g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

1691250665420.png

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yes. But they got better.
Thank you. Rags making the ECF finals after Tom exposed them validates the contract he just got even more. I didn't say he forced the Rags into a 5 year rebuild. He exposed the teams failed approach and actually did them a favor.

Can anyone here name a player that clearly himself caused a front office to get canned, and roster build be so radically changed? Heck they even inked Ryan Reeves in a desperate attempt to toughen up.

It wasn't just that he forced the org to completely retool their approach, it was almost immediate.

Willy is a total badass and it was real bad news for our opposition after he got his skating sorted out.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Reactions: RandyHolt

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I also approve of this Wilson hype video.

It is decided I believe I will buy an official Tom Wilson jersey which will be my second one ever after my 93/43 Bondra one.
I bought the Wilson Black RR jersey because I loved the sweater and already had 19 and 8 but ironically he never played in it. Feels like a good trivia question at some point.

“Tom Wilson played for the Washington Capitals for 17 seasons during which time the Capitals wore approximately 35 different jerseys. Which is the only jersey during that time frame that he never wore?”

Reactions: usiel

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I kinda admire the off season troll attempt for NJ.
Every single team in the league would contact Wilson’s agent if he was on the trading block or if he hit free agency. Teams were making up rumors about the Caps trading him this off-season. Any team with cap space would have offered him the same contract.

Wilson is unique and every team knows it. 99% of fans other teams would wake up and say, “Holy shit I can’t believe we got Tom Wilson,” if he was traded or signed elsewhere. Seems odd to be upset he’s spending the rest of his career here because a few number crunchers think they overpaid him.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Every single team in the league would contact Wilson’s agent if he was on the trading block or if he hit free agency. Teams were making up rumors about the Caps trading him this off-season. Any team with cap space would have offered him the same contract.

Wilson is unique and every team knows it. 99% of fans other teams would wake up and say, “Holy shit I can’t believe we got Tom Wilson,” if he was traded or signed elsewhere. Seems odd to be upset he’s spending the rest of his career here because a few number crunchers think they overpaid him.
I should bold this entire post. I hate pulling the age card but what it does allow one to see are patterns. In regards to NHL fans even as a caps fan there were players that I loathed to anyone around but if they were on my time I'd rejoice.

The Consiglieri

Feb 19, 2007
Meh. Even by the midpoint of that contract, the Cap will be over $100 Million, and both Ovy and Backstom's contracts will be off the books. So honestly, Im not worried about $6.5 being deadweight toward the end.

I just don't like doing stupid things, but it is reasonable to argue that it's empty calories. The team is already bottom half of the league quality and projected by most to finish in the mid-late lottery again, so having a crappy contract on the books is a bummer, but it is going to make it impossible to move him for quite a while for anything if we'd like to do that as a part of the rebuild (yes rebuild, reboot is delusional nonsense, and the only people buying that idea live in Maryland, Virginia and DC).

So it's not gonna be a killer in the same way say, the idiotic failure to trade Beal the last half decade was, nor the horrendous contract given to him last year, but it aint helping either. Unless you just really like watching some aging Wilson on a team finishing around 19th-24th in the standings for several years is your things, it aint serving a purpose, but it isn't a nightmare either. But as stated earlier, in general, avoiding stupid contracts and mismanagement of assets on a team in decline is always kinda important, and the Caps went the opposite direction.

I'm gonna take solace in the fact that they somehow inexplicably managed to land 3 guys with first round potential despite only have 5 picks and only 1 inside the top 40. That, was brilliant, and might help us short cut how long the rebuild takes when people in the FO, and fanbase finally accept that reality.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I just don't like doing stupid things, but it is reasonable to argue that it's empty calories. The team is already bottom half of the league quality and projected by most to finish in the mid-late lottery again, so having a crappy contract on the books is a bummer, but it is going to make it impossible to move him for quite a while for anything if we'd like to do that as a part of the rebuild (yes rebuild, reboot is delusional nonsense, and the only people buying that idea live in Maryland, Virginia and DC).

So it's not gonna be a killer in the same way say, the idiotic failure to trade Beal the last half decade was, nor the horrendous contract given to him last year, but it aint helping either. Unless you just really like watching some aging Wilson on a team finishing around 19th-24th in the standings for several years is your things, it aint serving a purpose, but it isn't a nightmare either. But as stated earlier, in general, avoiding stupid contracts and mismanagement of assets on a team in decline is always kinda important, and the Caps went the opposite direction.

I'm gonna take solace in the fact that they somehow inexplicably managed to land 3 guys with first round potential despite only have 5 picks and only 1 inside the top 40. That, was brilliant, and might help us short cut how long the rebuild takes when people in the FO, and fanbase finally accept that reality.
Boy, I don't think I like anything about this take.

Cap-wise the effect this contract will have on the team's ability to manage going forward is practically zero. It's just not a crappy contract.... it's honestly cheaper than some of us expected him to come in at, and the only "issue" is the end of the term, but again... that's realistically third line money by that point.

And then to say Wilson will have no purpose on a rebuilding team while recognizing how much young talent they could have in the next paragraph means you're not really connecting those dots the way they should be. Those kids all have to learn to be pros from somebody, I prefer a big son of a bitch who has won before like Orpik before him.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Watching that video reminds me of Sean Taylor, but mostly Ronnie Lott. When you see the hits all put together like that it's clear you have a guy that loves to hit but might also like hurting people.

I'm glad he's on our side. ;)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
This just addresses buy-out. Gmbm is not a buy-out guy so it's irrelevant.

What about trade?

15 team no trade list in the first 4 years and 10 team no trade list in the final 3 years. I wouldn’t say that’s overly prohibitive if he’s still a decent player.

The signing bonus structure at the end makes him a more likely post-July 1 trade candidate so that the team that would acquire him wouldn’t have to foot the bill, but his contract also backdives a bit so that makes teams like ARI who just want to hit the cap floor more of an option. Of course the no trade list could block cap dump type trades.

All in all I’d say if he’s still relatively effective they’ll be able to trade him. If the wheels completely fall off and they are just looking to dump his cap hit like Mantha it might be difficult.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
15 team no trade list in the first 4 years and 10 team no trade list in the final 3 years. I wouldn’t say that’s overly prohibitive if he’s still a decent player.

The signing bonus structure at the end makes him a more likely post-July 1 trade candidate so that the team that would acquire him wouldn’t have to foot the bill, but his contract also backdives a bit so that makes teams like ARI who just want to hit the cap floor more of an option. Of course the no trade list could block cap dump type trades.

All in all I’d say if he’s still relatively effective they’ll be able to trade him. If the wheels completely fall off and they are just looking to dump his cap hit like Mantha it might be difficult.
After reading the Devils troll trade Goon posted his contract with retention will still have lots of value. Wilson at 4m at age 33 would still have alot of value I would guess.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
After reading the Devils troll trade Goon posted his contract with retention will still have lots of value. Wilson at 4m at age 33 would still have alot of value I would guess.

Sure, but I do have trouble envisioning a scenario where they decide to trade him while he’s still effective. Part of the logic of the deal appears to be that they see him as a bridge between the Ovechkin era and the next era of the team, so why trade him? Maybe in like year 7 of the deal maybe he wants another shot at a Cup, but aside from that type of deal I can’t see anything else happening.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Sure, but I do have trouble envisioning a scenario where they decide to trade him while he’s still effective. Part of the logic of the deal appears to be that they see him as a bridge between the Ovechkin era and the next era of the team, so why trade him? Maybe in like year 7 of the deal maybe he wants another shot at a Cup, but aside from that type of deal I can’t see anything else happening.
In 2 seasons Ovie could have the record and we have all the bad contracts off the books. It could be a really different team.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
For somebody who loves numbers I'm surprised the contract side of things just eludes you regularly.

This isn't a difficult contract to manage.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
The last of the Cup reward contracts! We could re-sign Wilson for 8x8, it wouldn't matter. His contract isn't set during the contending period of the Caps any way, so it I don't expect it to impede the Caps at all (unlike Laich or Oshie).

The only regret is that I truly believe it would be possible to rent Tom late in this year for a great return and a handshake agreement to come back after playoffs (maybe for even better contract) to a team with stronger future. But oh well, I guess the FO had no intention of tempting fates.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
For somebody who loves numbers I'm surprised the contract side of things just eludes you regularly.

This isn't a difficult contract to manage.

I’m not saying it is. I’m saying I don’t see Washington trading him barring a complete collapse on his part, or barring him wanting to be traded to a contender in his final year. I don’t think there’d be an appetite for a trade from either side until maybe that final year.

Oddly enough I think this is one of the few long-term contracts that makes more sense in the long-term than in the short-term. It makes sense from a leadership point of view once all of Ovechkin/Backstrom/Oshie/Carlson are done but it doesn’t really help them much now compared to alternatives had they decided to move him.

Reactions: apparentlyclueless

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3