Confirmed with Link: Tom Anselmi in as CEO and President, Cyril Leeder steps down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I'm 100% behind this, if it means we will re-brand to something less Mickey Mouse.

The following can be greatly improved:

-Jerseys
-Marketing (how did they didn't do a Chris Neil "grill" night on his 1000th game, I have no idea)
-In game experience (our music and on ice entertainment is atrocious)
-Logo

Agreed. Many things the sens do seem second rate. Just look at Murray ring of honour pillar. I was hoping for something distinctive like a bust, statue or carving of Murray looking down at the ice which would give a character and unique feel to the building. Instead we have a horrible picture that looks like something out of ea sports NHL '03.

We're in a government town where everything at people's work has to be mainstream, cookie cutter and basic. If the team breaks the mould and tries new things I'm sure fans will embrace it. If you fail, whatever try again. Like the Spartan intro, brutal failure and somewhat embarrassing but at least they tried something. I appreciated the idea.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
The Skydome cost $570 million to build mostly funded by the feds and Ontario but the big issue is it was sold for $25 million.

The skydome cost to the taxpayers is held up as a prime reason why such sports stadiums should never get government money.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-not-with-my-money-never-again/article786278/

The cost of the dome grew from the original estimate of $125-million to $278-million to nearly $600-million. And - surprise! - taxpayers were on the hook for at least half of it.

In 1993, the provincial government sold the concrete pile to a private company (chaired by Senator Eyton) for $150-million. It was sold again for $80-million in 1999 under the supervision of a bankruptcy court. Finally, in 2004, Ted Rogers and his Toronto Blue Jays snapped it up for $25-million, about four per cent of its cost.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Agreed. Many things the sens do seem second rate. Just look at Murray ring of honour pillar. I was hoping for something distinctive like a bust, statue or carving of Murray looking down at the ice which would give a character and unique feel to the building. Instead we have a horrible picture that looks like something out of ea sports NHL '03.

We're in a government town where everything at people's work has to be mainstream, cookie cutter and basic. If the team breaks the mould and tries new things I'm sure fans will embrace it. If you fail, whatever try again. Like the Spartan intro, brutal failure and somewhat embarrassing but at least they tried something. I appreciated the idea.

Not just Ottawa look at Toronto the Bmo Field expansion was going look more like a stadium you see in Europe but people complained said no that's to extreme for Toronto and Canada.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

I agree with your sentiment but disagree on the bolded, generally people in Ottawa immediately hate anything new or any change whatsoever, if it is decent folks will come around over time but not right off the bat.

The recent hiring of the new CEO is a prime example, many are complaining already with almost zero facts on why the move was made and are upset because the previous CEO was a nice guy. I would like to give the new guy a chance and who knows imagine he is actually better for the team than Leeder was. I personally have not been a fan of where the brand is headed (Kiddie Atmosphere, Uniforms, Promos, Gameday experience etc...)so I am grateful for this change if not only to try something different as status quo does not interest me.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I agree with your sentiment but disagree on the bolded, generally people in Ottawa immediately hate anything new or any change whatsoever, if it is decent folks will come around over time but not right off the bat.

The recent hiring of the new CEO is a prime example, many are complaining already with almost zero facts on why the move was made and are upset because the previous CEO was a nice guy. I would like to give the new guy a chance and who knows imagine he is actually better for the team than Leeder was. I personally have not been a fan of where the brand is headed (Kiddie Atmosphere, Uniforms, Promos, Gameday experience etc...)so I am grateful for this change if not only to try something different as status quo does not interest me.

I respect Leeder a 25 year career is nothing to sneeze at but the past couple years things have got stale and a move was needed.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I respect Leeder a 25 year career is nothing to sneeze at but the past couple years things have got stale and a move was needed.

100% agree, im ready to try something else....as far as the brand, game day experience etc..it can really only go up imo

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Leeder is scheduled to address the media today at 1:15 pm - it will be interesting to hear what he has to say. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would "kiss and tell" too much, but he may give some insights into the "creative differences" with Eugene that led to this split.

Wayne Scanlan of the Citizen obviously got Leeder to talk off the record, though. Scanlan reported yesterday that Leeder knew his days were numbered. Scanlan reminded people that two Chief Financial Officers and a Marketing/Ticketing VP have been either fired or quit in the last two years, with none of those decisions made by Leeder, so the writing was on the wall. Financially it was smart of Leeder to wait to be fired, though, as opposed to quitting - if you're fired as a senior executive you get a nice fat severance deal, whereas if you quit you get nothing...

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Leeder is scheduled to address the media today at 1:15 pm - it will be interesting to hear what he has to say. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would "kiss and tell" too much, but he may give some insights into the "creative differences" with Eugene that led to this split.

Wayne Scanlan of the Citizen obviously got Leeder to talk off the record, though. Scanlan reported yesterday that Leeder knew his days were numbered. Scanlan reminded people that two Chief Financial Officers and a Marketing/Ticketing VP have been either fired or quit in the last two years, with none of those decisions made by Leeder, so the writing was on the wall. Financially it was smart of Leeder to wait to be fired, though, as opposed to quitting - if you're fired as a senior executive you get a nice fat severance deal, whereas if you quit you get nothing...

I picture a George Costanza situation where Melnyk is doing everything in his power to get Leeder to quit to save a buck and Leeder keeps staying no matter what. Melnyk probably cut off his access to his office with his private bathroom and then Leeder snuk in through the air ducts, called up Melnyk's secretary and was like "if Mr. Melnyk needs to speak with me, tell him I AM IN MY OFFICE."

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I picture a George Costanza situation where Melnyk is doing everything in his power to get Leeder to quit to save a buck and Leeder keeps staying no matter what. Melnyk probably cut off his access to his office with his private bathroom and then Leeder snuk in through the air ducts, called up Melnyk's secretary and was like "if Mr. Melnyk needs to speak with me, tell him I AM IN MY OFFICE."

Thing is Leeder likely is tons cheaper compared to Tom.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Uh-oh.
This could get interesting.

Will be interesting.

I understand why it had to be done, but apparently Melnyk was thinking about this after he won the LeBreton bid, which Leeder helped with. If this is the case, it's gotta leave a bitter taste in his mouth.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Always sad when long-term employees get let go, but I do think this is the right move for this organization at this time. The Flats project is enormous and could use someone with elevated skills to head it.

It looks like most agree that the organization is a bit stale right now. Agreed, this happens after a while in large organizations and that's what they do, get new eyes from outside to take the next step.

This is also a step our media coverage (all mediums) should take too. They too have been the exact same for 25 years, time for a change there too, people with different ideas.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Always sad when long-term employees get let go, but I do think this is the right move for this organization at this time. The Flats project is enormous and could use someone with elevated skills to head it.

It looks like most agree that the organization is a bit stale right now. Agreed, this happens after a while in large organizations and that's what they do, get new eyes from outside to take the next step.

This is also a step our media coverage (all mediums) should take too. They too have been the exact same for 25 years, time for a change there too, people with different ideas.

The media has said they can't compete and need a bail out so I doubt you will see much change.

member 137785

Agreed, but the 2nd level smoking section is pretty much purpose built for that. Smoking is horrible, it sucks, but if 10-20% of your fans smoke you should keep them happy. Business 101.

It helps your sales. That's what matters.

member 137785

All for it! As long as the smoking section is in the parking lot.

If your gentle nose cannot stand a bit of smoke smell off patrons you should avoid all bars etc. in the city.

As long as you admit that you hate the smell of second hand smoke off a jacket or shirt than love having a hockey team in Ottawa that's cool, if that's the mountain you want to die on good on you. Live with the consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
besides the smoking section another thing i think that is hindering attendance is the no backpack policy.

I'm not a student anymore but that did stop me from going to games after classes, not leaving my macbook in my locker overnight, and can't leave that **** in a bus either. They should find a solution for that so much more sales from the algonquin, carleton, and OttawaU crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland