gritty"(again watch him play). The only thing Frattin has is "offensive ability"/potential on D'amigo, but even then it's been extremely underwhelming since his knee surgery.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
What?

When you are building a team, you want players who play better in the playoffs than in the regular season. The goal is to win the cup. Also, thats pretty much the entire LA team. Cant score a goal in the regular season but then pile it up during the playoffs.

Getting players who are better in the playoffs than they are in the regular season also helps for cap purposes.

What I'm saying is Frattin was just as good as Jerry was in the playoffs for the Marlies while also having good regular season stats too. You want players who can put up points in both parts of the season.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Matt Frattin: 6' 205lbs
Jerry D'amigo: 5'11 213lbs

So Jerry is an inch shorter, but 8 lbs heaveier, he's actually a very fast player(something easily determined by watching him play), very physical/"gritty"(again watch him play). The only thing Frattin has is "offensive ability"/potential on D'amigo, but even then it's been extremely underwhelming since his knee surgery.

Agreed... I would've rather traded a 4th outright for Frattin. Would've been nice to have D'amigo and Frattin both on cheap contracts that play a well rounded game.

Frattin is a more intimidating physical presence, but D'amigo is more consistently physical. Both are very fast skaters and good forecheckers. Frattin is a better shooter, D'amigo is a better defensive player. D'amigo has always been a playoff warrior. Frattin has some injury concerns.

I'm not saying one player is much better than the other, but I wanted D'amigo to get a spot last year and I think he deserved a place on our team... He's an all heart kind of guy that I wish the best for in Columbus.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Agreed... I would've rather traded a 4th outright for Frattin. Would've been nice to have D'amigo and Frattin both on cheap contracts that play a well rounded game.

Frattin is a more intimidating physical presence, but D'amigo is more consistently physical. Both are very fast skaters and good forecheckers. Frattin is a better shooter, D'amigo is a better defensive player. D'amigo has always been a playoff warrior. Frattin has some injury concerns.

I'm not saying one player is much better than the other, but I wanted D'amigo to get a spot last year and I think he deserved a place on our team... He's an all heart kind of guy that I wish the best for in Columbus.

Agreed, would've rather tried to find a better way to get him because I don't hate him, just what we gave up.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Don't like or understand this trade. If the leafs acquired Frattin to fill our 2RW hole he would easily be one of the worst top 6 forwards in the league and would not help the team too much. If he was acquired to be a depth forward, this move is lateral at best and I'd actually rather have D'amigo playing a 4th line role. The only saving grace to this trade is if Frattin can recreate the chemistry he had with Kadri. Albeit they were playing 3rd line minutes when they had their success.

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Don't think you can compare these two, really. D'Amigo was one of my favourite Leafs prospects, but he's not the same kind of player as Frattin. Frattin plays a game that isn't justified by his points. Especially at his price point of 800k, he makes it very difficult for other teams to make plays. He's robust and uses his body well. While D'Amigo might be 'bigger' per say, Frattin just looks like he uses his body far better than Jerry does.

Both great players, though.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The thing is we CAN and will if others are not brought in. We make it worse when we don't use that which we groom as we'll have to pay a premium for them.

If we're worse defensively then we were last season, then we're getting McDavid or Eichel, and a new management staff. Fair trade off, I'd say.

officialmark*

Good to see that most people are coming around. I'm sure the Leafs will work with him to ensure his knee is 100%. He was a huge part of that 2nd line when we made the playoffs, and is an absolute bull on skates. He's quick on his skates and has a lethal shot. He plays the same game as Loops and Naz so I expect them to gel relatively easy again. This also allows Clarkson to play a more grinding/possession game with Komarov on the 3rd line. Once everyones love obsession with D'Amigo fades away you will see that this is a great deal for the Leafs.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
What I'm saying is Frattin was just as good as Jerry was in the playoffs for the Marlies while also having good regular season stats too. You want players who can put up points in both parts of the season.

Jerry has had 2 playoffs with ppg's much higher than frattins while being younger in both years. When frattin started playing in the AHL he was older than D'Amigo is now.

Ashton scored in the AHL at a similar pace to frattin. Would you say hes a better prospect than D'Amigo?

Not saying D'Amigo has more potential than frattin, its just hard to think that this trade couldn't have been completed through other means. Frattins value right now is close to 0

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Wanted to see what JD could do at the next level.

That being said; I was upset that Frattin was involved in the Bernier deal.

Not upset to the point that I didn't like the trade - I figured Frattin would be a top 6er for sure though

I like his skillset, I hope he can find it. Found it very odd that he fizzled out in both LA and CLB. I figured both would promote his style - Strong on the puck and easily to compliment with.

Komarov-Holland-Frattin (Is a work line that could give bottom 6ers some trouble)

Here's hoping Clarkson can find his game and be affective.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Jerry has had 2 playoffs with ppg's much higher than frattins while being younger in both years. When frattin started playing in the AHL he was older than D'Amigo is now.

Ashton scored in the AHL at a similar pace to frattin. Would you say hes a better prospect than D'Amigo?

Not saying D'Amigo has more potential than frattin, its just hard to think that this trade couldn't have been completed through other means. Frattins value right now is close to 0

All I see is Frattin's 13 points in 13 games. Compared to D'Amigo's 14 in 14, 9 in 9 and 13 in 17. When Frattin has played in the AHL playoffs he's been just as good as D'Amigo in the playoffs. Ashton is probably a better prospect now that you mention it lol.

Also agreed that it would have been nice to keep both players but hey the Bernier trade looks like D'Amigo, Scrivens and a 2nd now. :laugh:

I liked D'Amigo as much as the next guy but I think some people are letting their heart do the talking :sarcasm:

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I was sad to see Frattin traded initally... but even though I was a huge Frattin fan, I knew that it was the right move because Bernier was so good... but now we got him back! Very happy with this signing! I wasn't expecting it at all... I fist pumped hard when i heard the news!

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I think the Leafs are just rolling the dice on him, and hoping he re-finds chemistry with Kadri.

He could work with Holland as well.

Tucker93

Apr 5, 2013
Ottawa
Something to note about Frattin. While he certainly isn't as good as he was in the shortened season, he isn't nearly as bad as he was this season.

He's never gonna have a 16% shooting percentage like in the shortened season, but he certainly won't have a 3.3% shooting percentage like he did last year.

Chances are the real Matt Frattin lies somewhere in the middle, whether that is more along the lines of 8% or 10% remains to be seen. Personally, based on his type of shot I'd lean more towards 10%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad