Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ] Frattin for D'Amigo, conditional 7th. Frattin re-signed 2yr/800k AAV

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I have been a Leaf fan for 42 years and it's always the same thing. You have a guy who hustles and plays gritty a so called guy who overachieves and the fan base idolizes those type of players while trashes the talented guys who don't produce more than they should and never make a mistake

In my early days it was Brad "Motor " Smitty a 4th line banger/tough guy who fans loved and cried when he was let go...but he was just a plugger/grinder. We booed an HOF out of town Larry Murphy.

Same for the Jays they love Kawasaki cause he hustles but he sucks...

Leaf fans love their 4th line grinder and energy guys and eat their stars.

D'Amigo is a dime a dozen guy there are 100's each on during FA or can be drafted in the later rounds to be replaced.

Give me the guy with higher potential any day of the week to fill out top 9 roles

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Something is happening here, all the posters I usually disagree with, we agree this was a bad asset move by The Leafs.

Draft/Develop/Dealt campaign I call it.

Not happy in the direction of the team ATM. If D'amigo becomes a bottom 6 player with Columbus, this is going to be painful to watch.

I don't know, my man. Honestly, for me, this is a pretty "meh" move. The Leafs probably wanted some cheap, potential scoring, and are hoping Frattin can find some of the magic he had here before he left. I always liked D'Amigo, but realistically I think the guy tops out as a 4th liner at best.

The bright side here is we drafted and developed Frattin, so there's that.

I really think it's tough to gauge Shanahan's true direction for this team yet, especially from such minor deals. So far he has preached patience, drafting, and development over splurging in free agency. The signing of Robidas indicates they want more veteran leadership for their young guys so they can develop. The signing of Komarov indicates they want to bring back the energy they had the season before last. (AKA, culture change)

To me, these are positives. Somewhat expensive, minor positives, but positives.

At this point, Shanny is just getting started. I understand the reluctance to move prospects, because I share it, but this isn't the same type of trade we've made in the past where we throw prospects/picks at a team for a veteran.

I'm thinking they make one last move this season to sign a veteran 4th line centre for more leadership/mentorship for upcoming Marlie bottom sixers. This could very well result in another high pick next year, with some ammo for picking up draft picks at the deadline. If they finish higher next year, it will be because of development from the kids I think, which could be a positive as well.

Additionally, they look to have some space for a big move during the offseason or season that could allow them to make a trade for a young centre, should one become available. So there's that, too.

Last edited:

Mat Fratthouse

Jan 30, 2013
Hogtown
First things first Glad to have Matt back cause my screen name is relevant again! Fratthouse is back!
D'maigo was solid for the Marlies and I think he will find a spot on a NHL line up eventually but not here. Matt bring a more physical down low element to his game that the leafs need. He had obvious chemistry with Kadri which could get that line going more so then Clarkson. Glad we got him back but he was a part of the package that got us Bernie so Im pretty stoked on this trade all in all.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Something is happening here, all the posters I usually disagree with, we agree this was a bad asset move by The Leafs.

Draft/Develop/Dealt campaign I call it.

Not happy in the direction of the team ATM. If D'amigo becomes a bottom 6 player with Columbus, this is going to be painful to watch.

Not when Frattin is a top 9, possibly top 6 guy for us. We also draft and developed Frattin, so it evens out.

We got a 2nd/3rd liner for a guy that may not even be on CBJ's 4th line.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Feels like the typical infatuation with the new, young guy around here. When Frattin was on the team, he was a 2nd/3rd line guy mostly and did pretty well. He lost his game when he moved, but going back to the roots will likely get him back on track.

D'Amigo is a great guy, nice speed and two-way game. I really like him as well, but I never saw him as having the same impact as Frattin did for us. He was always projected as a fourth liner, perhaps a third liner if things went well for him. That's a step down from what Frattin was able to do for us.

It's a good move.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
The way I see it, Frattin is now what Damigo will likely be.

Frattin is the better skater and has more offensive upside, while Damigo is probably more of a specialty pker etc.

I see this as a wash down the road, but because we need the offense I like the move to bring back Frattin

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I really like this move.

Frattin skates like a tank, has a heavy shot and can cycle. We need more of these types of players.

D'Amigo has great wheels but he's more of a transition player on a team that has loads of speed but is weak in cycling/board battles. The only aspect we might miss is the PK ability but a vet like Goc, McClement, Winnik can always be found for cheap until Carrick + Gauthier are further developed.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm going to guess that most people commenting on here don't watch that many Marlies games. D'Amigo is a good player, should make a decent bottom 6 energy guy, but he was no where near as dominating in the AHL as Frattin was at the same age.

At what age are you referring to for Frattin dominating in the AHL?

How old is D'Amigo?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 32m
Nonis "Frattin can kill penalties as well as D'Amigo but he can play higher in the lineup"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 33m
Nonis "Frattin is a guy that can go up and down the lineup a little more than D'Amigo"

That's what management think who have seen both extensively.

Kyle Doobas*

Feels like the typical infatuation with the new, young guy around here. When Frattin was on the team, he was a 2nd/3rd line guy mostly and did pretty well. He lost his game when he moved, but going back to the roots will likely get him back on track.

D'Amigo is a great guy, nice speed and two-way game. I really like him as well, but I never saw him as having the same impact as Frattin did for us. He was always projected as a fourth liner, perhaps a third liner if things went well for him. That's a step down from what Frattin was able to do for us.

It's a good move.
After a bit of time to digest it, I agree.

I've followed the Marlies pretty closely for the past couple of years, and they've actually had some degree of success, so it's easy to get attached to players, haha.

It's still a bit of a buzzkill to spend, what, five years developing a guy, only to trade him just when he's ready to crack your NHL roster. But like you said, at the end of the day, his upside was basically a fourth line PK guy, maybe a third liner if everything went right.

At any rate, it's nice to have Frattin back. He's struggled a bit since being traded but I always liked him when he was here. I especially love that knack he has for catching guys off guard when they're trying to hit him, like when Beauchemin went to cut across for a Scott Stevens hit and ended up destroying himself. Looked like he ran into a wall. :laugh:

TheScruffington

Apr 17, 2014
After watching D'Amigo in his first NHL stint last year I had serious concerns. He seemed small and over-matched. His hustle was evident but didn't accomplish much. He got hit very hard a couple times in the same game. For a guy that is supposed to be throwing checks that is a concern. He might develop but Frattin at this point is the better player. Frattin also has more potential to be a top 6 player. He needs to stay healthy but was real good in his first year here.

Yeah he got hit hard a couple of times in that Pittsburgh game. Yet he came back after he looked like he was injured and took another hit which put him out of that game for good. But he didn't miss the next game despite getting roughed up. Those are the kinds of players you want on your team. It's not like D'Amigo is going to be making David Clarkson money, but you want players that aren't afraid to take hits to make plays and can grind/play defensively.

People are talking about Matt Frattin's potential like he's some 19 year old that just got drafted a year prior. The dude is 26, the same age as Kessel. He's not old and might not be in his prime, but odds are what you see is what you're going to get.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
Frattin was given every opportunity to succeed in LA. They put him with really really good players in a top 6 role. He was terrible. Didn't do anything. Then they decided to move him further down the lineup, and he was still terrible. He didn't hit anybody, didn't create anything offensively, and he looked lost. There were very long stretches of the game where it looked like the Kings were playing short handed when he was on the ice. Not good. Those are the facts folks. Go make a quick post on the Kings board asking about him, and come on back and let us know what you hear.. This guy is all flash with no substance.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 32m
Nonis "Frattin can kill penalties as well as D'Amigo but he can play higher in the lineup"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 33m
Nonis "Frattin is a guy that can go up and down the lineup a little more than D'Amigo"

That's what management think who have seen both extensively.

While that may be true, it won't bode well if Frattin is used higher up in the lineup.

Tyler Biggs*

Only Leaf fans can complain about getting rid of a bottom 6 player who put up 0.5 ppg in the AHL for a guy like Frattin who is an NHL caliber player who had chemistry with Kadri.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
At what age are you referring to for Frattin dominating in the AHL?

I stated that D'Amigo " was no where near as dominating in the AHL as Frattin was at the same age." I was just comparing the two guys and how they looked on the ice.

With the Marlies Frattin produced at .80 ppg, 0.53 GPG, while D'Amigo has a 0.52 ppg. Frattin was on the top line scoring goals by driving the net hard, being very physical, like a power forward. D'Amigo for most of his AHL career has been solid, a guy you didn't expect to make a mistake, but you didn't expect him to get the big goal either.

Frattin had 14 goals in 23 games his first season with the Marlies and added 10 more in 13 playoff games. That is some crazy goal scoring, even at the AHL level.

How old is D'Amigo?

D'Amigo is now 23 so about the same age Frattin was when he was with the Marlies.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
While that may be true, it won't bode well if Frattin is used higher up in the lineup.

Why? it worked out just fine the year we made the playoffs.

Anyone complaining about this trade is an idiot. No way around it. D'Amigo at best is a 3rd liner. There are tons of those guys in any system and tons of them as a FA right now. Frattin has shown he actually has the goalscoring ability to be a top 6 forward down the road. And people are complaining because we traded for a guy with a higher ceiling. Why? because D'Amigo "hustles"? I think people forget what Frattin is like as well. He's even more physical than D'Amigo and nearly impossible to hit. Except he actually has offensive ability.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
The best part about this trade was getting Frattin at a low like this.

Nobody liked the JVR trade when it first happened. Everyone was obsessed with Schenn that they hated having to trade him for an injury prone forward who was not playing well in Philly.

Sometimes you have to give something you like to get a good player. It's how it works. I really like D'Amigo, but Frattin's overall game is steps ahead. I think most Leafs fans are guilty of stat watching and judging him from there.

What? I recall a lot of people liking the deal and talking about how JVR would thrive here with better opportunities than in Philly.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Why? it worked out just fine the year we made the playoffs.

Anyone complaining about this trade is an idiot. No way around it. D'Amigo at best is a 3rd liner. There are tons of those guys in any system and tons of them as a FA right now. Frattin has shown he actually has the goalscoring ability to be a top 6 forward down the road. And people are complaining because we traded for a guy with a higher ceiling. Why? because D'Amigo "hustles"? I think people forget what Frattin is like as well. He's even more physical than D'Amigo and nearly impossible to hit. Except he actually has offensive ability.

It really didnt work well that shortened season we made the playoffs. The team as usual got of to a hot start but the longer the season progressed the game went further and further south. Had it been an 82 game season we would have picked Monahan instead of Gauthier come draft day.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
It really didnt work well that shortened season we made the playoffs. The team as usual got of to a hot start but the longer the season progressed the game went further and further south. Had it been an 82 game season we would have picked Monahan instead of Gauthier come draft day.

There's no basis behind that, and regardless that would be attributed to unsustainable goaltending and poor possession numbers, neither which have anything at all to do with Frattin playing high in the lineup. Completely irrelevant post.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Frattin is not good enough to play on the top 2 lines for any period of time. He can fill in but no chance he's looked at as any type of permanent solution.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Frattin is not good enough to play on the top 2 lines for any period of time. He can fill in but no chance he's looked at as any type of permanent solution.

They are likely either banking on Frattin re-kindling the chemistry he had with Kadri to be a stop gap there until Nylander is ready, or they plan on acquiring a 3rd line centre and running with Holland on the wing.

Or I'm crazy. Which is likely.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
They are likely either banking on Frattin re-kindling the chemistry he had with Kadri to be a stop gap there until Nylander is ready, or they plan on acquiring a 3rd line centre and running with Holland on the wing.

Or I'm crazy. Which is likely.

I would think they will give Clarkson every opportunity to earn his pay first. Like Nonis said Frattin can play anywhere in the lineup when needed, not as a permanent solution.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I would think they will give Clarkson every opportunity to earn his pay first. Like Nonis said Frattin can play anywhere in the lineup when needed, not as a permanent solution.

Fair enough.

I think Clarkson would do well with a reduced expectations role on the 3rd line. Let him get the crashing and banging back and maybe the goals will follow.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Fair enough.

I think Clarkson would do well with a reduced expectations role on the 3rd line. Let him get the crashing and banging back and maybe the goals will follow.

3rd line should always have been his role, unfortunately he wasn't paid that way. He is certainly the current misfit on this Team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->