Tom Wilson Has Arrived At Last

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What's the difference with this hit then?

Nothing. When guys are close to the boards and see a big check coming, then turn to avoid it last minute, the hitter is put into a no win situation. I hate guys turning away from checks. Take it.

My only issue with Wilson is that he sometimes sees guys in a bad position....and targets them. But he is not alone in that regard in the league. He hits to hurt, not just separate the player from the puck

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Nothing. When guys are close to the boards and see a big check coming, then turn to avoid it last minute, the hitter is put into a no win situation. I hate guys turning away from checks. Take it.

My only issue with Wilson is that he sometimes sees guys in a bad position....and targets them. But he is not alone in that regard in the league. He hits to hurt, not just separate the player from the puck

My point is that Martin and Wilson's hits are the same. Even if the guy doesn't turn away from the hit, they still get drilled. I was replying to a guy who said that Martin would never hit to hurt. I think we can both agree that the big hitters in this league all try to hurt their opponent, otherwise they would use just enough force to bump their opponent off the puck.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
My point is that Martin and Wilson's hits are the same. Even if the guy doesn't turn away from the hit, they still get drilled. I was replying to a guy who said that Martin would never hit to hurt. I think we can both agree that the big hitters in this league all try to hurt their opponent, otherwise they would use just enough force to bump their opponent off the puck.

Disagree. Martin’s hits generally are delivered textbook correctly. Often dislodging the player from puck or the play. Considering the amount of hits he throws; Martin has an exceptional ratio of not hurting players.

Tom Wilson’s reputation on this board and throughout hockey is not a simple fabrication. Many feel he hits recklessly or with intention of disabling a player from game action.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
He only knows one skating speed and it's full speed. A lot of guys hit to hurt. I can name a few off the top of my head: Gudas, Kronwall, Orpik, Martin, Weber...

Part of hitting is also to hurt the opponent. Obviously you should let up if the guy is in a vulnerable position but if the guy sees you coming, there's no reason for you not to light him up.

Martin was laying 300+ hits a season. Rarely did you see him injure someone. the times that did happen was obviously unintentional. He wasn't picking low hanging fruit in terms of smaller players to run at.

Total BS huh?

The guy lead the league in hits for a few seasons and that's what you come up with?

Also this.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Martin was laying 300+ hits a season. Rarely did you see him injure someone. the times that did happen was obviously unintentional. He wasn't picking low hanging fruit in terms of smaller players to run at.

The guy lead the league in hits for a few seasons and that's what you come up with?

So what? Tom Wilson is consistently in the top 10 for hits every season with around 240 hits per season, and he's not getting suspended every 5 seconds nor is he trying to hurt other players all the time. This year was the first time he got suspended in his career.

I can come up with other clips if you want.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
So what? Tom Wilson is consistently in the top 10 for hits every season with around 240 hits per season, and he's not getting suspended every 5 seconds nor is he trying to hurt other players all the time. This year was the first time he got suspended in his career.

I can come up with other clips if you want.

Have one for you...

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

Just so we’re clear there’s something wrong with isles fans thinking a player is a dirty **** after this hit :laugh:. He’s a *******

That is a textbook hard hit lol. Isles should bubblewrap their players so big scary Willie doesn't break them with run of the mill heavy hits. If Matt Martin ever throws a hit that clean it will be a first

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
I’ll be impressed when he gets 3 points against a team that isn’t the Chicago Blackhawks.

I really don’t want to start an argument, but it is sort of funny how Devil fans across the board will talk up their current group of young guys 30 games into some of their careers as if we are witnessing something truly special while being so quick to knock down a young vet like Tom W or H Lundqvist for that matter...a term I often hear repeated is “couldn’t hold Marty’s jock strap...”
Of course if it his crossing the line on hits, you have very thin soil beneath your feet with the likes of Stevens, Lemieux Janssen and McKenzie having proudly worn the red and black.
Again, no need for a war here, but you would love a kid like Wilson on your club.

Reactions: CapsJunkie

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
That is a textbook hard hit lol. Isles should bubblewrap their players so big scary Willie doesn't break them with run of the mill heavy hits. If Matt Martin ever throws a hit that clean it will be a first

Actually Wilson went to bubble wrap himself when Boulton came calling. Just saying.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I really don’t want to start an argument, but it is sort of funny how Devil fans across the board will talk up their current group of young guys 30 games into some of their careers as if we are witnessing something truly special while being so quick to knock down a young vet like Tom W or H Lundqvist for that matter...a term I often hear repeated is “couldn’t hold Marty’s jock strap...”
Of course if it his crossing the line on hits, you have very thin soil beneath your feet with the likes of Stevens, Lemieux Janssen and McKenzie having proudly worn the red and black.
Again, no need for a war here, but you would love a kid like Wilson on your club.
Your points are sort of all over the place here. Once again, the comment was a joke because every 3 point game he’s had (2) have come against the black hawks, both this year I believe and the follow up comments were addressed with said poster but at the same time, it’s not the first time people have said, “hey look! Tom Wilson’s finally putting it all together!” It’s a completely different to sing the praises of a team that was picked, practically unanimously to finish at the bottom of the division, for being one of the top 3 teams in the best division in hockey more then 1/4 the way through the season then it is to praise the individual player having a solid start to the season.

And nobody on the board knocks lundqvist as a garbage goaltender or anything like that. You’re not going to get a rational or reasonable response from someone when comparing him to one of the best to ever play the game. You’ll get plenty of inebriated riff-raf at the games saying stuff like that, but my and most dislike of hanky is because he’s too damn good.

Stevens does not belong with the rest of those names there and Lemieux turned into a total dirtbag after we traded him. So technically we only employed bad Claude in 2000. But I’m having trouble remembering this McKenzie fellow.

Would I love a kid like Wilson on my team? Ehh. I guess? I mean I’d certainly take him if I’m picking between him and
Beau Bennett.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Actually Wilson went to bubble wrap himself when Boulton came calling. Just saying.
Caps fans have told countless Islanders fans this before. Wilson did not have to fight Boulton. He answered for the Vis hit the next game. He doesn't have to go down the line and fight every single Islanders tough guy for one hit. The Islanders hurt themselves by actually playing Boulton just to try to go out and fight Willy. Hell, Boulton only played in 16 games through 2 seasons. You guys should be mad at the Islanders for actually letting this guy play and take up cap space.

:laugh: You have no idea what his intentions were because you're not Matt Martin.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Caps fans have told countless Islanders fans this before. Wilson did not have to fight Boulton. He answered for the Vis hit the next game. He doesn't have to go down the line and fight every single Islanders tough guy for one hit. The Islanders hurt themselves by actually playing Boulton just to try to go out and fight Willy. Hell, Boulton only played in 16 games through 2 seasons. You guys should be mad at the Islanders for actually letting this guy play and take up cap space.

:laugh: You have no idea what his intentions were because you're not Matt Martin.

Well Ballard seemed to have a idea on the hit...

Ballard Discusses Injury And Future

“I was in a bad spot, and I think I was in a bad spot regardless,” Ballard said. “I had dumped the puck and he’s playing on the other side of the ice and comes all the way over to finish his check, which I understand that; guys like that that’s what they do."
The National Hockey League didn’t discipline Martin for the incident.
“For me, I was kind of just trying to side step it and he moved right with me,” Ballard said.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Eric Boulton. Now there's a useful player. Tom Wilson had nearly half as many points in one game against the Chicago Blackhawks (4) as Boulton had in any season of his illustrious career (13pts once but 10 was his CAREER high otherwise). But I forgot, Wilson needed to fight Boulton in the pre-season months after his hit on Visnovsky when Matt Martin was on the ice. Why didn't Martin take Wilson to task right then and there. Isles fans really need to give up on this Boulton is the definition of a low-life and if I were Wilson I wouldn't have justified the ~5games a season the Isles elected to play Boulton either. Wilson has fought Reaves and Dalton Prout and plenty of other true heavies much scarier than Eric Boulton I doubt his refusal was motivated by fear.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Eric Boulton. Now there's a useful player. Tom Wilson had nearly half as many points in one game against the Chicago Blackhawks (4) as Boulton had in any season of his illustrious career (13pts once but 10 was his CAREER high otherwise). But I forgot, Wilson needed to fight Boulton in the pre-season months after his hit on Visnovsky when Matt Martin was on the ice. Why didn't Martin take Wilson to task right then and there. Isles fans really need to give up on this Boulton is the definition of a low-life and if I were Wilson I wouldn't have justified the ~5games a season the Isles elected to play Boulton either. Wilson has fought Reaves and Dalton Prout and plenty of other true heavies much scarier than Eric Boulton I doubt his refusal was motivated by fear.

NHL Career Hat Tricks:

Eric Boulton-1
Tom Wilson-0

;)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Matt martin? He is very aware and often lets up when his target gets in a vulnerable position. Total bs to accuse him. One of the most sportsmanlike guys out there.

Wow.

Just wow.

Matt Martin tried to go full Bertuzzi on one of the Penguins (Max Talbot i think?) few years back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad