Tkachuk Spears Martin from the bench - Suspended 1 Game

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
No they should get a penalty like Tkachuk should have got here a 2 minute minor.

It wasn't suspension worthy, it is worthy of the Avery/Cooke references. He doesn't have a track record of being dirty, hasn't had a single dangerous play or a play that was worthy of suspension in his career.

And yet people are acting as though he is some terrible, d-bag going around doing dirty things each and every game. Of course when asked to point these dirty plays out they have nothing to respond with.
Interfering with play from the bench or other place off the ice should be treated exactly the same as a player coming back onto the ice, a 10 game ban. Maybe they'll then get it into their thick heads to stop the bs.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Tkachuk is developing himself a reputation very early on in his career. Could really affect his long term effectiveness should he get dinged here.

Love his edge and what he brings to the table, but will need to tone it back... at least for the rest of this year.

NHL loves to suspend players that have previous history and this is his second time with player safety in less then a month.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Elbows to chins happen all the time. Hockey is a dangerous game I dont find that particularly dangerous.

High sticks can take out eyes I don't think every guy that highsticks someone is dirty or makes dangerous plays.
Yes, hockey is dangerous, especially when you have tools going round throwing deliberate elbows at heads.

Not dangerous, my ar$e!

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
Oh man...he's becoming the biggest pest in the league. I love it, so glad we have him. Just seeing the salty tears in this thread and calls for him to "get his" is hilarious. You really think a kid of his age playing that type of game is scared?

Will net the team so many penalties and goals through putting people off their game.

Outstanding.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I don't think this spear was that bad... but its something I don't think NHL wants in the game...

Given his recent history, I can see a 2 game suspension coming.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
I'd love to have him on the Leafs on a line with Kadri and Komarov. I think he deserves a game because of what he did.. but the league may give him more than that due to his past transgressions.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Oh man...he's becoming the biggest pest in the league. I love it, so glad we have him. Just seeing the salty tears in this thread and calls for him to "get his" is hilarious. You really think a kid of his age playing that type of game is scared?

Will net the team so many penalties and goals through putting people off their game.

Outstanding.

I agree with you. Only problem being is that his game relies on this chippy-ness. If he develops himself a reputation with NHL player safety this early on, its really going to hinder his effectiveness longterm. Either A) being suspended and missing games or B) playing more reserved concerned about potential suspension.

The NHL really focuses on guys with past history.

With that said, i love players like him and what they bring to the game. Hes probably Calgary's most noticeable player on any given night. However he really needs to find out how to toe the line and not cross it. Just needs to cherry pick his moments a little better.

As i was saying leading up to the 2016 draft, if the Leafs were to lose out on the lottery Tkachuk was my guy. Calgary got lucky having him fall to 6th.

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg

Outstanding.
I agree its good to have a pest that can score. Any way you slice it though, he does not help the Flames by not playing for 1-3 games (which will only get worse from this point on). This is an unnecessary suspension and served no purpose. He has to pick his moments better.

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
One of the dirtiest players in the league, on one of the dirtiest teams in the league. Doesn't surprise me. Wouldn't mind him having to answer to Matt Martin next time they meet, kid would be begging for his fat, bald daddy to save his life.

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
That's a good description. It was unsportsmanlike conduct. That's about it.

I doubt he gets suspended at all. It was far from dangerous. My belt buckle pokes my tummy harder than that. (I'm fat)

Brilliant.

"Look officer, I tried to shoot him to death, but all the bullets missed, what's the big deal here?".

Take a lap would ya?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Pointless puke move. Getting a star off of his game is one thing but this guy speared a 4th liner from the bench. History shows us that the person stirring the pot will eventually have to lick the spoon.
This is what gets me, too.
If it was against Matthews and the game was important, I understand at least. But against a guy like Martin?
You only get so many strikes before the suspensions start becoming severe and this one just seems like a waste to me.
I look forward to Flames fans reactions in the coming years when he gets 2+ games for things anyone else would get nothing or a fine for.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
He'll get a game or two. Not sure it will hurt the Flames too much. It's not like he's been lighting it up lately. He has something line 1 goal in his last 15 games or so. Bennett might actually be a short-term improvement on that line.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Brilliant.

"Look officer, I tried to shoot him to death, but all the bullets missed, what's the big deal here?".

Take a lap would ya?

Are you suggesting that my belt buckle is trying to cause more damage than it is? Or (far more likely) that Tkachuk tried to injure Martin?

My post never mentioned intent. So not sure why you replied to me with your missed bullets analogy. But OK, let's talk intent. He never tried to hurt Martin. It was a mild poke. I've jabbed people harder with a retractile toy lightsaber, and it wasn't because I was trying to kill them, it's because it really wasn't that hard. It was about half the strength of the average shot with a pool cue.

He shouldn't do anything from the bench, and spearing is always illegal. So he shouldn't have done it. But comparing it to attempted murder is asinine.

Reactions: Mitts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad