Tkachuk Spears Martin from the bench - Suspended 1 Game

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Sorry but this is a total straw man argument. Just because elbowing might be more common than other dirty plays doesn’t make it any less dangerous. You’re telling me a player who has injured players throwing elbows shouldn’t be considered a dirty player? I’m not talking about Tkachuk, just in general.

so in your opinion a sucker punch isn’t a dirty play because multiple players have thrown them?

No there are different circumstances obviously. Elbowing guys without the puck, clear raised elbows could be worse, targeting the head.

In this case Tkachuk was coming in for a hit and his elbow got up. He wasn't targeting the head, wasn't trying to hit Carter without the puck, didn't come in with his elbow head high with only one intention. He went to make a hockey play. Two minute penalty, not dirty not dangerous.

A sucker punch is completely removed from the flow of play. You aren't trying to hit someone, aren't trying to get the puck, stop them from scoring etc. You are only trying to hurt them.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
see there's this thing called "intent" that makes this argument completely null

Sure and there was no bad intent in that Carter hit. Tkachuk tried to hit him and the elbow got up. No big deal happens all the time.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Ya you'd think so but nobody has yet. And he doesn't shy away. In the Doughty situation the next game he knew he had to fight. Went after Muzzin who didn't want to so Mcnabb did and it was over and done with. Like everyone of these things should be ended

Shhh

Don't use facts to confuse them. It's better to let them have their witch hunt and create their only BS narrative.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Oh boo hoo, a little spear that was clearly meant to irritate and not malicious or dangerous, little jab and people crying their eyes out, go hit your safe space.

Dude is going to end up in his own safe space if he keeps this up.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
I am relieved JB passed on this numb nuts. Character, he's got none.

Nobody's buying that. You and everyone else complaining about him would take him on your team in a heartbeat.

He did something stupid tonight and will probably have to face the consequences in the form of a 1-2 game suspension. Because it happened against the Leafs, hordes of their overreactive fanbase are now flooding the main boards with all sorts of vitriol aimed at Tkachuk. It says more about them than it does him.

Reactions: Mitts

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Love the kid's game, but spearing is garbage, and doing it from the bench is pure bush league. He needs to clean that shit up.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

pomx

May 15, 2014
JB is crying in his bed every night for that mistake

and you guys never employed *******s like Bieksa and Kesler
Mistake lol. Numb nuts fits right in the Calgary goons. Not surprised at how quickly he has adapted to the way your team plays.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I get it, people don’t like Tkachuk. He’s a bit of a rat and a pest at times, but these little taps aren’t suspension worthy. I wouldn’t be surprised ifnhe gets one, but Martin said he didn’t even feel it. Kid is still a teenager and has a little bit of immaturity in him is all I see. He’ll grow up.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
The guy is such a piece of garbage. Bench work is the ultimate scum bag move. It’s a great way to really lose any support from all parties involved, teammates included.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I get it, people don’t like Tkachuk. He’s a bit of a rat and a pest at times, but these little taps aren’t suspension worthy. I wouldn’t be surprised ifnhe gets one, but Martin said he didn’t even feel it. Kid is still a teenager and has a little bit of immaturity in him is all I see. He’ll grow up.

Lol. You bet.

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
No they should get a penalty like Tkachuk should have got here a 2 minute minor.

It wasn't suspension worthy, it is worthy of the Avery/Cooke references. He doesn't have a track record of being dirty, hasn't had a single dangerous play or a play that was worthy of suspension in his career.

And yet people are acting as though he is some terrible, d-bag going around doing dirty things each and every game. Of course when asked to point these dirty plays out they have nothing to respond with.

Hahaha. What a load of garbage.

He just did the same bull shit not two weeks ago. Open you eyes.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Meh it's whatever. Not the type of game I like to see, but it's not like we have seen antics like this before. This is a lot more intentional than many I have seen though, so maybe he's going to get suspended for it.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Nobody's buying that. You and everyone else complaining about him would take him on your team in a heartbeat.

He did something stupid tonight and will probably have to face the consequences in the form of a 1-2 game suspension. Because it happened against the Leafs, hordes of their overreactive fanbase are now flooding the main boards with all sorts of vitriol aimed at Tkachuk. It says more about them than it does him.

I like Matt Tkachuk, and initially wanted the Canucks to draft him, but he's developing a bad reputation which can lead to referee bias against the Flames. Ryan Kesler/Alex Burrows were similar players for the Canucks, and some nights there was a clear bias against the team b/c of them, so the Nucks are trying to get away from that type of player.

As for Olli Juolevi, he's doing well right now, and it's too early to judge whether he was the right pick w/ Clayton Keller & Mikhail Sergachev looking promising; Charlie McAvoy is doing well too, but I don't think he was on the Canucks radar at 5.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
People need to stop calling him a "pest" by this point. A pest doesnt get regularly get called into the league office for either fines or suspensions every 0ther week. The things he's doing are just plain stupid, not "pest" worthy.

There are actually pests in the league who are actually good at their job. Antoine Roussel (who I consider to be the best pest in the league) has played in the league for many years now and he's only been suspended 1 time.

Calgarybrutalist

Apr 2, 2014
He's reined it in a bit this year. Last season he had several dirty plays. Both his "spears" this year arent even worth discussion. Ive seen Ovechkin and Crosby do way dirtier things.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
he's gutless and someone is gonna get hurt one day really badly because of him. Hope something happens to him first to set him straight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad