Value of: Top 4 LHD to New Jersey

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the Devils are in need of an upgrade on the left side of the defense. Andy Greene is clearly on the decline and cannot be playing top pairing minutes anymore. Of course looking for the best player available, but it doesn't have to be some legit bonafide #1 (because honestly we can't afford that most likely). I would even be content with a player "on the level" of Sami Vatanen. Ideally looking for a player who is solid in his own zone and is good in the transition game.

Available (in the right package):
1st round pick (#17 overall and 2019 pick)
Damon Severson
Steve Santini
Keith Kinkaid
Pavel Zacha
Michael McLeod
most any forward prospects in the system

Untouchable under any circumstances:
Nico Hischier
Taylor Hall
Sami Vatanen
Will Butcher

Please don't bother offering ~30+ year olds as we are not interested.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I know this doesn't exactly fit your specifications but if the Devils cannot find a piece that fits their exact needs I could see a Gunnarsson for a 3rd or 4th be a good stop gap for you guys for a year. Although he is hurt at the moment

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I really don't know what to make of Zacha at this point. Like, I'd give up Brodin for the Platonic ideal of Pavel Zacha, but the shadow-Zacha that plays in the actual NHL is hard for me to figure out.

I agree with you. He did make strides in his game since last year. He is already a very good defensive forward and great PKer. However, its all mental and attitude for him. He has all the tools in the world, and down the stretch he looked like he might be starting to put it together for a few weeks, but in the playoffs he seemingly went right back to where he was with no confidence.

Though his offensive stats look similar to last year, Zacha did make strides in his game this year offensively
2016-17 ES points/60: 0.82
2017-18 ES points/60: 1.35

The difference was, he didn't get as much PP time this season.

Remember, he just turned 21 a few weeks ago so he is still very young.

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I agree with you. He did make strides in his game since last year. He is already a very good defensive forward and great PKer. However, its all mental and attitude for him. He has all the tools in the world, and down the stretch he looked like he might be starting to put it together for a few weeks, but in the playoffs he seemingly went right back to where he was with no confidence.

Though his offensive stats look similar to last year, Zacha did make strides in his game this year offensively
2016-17 ES points/60: 0.82
2017-18 ES points/60: 1.35

The difference was, he didn't get as much PP time this season.
He is very tempting as a candidate to break out under the right conditions in the next 2 years here.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Olli Maatta is playing pretty well right now but his skating style isn’t ideal for the Pens system. He may or may not be available this summer.

I would be open to something around Zacha for him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Olli Maatta is playing pretty well right now but his skating style isn’t ideal for the Pens system. He may or may not be available this summer.

I would be open to something around Zacha for him.

if he doesn't skate well, he probably isn't ideal for NJ either. I will say I am intrigued though.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
I don't know what the deal with with Noah Hanifin and why he hasn't gotten an extension yet, albeit, he is under RFA status. I would love it if the Devils take a shot at getting him. Carolina's left side is overloaded Jacob Slavin, Haydn Fluery, and now Jake Bean coming up. Their right side includes Justin Faulk, Brett Pesce, and TVR. Klas Dahlback being their 7th D.

:canes
Michael McLeod
2018 #17 Overall Pick
2020 3rd Round Pick

:devils
Noah Hanifin

Reactions: nugg and RSeen

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
For what it's worth, I think Zacha would be moved long before McLeod.

I've been on record (quite a bit) saying this, but I think LA is a good fit trade-wise... from our end, at least. They already had serious LHD depth, strengthened further by the Phaneuf acquisition. Forbort was logging 22+ minutes a night down the stretch next to Doughty... Phaneuf obviously... Martinez and Muzzin... good young players like LaDue and Clague emerging...

It just seems like a ton of moving parts. What would NJ have to add to 17OA for Muzzin?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't know what the deal with with Noah Hanifin and why he hasn't gotten an extension yet, albeit, he is under RFA status. I would love it if the Devils take a shot at getting him. Carolina's left side is overloaded Jacob Slavin, Haydn Fluery, and now Jake Bean coming up. Their right side includes Justin Faulk, Brett Pesce, and TVR. Klas Dahlback being their 7th D.

:canes
Michael McLeod
2018 #17 Overall Pick
2020 3rd Round Pick

:devils
Noah Hanifin

I saw a thread a few weeks back where Canes fans seemed to think the only thing that would get us Hanifin would be Hischier so yeah I doubt they like this very much

Reactions: Chan790

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
That being said the price is right for both guys. lol

You're right with that, although money isn't as big of a concern for NJ as long-term roster flexibility is.

If we could get CDH on board for short term, he'd be an ideal stopgap if we can't find anything on the trade market. Personally, I'd rather look into higher-profile trade options that could get us more permanent solution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad