Confirmed with Link: Tom Anselmi in as CEO and President, Cyril Leeder steps down

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 137785

besides the smoking section another thing i think that is hindering attendance is the no backpack policy.

I'm not a student anymore but that did stop me from going to games after classes, not leaving my macbook in my locker overnight, and can't leave that **** in a bus either. They should find a solution for that so much more sales from the algonquin, carleton, and OttawaU crowd.

Totally agree. Just another example of fan un-friendly policies. You would think they would think or care about this stuff. People carry laptops or tablets to andfrom games, it's just a fact. I'd be interested in knowing how other arenas deal with people bringing in iPads etc. into the arena. There has to be a better way.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Totally agree. Just another example of fan un-friendly policies. You would think they would think or care about this stuff. People carry laptops or tablets to andfrom games, it's just a fact. I'd be interested in knowing how other arenas deal with people bringing in iPads etc. into the arena. There has to be a better way.

I know New York Rangers have the same policies. Most arenas aren't in the middle of butt **** no where so people have the ability to drop their stuff of at home, or are able to pick it up from say their school on their way back if needed.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
All comments/complaints about reasons for non-attendance should be treated as valid but some should come with strings attached.

The Sens should set up an issue page on their site. Some things like traffic, park and ride options and buses are city issues or location based but it would be good to know what impact those have on attendance so these would be selectable items for everyone. However issues which are under the team's control would require a commitment to select them. So if smoking or backpacks are an issue for you then back it up with a guarantee of buying tickets if they change it and provide a smoking area or lockers etc.... To add your check mark next to certain issues you would have to commit to buying x number of game tickets with a non refundable deposit. That way it would not be all talk. Why waste effort to fix an issue that isn't real or has minimal impact on attendance. It would allow them to concentrate on meaningful complaints and those that they can actually change.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

Bags are now banned from big events on the hill which some have said delays people getting in and line ups are huge.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I read a few articles and Melnyk has mentioned a few times that something is off and the term "re-branding" has been dropped more than once. I wonder how far it will go - new logo?.

The game day experience is outdated and stale and sure needs some help. When you are celebrating 25 years and the best you can do for folks arriving early is to subject them to a camera shot of a guy playing the organ things have hit rock bottom. We don't even think of showing up real early to eat at the rink, just to avoid organ torture.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Changing the logo would make me sad, i would love to switch back to the 2D logo, but if we go and ditch the senator or whatever it is, its like spitting on the identity of the team. Don't like what dallas did.

All comments/complaints about reasons for non-attendance should be treated as valid but some should come with strings attached.

The Sens should set up an issue page on their site. Some things like traffic, park and ride options and buses are city issues or location based but it would be good to know what impact those have on attendance so these would be selectable items for everyone. However issues which are under the team's control would require a commitment to select them. So if smoking or backpacks are an issue for you then back it up with a guarantee of buying tickets if they change it and provide a smoking area or lockers etc.... To add your check mark next to certain issues you would have to commit to buying x number of game tickets with a non refundable deposit. That way it would not be all talk. Why waste effort to fix an issue that isn't real or has minimal impact on attendance. It would allow them to concentrate on meaningful complaints and those that they can actually change.

even if it boosts attendance a bit, its still increased revenue for minimal costs. I do strongly believe a smoking section will bring some people people back, and a courtesy desk/trailer would help college/uni kids a lot.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I must have been reading a different article than you guys.

I'd be pissed if my executive earning over $300,000 in total earnings best marketing was "Young and Hungry" as well.

Not to mention the vast majority of this board agrees that the Sens marketing is a joke, and here, the owner is agreeing with us and fired the head of marketing, and somehow Melnyk is the bad guy.

Also lol @ expecting 24 months in termination notice.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I must have been reading a different article than you guys.

I'd be pissed if my executive earning over $300,000 in total earnings best marketing was "Young and Hungry" as well.

Not to mention the vast majority of this board agrees that the Sens marketing is a joke, and here, the owner is agreeing with us and fired the head of marketing, and somehow Melnyk is the bad guy.

Also lol @ expecting 24 months in termination notice.

Uh.

O’Leary claims it was difficult retaining and attracting staff when the hockey club reduced net pay and was late on bonus pay. He alleges the Senators made all departments reduce spending by 10 per cent, which led to personnel reductions, including janitors. As a result, “professional staff were required to clean offices and empty garbage bins.â€

I can see why this team needed to send the Rangers a pick so they would pay Brassard's bonus for us.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I'm not Melnyk's biggest fan but this doesn't smell like him being cheap or incompetent at all. In fact, I see it as the opposite, we've been complaining about the marketing and presence of the team for awhile. This seems like Melnyk recovered from his surgery and almost immediately figured out that this was subpar and took action. Bravo, hiring Anselmi is not taking shortcuts either, he's a big player.

The court stuff is just noise that happens with every company in the country when folks get fired.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
O’Leary claims it was difficult retaining and attracting staff when the hockey club reduced net pay and was late on bonus pay. He alleges the Senators made all departments reduce spending by 10 per cent, which led to personnel reductions, including janitors. As a result, “professional staff were required to clean offices and empty garbage bins.”

The Nhl should be embarrassed to call this clown one of its owners.

utah

Apr 12, 2006
I'm not shocked by any of this....it's business.

But Eugene Melnyk isn't the kind of person I'd want to work for, and the organization comes across as screwed up, given the incidences like denying a bonus, then paying a bonus, then asking for it back.....all in a flurry of emails.

As for the emails, they'll undoubtedly play a big part in the court case when it's heard in court, if it gets that far without an settlement.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'm not Melnyk's biggest fan but this doesn't smell like him being cheap or incompetent at all. In fact, I see it as the opposite, we've been complaining about the marketing and presence of the team for awhile. This seems like Melnyk recovered from his surgery and almost immediately figured out that this was subpar and took action. Bravo, hiring Anselmi is not taking shortcuts either, he's a big player.

The court stuff is just noise that happens with every company in the country when folks get fired.

Agreed, plus attendance was at its' worst during his time. (tbh not sure if a bonus was in line or not, plus I'm sure there's more we don't know)

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Well that O'Leary guy kinda failed at his job though.
Gotta say I'm happy he got the boot and good to see Melnyk taking it seriously. I've been saying since last year this whole attendance thing was a marketing failure.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
That guy wad getting paid a lot of money while performing horribly.

Melnyk is a clown but he's the boss. Having some guy who got fired for sucking at his job cry to the courts about Melnyk's antics is a bit ridiculous.

But who knows? Maybe there's more than meets the eye to this story.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Uh.

I can see why this team needed to send the Rangers a pick so they would pay Brassard's bonus for us.

Okay, you take a claim at face value when the person is clearly trying to get as much money as possible?

Sounds like Melnyk was pretty convinced he didn't earn his bonus.

Who know's what is true, I sure don't.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Well we knew Melnyk was petty....definitely not someone I'd want to work for.

That said, he was right to question the marketing and the results speak for themselves.

The rest of the pettiness and having employees clean the office and not provide bonuses to the staff...if that's true then yikes. Bonuses are performance based too...the court case should be a doozy.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If some spicy details come out in court about Melnyk's abusive behaviour, I wonder if the league could Donald Sterling him out of their boys club. Would be great.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I will say this that when Melnyk needed a new liver, the sens went to work with their marketing. So it is pretty ********-ish of melnyk to just drop the ppl that may have helped save his life in such a manner

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
The rest of the pettiness and having employees clean the office and not provide bonuses to the staff...if that's true then yikes. Bonuses are performance based too...the court case should be a doozy.

It won't be a doozy, it will be like most of the thousands of these claims that happen every year. Of course most of those aren't high profile that get reported on in the local paper. I have been involved in a few of these labour cases, they are kind of ridiculous and most are either thrown out immediately or settled for a fraction of the ask.

The quote about "cleaning offices" is actually one I've heard before, it's fluff. Janitorial staff are notoriously transient, nature of the business. Imagine that an unreliable janitor is fired unexpectantly on the night of his shift (happens a lot), the cans aren't getting emptied that night. Maybe you have to carry your can to the main depot the next morning (oh the horror). But it makes for great gist for the loud lawyer throwing stuff at the wall. This is nothing.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
So we're just taking the guy at his word?

This sounds like two arrogant *******s facing off (Melnyk and O'Leary).

But as usual this board will believe the absolute worst about this team and money :rolleyes:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad