Tkachuk Spears Martin from the bench - Suspended 1 Game

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
Are you suggesting that my belt buckle is trying to cause more damage than it is? Or (far more likely) that Tkachuk tried to injure Martin?

My post never mentioned intent. So not sure why you replied to me with your missed bullets analogy. But OK, let's talk intent. He never tried to hurt Martin. It was a mild poke. I've jabbed people harder with a retractile toy lightsaber, and it wasn't because I was trying to kill them, it's because it really wasn't that hard. It was about half the strength of the average shot with a pool cue.

He shouldn't do anything from the bench, and spearing is always illegal. So he shouldn't have done it. But comparing it to attempted murder is asinine.

Oh, I know you didn't. Hence the attempted murder analogy.

But no, you're absolutely right, let's completely absolve the kid of any wrong-doing simply because it didn't turn out that bad for Matt Martin. If you didn't get the crux of my previous post, (or this one) I really can't help you.

Reactions: tny760 and nturn06

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
That's a good description. It was unsportsmanlike conduct. That's about it.

I doubt he gets suspended at all. It was far from dangerous. My belt buckle pokes my tummy harder than that. (I'm fat)

Agreed about the unsportsman like. I can't see a situation that he doesn't get suspended. The bar has been set for engaging off the bench, and although this was pretty harmless I think the league gives him at least a game.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
And because if his stupid mistake earlier vs detroit....hes a repeat offender....both involving bench incidents

Now his first was a nothing tap except it involved a player on the bench and more importantly inflamed a situation....was a good suspension to let players know you cant do things to players on the bench or from a bench

1-2 gms(possibly 2 gms to send a warning)

This would be his 3 suspension in a year and half......(I get the det one is protocol suspension but a supension nonetheless)

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Oh, I know you didn't. Hence the attempted murder analogy.

But no, you're absolutely right, let's completely absolve the kid of any wrong-doing simply because it didn't turn out that bad for Matt Martin. If you didn't get the crux of my previous post, (or this one) I really can't help you.

I actually understand you significantly less now, actually. If you know my post wasn't about intent, then why was your analogy about intent? And what bad do you think could have potentially come to Matt Martin from such a vicious attack?

Essentially, do you think he meant to hurt him? And how bad do you think it could have hurt, in a worst case scenario?

Reactions: Mitts

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Under what rule is this suspendable?

spearing

Rule 62 – Spearing
62.1 Spearing - Spearing shall mean stabbing an opponent with the point
of the stick blade, whether contact is made or not.
62.2 Double-minor Penalty - A double-minor penalty will be imposed on a
player who spears an opponent and does not make contact.
62.3 Major Penalty - A major penalty shall be imposed on a player who
spears an opponent (see 62.5).
62.4 Match Penalty - A match penalty shall be imposed on a player who
injures an opponent as a result of a spear.
62.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - Whenever a major penalty is assessed
for spearing, a game misconduct penalty must also be imposed.
62.6 Fines and Suspensions - There are no specified fines or
suspensions can be
applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

I think you could also consider it leaving the bench. although he never left the bench, his stick sure did.

70.10Fines and Suspensions – The first player to leave the players’ or
penalty bench illegally during an altercation or for the purpose of
starting an altercation from either or both teams shall be suspended
automatically without pay for the next ten (10) regular League and/or
Play-off games of his team.​

but this one here. this one is the obvious no argument needed. this happened.

46.16 Third Man In - A game misconduct penalty, at the discretion of the
Referee, shall be imposed on any player who is the first to intervene
(third man in) in an altercation already in progress except when a
match penalty is being imposed in the original altercation. This penalty
is in addition to any other penalties incurred in the same incident.
This rule also applies to subsequent players who elect to intervene
in the same or other altercations during the same stoppage of play.
Generally, this rule is applied when a fight occurs​

and the automatic game misconduct carries with it an automatic referral to commissioner for further review.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
As a Leaf fan, some of us should be looking in the mirror and seeing irony.

Hard to criticize dirty play and then celebrate a repeat head shot offender in Kadri.

Sort of have to take a stand. Either you like dirty play or you don't. There is no middle ground.

Reactions: SenzZen

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
I actually understand you significantly less now, actually. If you know my post wasn't about intent, then why was your analogy about intent? And what bad do you think could have potentially come to Matt Martin from such a vicious attack?

Essentially, do you think he meant to hurt him? And how bad do you think it could have hurt, in a worst case scenario?

My post mentioned intent because you conveniently left it out of your original post. Now, let's actually have a conversation with some substance.

I do in fact think Tkachuk meant to hurt him. Have you been speared before? And please, don't bother responding with some meaningless anecdote about a toy lightsaber, answer the question directly.
It doesn't take a tremendous amount of force for someone to hurt you by spearing you in the stomach/groin with a hockey stick. I've been speared before, it isn't pleasant.

It really does seem that you're arguing just for the sake of arguing, or, you just have an affinity for dirty players and feel obligated to defend them.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Another game suspension. Looks minor, but it was intentional.

Sorry to pick on your post but I refuse to read the rest of the thread as I'm sure there's a lot of banter back and forth. But when are we going to stop using the word minor when addressing the actions of a repeat offender such as Tkachuk.

Reactions: RayB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad