Confirmed with Link: Tom Wilson re-signed 7 x $6.5 for $45.5 Million

Jun 15, 2007
I think people under value team culture. We don’t want to become the next Buffalo Sabres, who miss the playoffs 12 years in a row. It’s super hard to get rid of a losing culture once it settles in.

Even Toronto and Edmonton have been trying to shake off that losing culture from the previous decade of failure, and they’re not quite out of the woods yet. A McDavid level talent and player is literally what it took to fix it.

An older and wiser Wilson will keep future players accountable, pushing the organization towards success once again.

People don't undervalue winning culture, it's just it's inherently intangible and so to overpay for it is quite a risk.

After 2015 Chicago paid Toews 10.5m a year. Everyone laughed at them but Chicago fans justified it by saying he provided winning culture. Guess what, Chicago made the playoffs 3 times since 2015 and won 0 playoff rounds.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah this is awful contract, 7 years for a guy who will be in his 30's when it starts. These gifts for cup winners on this Capitals team will make them bottom feeders for years to come. Cool. he will be the captain of the team, big deal. He is hardly even first liner, if he wasn't physical player there would be nothing impressive about him.
30 for 7 months when the deal starts….you don’t like the player or his game, noted.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
By the way, if the justification for giving Wilson this length is that Ovechkin will be gone and we will be rebuilding anyway so it doesn't matter...

Why didn't we give Orlov the length he wanted? Much more important player.
Couldn’t fit him into the Cap this year? He got what, 7m? Even 6-6.5 with longer term wouldn’t have fit. I think that’s why

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
People don't undervalue winning culture, it's just it's inherently intangible and so to overpay for it is quite a risk.

After 2015 Chicago paid Toews 10.5m a year. Everyone laughed at them but Chicago fans justified it by saying he provided winning culture. Guess what, Chicago made the playoffs 3 times since 2015 and won 0 playoff rounds.
Comparing those two deals is laughable. You can’t pay $10mil plus for a great leader and have his game fall off a cliff. You can pay a guy 6.5 who still produces.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Ehhh...

10.5m of 71.4m cap = 14.71%

6.5m of 87.7m (projected) cap = 7.41%

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ehhh...

10.5m of 71.4m cap = 14.71%

6.5m of 87.7m (projected) cap = 7.41%
Toews was also a far superior player for the bulk of his contract, as well. That's not an insult to Willy, but even if drastically overpaid, Toews was still a 58-81 point center with strong defensive performances against tough competition for the bulk of that contract. He hit a sharp decline at age 33, and his contract expired after his age 34 season. Wilson's contract expires after his age 36 season.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I think people under value team culture. We don’t want to become the next Buffalo Sabres, who miss the playoffs 12 years in a row. It’s super hard to get rid of a losing culture once it settles in.

Even Toronto and Edmonton have been trying to shake off that losing culture from the previous decade of failure, and they’re not quite out of the woods yet. A McDavid level talent and player is literally what it took to fix it.

An older and wiser Wilson will keep future players accountable, pushing the organization towards success once again.
This is a well summarized point, one that the “analytics” group (they know who they are) never seem to truly grasp. ROI per contract is important, and we ALL knew that quite a few of our deals would age poorly (Backstrom, Carlson, Oshie). Some have been bad bc player (Kuznetsov and Mantha), and that it what it is.

Wilson is an integral part of the “New” Caps tradition (this is post 2007) and has carried on what Ovechkin, Backstrom, Federov, Knuble, etc established as we grew from also ran to league leaders.

Call it what you want, but winning traditions matter. A lot.

If you cannot see it, then you cannot. Maybe it youth or new to hockey to whatever. Or always needing to be right (one poster in particular, who is a blowhard at all levels…and it’s not you, @twabby)

Reactions: racingmoose

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Toews was also a far superior player for the bulk of his contract, as well. That's not an insult to Willy, but even if drastically overpaid, Toews was still a 58-81 point center with strong defensive performances against tough competition for the bulk of that contract. He hit a sharp decline at age 33, and his contract expired after his age 34 season. Wilson's contract expires after his age 36 season.
I didn't compare them as players. The post was about signing players to keep winning culture in which i replied that these 2 contracts aren't comparable at all.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I didn't compare them as players. The post was about signing players to keep winning culture in which i replied that these 2 contracts aren't comparable at all.
It's not the first comparison I would make, but I get where that poster was coming from. Both players were overcompensated (compared to their on-ice impacts) based on off-ice attributes and "winning culture." Of course Toews' contract is larger, because Toews is also a better player.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I dont know what "rustlin some jimmies" means but Im going to use it on my next work call.

me - "Look Todd, youre jus rustlin my jimmies right now and Mrs. Racki dont like when other people rustlin my jimmies because theyre her jimmies."
LOL. To me, Jimmie’s = Banana Hammocks. Not the tool persay, but more “the support” of said tool.

It’s akin to “getting panties in a bunch” (which is extremely sexist and I’d NEVER ever ever use it )

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I dont know what "rustlin some jimmies" means but Im going to use it on my next work call.

me - "Look Todd, youre jus rustlin my jimmies right now and Mrs. Racki dont like when other people rustlin my jimmies because theyre her jimmies."
“Mr Racki, HR would like a word”…..

Reactions: Neil Racki

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
A more directly relatable contract would be Scott Hartnell's second Flyers contract (signed in August 2012, came into effect for 2013-14). It was a 6 year deal, starting in his age 31 season (compared to Wilson's 7 year deal start in his age 30 season). Hartnell's deal was for $4.75M, which was 7.92% of the cap at the time. Wilson's is for $6.5M, which is 7.78% of the cap. Both fan-favorite power forwards (albeit Hartnell had just completed a 37 goal season when he inked that deal) with off-ice leadership characteristics.

Hartnell played one year of that contract for Philadelphia, was traded to Columbus, and then was bought out following the 2017 season.

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC

yeah we have such an amazing winning culture that we haven’t won a playoff round since 2018 and have made it out of the second round once with ovi

Reactions: YippieKaey

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I dont mind this

Kinda always doubted Wilson will age well enough to be the next captain but it is probable still

Also, I see the problem in not having 1RW, and having middle-6 RW Tom Wilson long term is not a problem in itself.

You can tell me Wilson is 1RW, ok, if you will, but Id like to see another 1RW then too. 2RW at least. k thx.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
A more directly relatable contract would be Scott Hartnell's second Flyers contract (signed in August 2012, came into effect for 2013-14). It was a 6 year deal, starting in his age 31 season (compared to Wilson's 7 year deal start in his age 30 season). Hartnell's deal was for $4.75M, which was 7.92% of the cap at the time. Wilson's is for $6.5M, which is 7.78% of the cap. Both fan-favorite power forwards (albeit Hartnell had just completed a 37 goal season when he inked that deal) with off-ice leadership characteristics.

Hartnell played one year of that contract for Philadelphia, was traded to Columbus, and then was bought out following the 2017 season.
Right. Bookmark this post.

I’m sure this is what will happen w Tom. If so, we will all bow down to the Queen Bee. As we all know, you are best GM on this boRED.

If it doesn’t happen, what are you prepared to do? Put 90% of the board on ignore?

• Haha
Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

You're trying to imply Hartnell was trash when he had 52 points, and 4th on the team, with Philly his last year. Then dropped 60 on a team he was third in points on, and then 49 points on a team he was 4th on (Saad led that team with 53 points).

If anything, Hartnell aged fine. He was extremely unlucky with where he ended up though. All of that followed with not having the same level of presence or elevating Wilson's shown on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad