Confirmed with Link: Tom Anselmi in as CEO and President, Cyril Leeder steps down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I wonder if they are waiting for the arena move to do the rebrand (more specifically, logo change) overhaul. That way you don't have to spend tons of money changing all the banners, murals, logos, etc at the CTC. You do it all new for the new arena.

Possibly, but based on Melnyk's comments about the need to make overall changes I would expect change to start fairly soon in the Business Ops side of the Senators.

There are rarely new CEO hires that don't bring some immediate change.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The Skydome cost $570 million to build mostly funded by the feds and Ontario but the big issue is it was sold for $25 million.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
That could be true however I hope he had nothing to do with the Skydome as it was way over budget and tuned into one of the biggest boondoggles in Canadian sports history.

The big 'O' in Montreal was way worse

People forget that Leeder built the Palladium

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The big 'O' in Montreal was way worse

People forget that Leeder built the Palladium

In fairness - LeBreton Flats is a massive build-up compared to the Palladium.

I think getting a guy from Toronto with a lot of experience is the smart move. I'm guessing low attendance kind of sealed the deal (and I don't know how you fault Leeder much for that but sometimes people are partially victims of circumstance).

donkeyy0

May 31, 2011
Perhaps a precursor to a new arena push? Anselmi has a ton of experience in major building projects. He had a big hand in the oversight of the construction of the ACC.

With that said, his track record with MLSE (Raptors, Leafs and especially TFC) as the President and COO in terms of management decisions was abysmal. It was really really bad.

Knowing Tom personally...he's hugely proud of being involved with the construction of the Sky Dome and incredibly frustrated with how TFC played out...kinda feel bad for him (when I first met him I asked him about TFC and he got superrrr defensive. I never realized how much flack he got for it till afterwards)

If there's a new arena coming, Tom is definitely a guy that could have huge pull. People seem to get tired of him quickly though. Bit of an abrasive attitude.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Tom Anselmi was on the short list for CFL Commissioner, and is probably the guy they should have hired. There's no question that this is an experienced, tough sports executive who can get things done, and priority one for him will be driving the LeBreton Flats project.

As noted above, Anselmi is a strong personality, and he wouldn't have come cheap - he'll be pulling down over a million a year guaranteed with severance provisions, etc. Therefore, he won't be afraid to speak truth to power when it comes to dealing with the owner. Deep down, maybe Eugene knew that he needed that.

I feel badly for Leeder, but he'll be OK - as a 25 year employee of the organization he's likely walking away with over a year of salary and benefits paid out to him as severance. He can go take a nice vacation and decide what's next...

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Tom Anselmi was on the short list for CFL Commissioner, and is probably the guy they should have hired. There's no question that this is an experienced, tough sports executive who can get things done, and priority one for him will be driving the LeBreton Flats project.

As noted above, Anselmi is a strong personality, and he wouldn't have come cheap - he'll be pulling down over a million a year guaranteed with severance provisions, etc. Therefore, he won't be afraid to speak truth to power when it comes to dealing with the owner. Deep down, maybe Eugene knew that he needed that.

I feel badly for Leeder, but he'll be OK - as a 25 year employee of the organization he's likely walking away with over a year of salary and benefits paid out to him as severance. He can go take a nice vacation and decide what's next...

Be kind of funny if OSEG was to hire Leeder.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Leeder never had the slightest direct impact on the on ice performance of this team. Maybe indirectly through facilities choices.

Why would Anselmi have any more influence? He's clearly being brought in to deliver a major project at LeBreton. Leeder had been around so long, that change for the sake of it was probably a good call, let alone the fact that this is an inflection point for the business and brand that is the Ottawa Senators. I support this.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Tom...
1.fix the drive time out of the arena. 2.Put a recommender engine on capital tickets for seats so that people can self identify as either looking for a family fun experience or a night of drinking and cheering hard. Let the site recommend seats to group like with like. Maybe even put all the leafs/Hans fans together so as not to disturb this town's delicate sensabilities

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Leeder never had the slightest direct impact on the on ice performance of this team. Maybe indirectly through facilities choices.

Why would Anselmi have any more influence? He's clearly being brought in to deliver a major project at LeBreton. Leeder had been around so long, that change for the sake of it was probably a good call, let alone the fact that this is an inflection point for the business and brand that is the Ottawa Senators. I support this.
Who's job is it to hire the GM?

Emerica

May 29, 2010
:laugh:

Tom won't be happy to hear that he is Belleville-bound.

it was more of a "this is what should happen" kind of bingo.

Don't be so negative about everything we do, fellas!

It's ridiculous lol. We could acquire Connor McDavid and they'd still find something to ***** about.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
It's because we gave up a 7th in the deal that could turn into a late round gem!

That's such a dumb argument though.

Anyone that follows the draft knows that there's a big chance that the guy a specific team want to pick in the 7th round will likely not even be picked if that team doesn't choose him. Then that player can be invited to camp and signed if the team really wants him...

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Stupid question: what does a Team President do? What are the skills required?

I've never been the president of anything other than a pile of notes, but I'll give it a shot. He'll be responsible for guiding the Ottawa Senators as a business. All of the behind the scenes stuff that makes everything come together. Not that he'll be deciding minor issues, but setting the vision for how the Senators are going to approach the Lebreton Redevelopment.

To me this hiring signals an aggressive approach to the Lebreton Development. They want to make sure that they get something worked out in the near future and start getting somes shovels in the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad