Value of: Top 4 LHD to New Jersey

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I like Edler, but he also only has 1 year left on his contract and is a bit older than what I would be targeting

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't think Edler would waive his NTC, even with the Sedins gone, and I suspect the Canucks would rather keep him around at this point anyway as their defense after him and Tanev is a complete joke.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
what do the Ducks need?

Without knowing anything, I think it would be some package including our 1st, Severson, and a forward prospect

I’d imagine it starts with our 1st (17OA) this year.

On top of that, I’d have to know a bit more about the Ducks’ needs. Your right side is pretty solid, no? If so, I don’t see Anaheim having much use for Severson.

Our RHDs are Manson, Montour and Welinski. I'm a fan of Severson but I don't think RHD is a pressing need.

I think our biggest need is skilled forwards. I'm surprised to see Zacha and McLeod on the list; have they fallen from grace?

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Our RHDs are Manson, Montour and Welinski. I'm a fan of Severson but I don't think RHD is a pressing need.

I think our biggest need is skilled forwards. I'm surprised to see Zacha and McLeod on the list; have they fallen from grace?
Zacha maybe a bit, but our defense is in such rough shape that it needs to improve.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

No. Including them on the list is just us being realistic, considering the caliber of defenseman we’re looking for.

As I said on the last page, I think Zacha would be moved before McLeod. I’d be very, very intrigued by a Zacha+ for Fowler trade.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

the Devils "strength" is their forward prospects and their weakness (by far) is their left handed D. I think trading one of Zacha or McLeod in a package for a legit top 4 LHD makes a ton of sense given our organizational makeup.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I don't know what the deal with with Noah Hanifin and why he hasn't gotten an extension yet, albeit, he is under RFA status. I would love it if the Devils take a shot at getting him. Carolina's left side is overloaded Jacob Slavin, Haydn Fluery, and now Jake Bean coming up. Their right side includes Justin Faulk, Brett Pesce, and TVR. Klas Dahlback being their 7th D.

:canes
Michael McLeod
2018 #17 Overall Pick
2020 3rd Round Pick

:devils
Noah Hanifin

I don’t see the benefit for Carolina beyond value. The Canes haven’t signaled that they’re retooling or rebuilding; trading a somewhat valuable NHL contributor with potential for more for a package of non-elite futures doesn’t make them more competitive in the short-term.

As far as Hanifin’s extension, I imagine he went unsigned because the organization was not as sure about him moving forward as they were Slavin and Pesce. Hanifin was very raw as a rookie. That carried over into the first ~60 games of his sophomore season. After Hainsey’s departure, his play really picked up. A long-term contract was justifiable based on his potential, but only at a certain AAV; he hadn’t earned Slavin money ($5.3 mil), for example. For Hanifin, it may not have made sense to get locked into a potential long-term underpayment under Pesce ($4 mil); if he were to pan out, his contract would be a rip-off. In that way, it made more sense to see how post-draft year 3 played out before making a decision for both sides. This season, Hanifin proved to still be raw defensively but showed some real offensive chops in the 1st half. Unfortunately, that tailed off in what was a disappointing 2nd half. I think his bargaining position is worse now than it was last summer. A see a pure bridge in his future.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
In my opinion, winning the lottery and getting Hischier made one of them expendable. We don't need to keep both and they're probably our most attractive trade pieces, so why not use them to upgrade our defense. Kind of like how we all liked Henrique but he was made expendable by the extra depth we added.

Zacha is definitely an NHL player, great defensively and on the PK and is a guy that can play up (or down) in your lineup and not look out of place. He always looks like he's on the cusp of breaking out offensively, but there's a chance it doesn't and he's forever a middle-six guy like Zubrus or Ponikarovsky.

McLeod probably fits in with Shero's vision of speed more, but there's concerns about his offense transitioning to the pro game. I think there's a possibility of him being a legit #2 scoring center, but he has a "safe" floor of a Nick Bonino type #3C checker with modest offense.

Both of them were drafted as natural C's but a lot of Devils fans think their future might be at wing (specifically Zacha).

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
mcleod isn't untouchable, but he's the closest thing to it. but zacha can **** off for the right price

I'd hardly put McLeod near the untouchable category. We don't want to give him away, but he's a decently valued piece that can be expendable.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I'd hardly put McLeod near the untouchable category. We don't want to give him away, but he's a decently valued piece that can be expendable.
It doesn't make sense to trade McLeod. The Devils put two years of development into him and waited for him to mature physically. It doesn't make sense to trade him before they can enjoy the fruit of their labor.

Zacha doesn't make a ton of sense to trade either but it makes more sense to trade him than McLeod. Zacha is the team's second line center and he just isn't ready for that role. That doesn't mean he'll never be since he's only 21, but right now he's probably not right for the role.

Jan 21, 2018
What would you offer for Edler. 100% a top pairing dman.

Interested in:

#17th Overall
Santini
Severson
Zacha
McLeod
2019 1st

LOL

I guess Bozak is 100% a 1st line center

Just because your team sucks and Edler is forced to play on the 1st line because there is no one better, doesn't mean he is a top pairing dman.

He's a top 4D. There's nothing wrong with that.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
It doesn't make sense to trade McLeod. The Devils put two years of development into him and waited for him to mature physically. It doesn't make sense to trade him before they can enjoy the fruit of their labor.

Zacha doesn't make a ton of sense to trade either but it makes more sense to trade him than McLeod. Zacha is the team's second line center and he just isn't ready for that role. That doesn't mean he'll never be since he's only 21, but right now he's probably not right for the role.

I'm not advocating trading him, but you need to give to get. If we're trading for a top 4 dman, we need to trade something of value, and McLeod is more expendable than most of our other higher value pieces .

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

fair enough. I would, though. we don’t even know what we have with him yet, it wouldn’t make any sense to trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad