Confirmed with Link: Tom Anselmi in as CEO and President, Cyril Leeder steps down

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I will say this that when Melnyk needed a new liver, the sens went to work with their marketing. So it is pretty ********-ish of melnyk to just drop the ppl that may have helped save his life in such a manner

Leeder was very prominent in the appeals for a liver donor.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I must have been reading a different article than you guys.

I'd be pissed if my executive earning over $300,000 in total earnings best marketing was "Young and Hungry" as well.

Not to mention the vast majority of this board agrees that the Sens marketing is a joke, and here, the owner is agreeing with us and fired the head of marketing, and somehow Melnyk is the bad guy.

Also lol @ expecting 24 months in termination notice.

I agree with you 100%.

lol @ emptying their own garbage cans though. But for $300,000 and horrendously underperforming, I'll change my own garbage too.

Let's face it, these guys did a terrible marketing job, resulting in one of the reasons for poor ticket sales. Young and Hungry? United in Red? Sens Army? The radio ads... it's all terrible. I'm glad they cleaned house. This lawsuit is a joke.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I have to empty my garbage at work too, in the interests of cost savings.
I'm pretty sure they weren't taking the primary receptacles out to the curb though, but rather your personal little trash bucket over to the primary receptacle.

And I would really like to know how standard an executive contract with a two year notice of termination is... That seems a bit ridiculous.

Plus half the total ask is for 'damages', so that's just the lawyer looking to inflate his own payday.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Leeder was very prominent in the appeals for a liver donor.

Look, no one is saying that Leeder is a hardworking guy and evidently a great human being. But when you start sucking at your job, you can't be sheltered from the axe forever.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
O’Leary claims it was difficult retaining and attracting staff when the hockey club reduced net pay and was late on bonus pay. He alleges the Senators made all departments reduce spending by 10 per cent, which led to personnel reductions, including janitors. As a result, “professional staff were required to clean offices and empty garbage bins.â€
Not surprising because it's Melnyk.

YOW

Nov 17, 2013
oceanview cabin
C'mon guys, somethings rotten in Denmark here. You know it.

Lots of executives are fired, let go, given a golden handshake whatever you want to call it.....Hydro one is a great example. Executives take care of themselves even when they suck...here's some money go away-have a nice day.

People in sports entertainment get let go all the time for non performance. Happens.

With the Senators and Melnyk there is always a bush league stink to it.

Remember Dave Cameron? You may not have liked the way the guy coached but for Melnyk to have publicly embarrassed the guy and hung him out to dry...while calling him a friend was bush league and embarrassing.

It's not so much why Melnyk does it ....it's the way he does it...... emotional, unhinged, unprofessional. Hello Alfredsson....

I think the guy has a point......let him have his day in court.

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
C'mon guys, somethings rotten in Denmark here. You know it.

Lots of executives are fired, let go, given a golden handshake whatever you want to call it.....Hydro one is a great example. Executives take care of themselves even when they suck...here's some money go away-have a nice day.

People in sports entertainment get let go all the time for non performance. Happens.

With the Senators and Melnyk there is always a bush league stink to it.

Remember Dave Cameron? You may not have liked the way the guy coached but for Melnyk to have publicly embarrassed the guy and hung him out to dry...while calling him a friend was bush league and embarrassing.

It's not so much why Melnyk does it ....it's the way he does it...... emotional, unhinged, unprofessional. Hello Alfredsson....

I think the guy has a point......let him have his day in court.

Or maybe the former head of marketing/ticket sales knows that public opinion of Melnyk is low, and hopes he can feed off this to get a pay day after he was fired? BTW i am not a fan of Melnyk either, just looking at from another perspective.

And 24 month notice for termination? the guy had the job for that long, this seems excessive for a termination notice (is it?).

YOW

Nov 17, 2013
oceanview cabin
I don't know and I suspect none of does what the complainants contract was with the Senators. Clearly he feels that the contract was violated and wants compensation.

If he has a valid contract and feels that it has been violated then he is has a right to due process. I don't argue that.

What I am emphasising is that the way Melnyk does business and treats his employees is really the issue here.

What I would offer for further consideration is what is the bigger picture here.

Melnyk's running mouth publicly. His rift with Alfredsson. His embarrasing Cameron. Why are we going through CFO's (3+?)in the last 8 years? Now a public lawsuit with a former employee...Leeder leaving but taking the high road because he wants to work in this town again.

Oh if the walls could talk.....Actually I guess they are talking.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I think the 24 months thing is just the maximum ask under the employment standards act.

This seems like it'd be a slightly relevant case in terms of notice requirements :
http://www.blumbergs.ca/articles/12...e-required-for-a-terminated-19-month-employee

So probably you'll see something where they settle out of court and it'll be for the equivalent amount of 6-12 months of pay, including benefits.

The 200k in bonuses (wtf, that's 10x what he got when working there) and the 700k or so in 'damages' probably mostly get dropped and are asked for shock value. After all, suing for 1.55M sounds much more impressive than for 300k and more likely gets you press time.

YOW

Nov 17, 2013
oceanview cabin
Absolutely Caeldan that's just lawyer posturing....nuts and bolts.

It's not necessarily the why.....again executives get fired every day and they take the payout and handshake and leave. Sorry it didn't work out no hard feelings.... all politically correct.

What seems to be more important to pay attention to is the how Melnyk does business and how unprofessional it appears to be and this lawsuit sheds some light on some ugly viewpoints.
Let them air it in a court of law for the record is all I am saying.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, there's been enough incidents and smoke behind the scenes to know that Melynk is skuzzy. O'Leary doesn't sound all that great, either. we saw how awful marketing was for the team. Of course, when you're given a shoestring budget yet expected to produce diamonds....you're going to fail.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Changing the logo would make me sad, i would love to switch back to the 2D logo, but if we go and ditch the senator or whatever it is, its like spitting on the identity of the team. Don't like what dallas did.

even if it boosts attendance a bit, its still increased revenue for minimal costs. I do strongly believe a smoking section will bring some people people back, and a courtesy desk/trailer would help college/uni kids a lot.

Yeah, I agree with you about abandoning the 2D logo. I think the idea of completely changing the logo after 25 years of existence is silly. If they switch to the O jerseys, hopefully they put the 2D on the shoulder patches.

Also, with regard to the smoking section...that ship has sailed. I know people hate it but it's a LEAGUE WIDE rule. Ottawa didn't implement it to give the middle finger to their fan base. The NHL is taking what they feel are necessary precautions to limit liability.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
If some spicy details come out in court about Melnyk's abusive behaviour, I wonder if the league could Donald Sterling him out of their boys club. Would be great.

Doubt that will happen, but whose to say the new owner would keep the team here? I'll take Melnyk as the owner and have a team as opposed to a new guy buying the team and moving them.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Seems to me this is a case of a ***tty employee taking a ****ty boss to court.

I mean, no one looks good here, so let's not try to take sides.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
FolignoQuantumLeap

If you look at most teams there are issues like this now if the league forced Melynk out they would have to do it each times something comes up which I don't think that's something any league wants to get into.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Yeah, there's been enough incidents and smoke behind the scenes to know that Melynk is skuzzy. O'Leary doesn't sound all that great, either. we saw how awful marketing was for the team. Of course, when you're given a shoestring budget yet expected to produce diamonds....you're going to fail.

There $5 million from the cap that's not shoestring.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Absolutely Caeldan that's just lawyer posturing....nuts and bolts.

It's not necessarily the why.....again executives get fired every day and they take the payout and handshake and leave. Sorry it didn't work out no hard feelings.... all politically correct.

What seems to be more important to pay attention to is the how Melnyk does business and how unprofessional it appears to be and this lawsuit sheds some light on some ugly viewpoints.
Let them air it in a court of law for the record is all I am saying.

Or we will find out there is nothing to it.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I agree with your post except this...if 24 months was what was agreed to in the contract, he would have every right to go after it.

Exactly I've read about higher up employee' getting sued because the company needed more time to replace them. Basically gave 6 weeks notice and sued the ex employee stating they needed 6 months notice. Western Canada though Alberta has laws on this stuff where in Ontario its not as set in stone, unless it's in his contract like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad