Tkachuk Spears Martin from the bench - Suspended 1 Game

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Seriously? This is what has everyone’s panties in a bunch? A poke to the back of a leg and a moving jab at a guy?

Jesus, this is the state of hockey? We need to birch and main about these “dirty” plays? Do you even know what a dirty play is? Go back 10 - 15 years and check it out.

*****fication indeed.

He’s a **** disturber. He’s disturbing ****, big surprise. He isn’t taking peoples heads off. He’s taking them off their game.

This place is crazy at times.

McDavid can cross check him 4 times in a row in the numbers out of frustration and we don’t hear ****, not even a penalty. But we need a thread about mean ol’ Chuck??

It’s odd because he isn’t out there to hurt anyone, like a few of your alumni, he’s just out there to get under your skin. Clearly he does it very well judging by his threads!!

And forgive me if I don’t believe you when you say you wouldn’t want him on your team. Every team wants him. Every single one.

Let's review the Defending Rats Checklist:

"You'd love him on your team" - Check
"Everyone has gotten soft. Back in the day..." - Check.

Well done!

15 years ago would be 2002. Spearing a guy from the bench was still frowned upon.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I can’t wait till someone gets him with a perfectly clean hit or punch in a fight like Evander Kane did vs. Cooke.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I'm confused. Do you love rats or not? You seem to be critical of me for cheering for a team that has employed them, as if that is a black mark on my ability comment on others. But on the other hand you praise Tkachuk for his ability to be a rat and get under peoples skin. Which is it?

I don't mind playing on the edge. But when you cross it multiple times, there will be consequences. Sometimes those consequences hurt your team and organization. I know what it's like to have a player on your team that you are a fan of, but are tired of defending their antics at times.

And I never said I wouldn't want him on my team. I said I was partially glad we didn't draft him, because I saw these kinds of things from him. Didn't think he'd be this good this early in the NHL though.

To be honest I have no issue with the way he plays the game. He’s a pest. I wouldn’t even call him a rat, just a pest.

He doesn’t hurt people. He just pisses them off which is evident from the amount of penalties he draws, the most in the NHL I believe.

What bothers me is people claiming he’s the new scourge of the league. That he is out there intentionally hurting people. He’s not Tie Domi folks, he’s just a pain in the ass.

So the whole “he’ll get his one day” is lost on me.

And for the record.....I apologize for jumping on you. I was pissy, and shouldn’t have been. My bad.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Oh boo hoo, a little spear that was clearly meant to irritate and not malicious or dangerous, little jab and people crying their eyes out, go hit your safe space.

Reactions: Calgarybrutalist

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Oh boo hoo, a little spear that was clearly meant to irritate and not malicious or dangerous, little jab and people crying their eyes out, go hit your safe space.

"Little spear"

Log off Matthew, you had a rough night, you're not gonna make it any better.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008

So every time a player skates by the opposing bench players should feel free to give him a poke? Players on the bench are now allowed to participate with on ice affairs? Wonderful. Why not just use full face visors and make hacking and jabbing perfectly legal. That will teach them smarmy thin skinned sissy pants!

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
To be honest I have no issue with the way he plays the game. He’s a pest. I wouldn’t even call him a rat, just a pest.

He doesn’t hurt people. He just pisses them off which is evident from the amount of penalties he draws, the most in the NHL I believe.

What bothers me is people claiming he’s the new scourge of the league. That he is out there intentionally hurting people. He’s not Tie Domi folks, he’s just a pain in the ass.

So the whole “he’ll get his one day” is lost on me.

And for the record.....I apologize for jumping on you. I was pissy, and shouldn’t have been. My bad.
I didn't say any of the bolded.

From the antics I've seen, some could very well be taken as intended to hurt people. His elbow on Doughty comes to mind.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
So every time a player skates by the opposing bench players should feel free to give him a poke? Players on the bench are now allowed to participate with on ice affairs? Wonderful. Why not just use full face visors and make hacking and jabbing perfectly legal. That will teach them smarmy thin skinned sissy pants!

No they should get a penalty like Tkachuk should have got here a 2 minute minor.

It wasn't suspension worthy, it is worthy of the Avery/Cooke references. He doesn't have a track record of being dirty, hasn't had a single dangerous play or a play that was worthy of suspension in his career.

And yet people are acting as though he is some terrible, d-bag going around doing dirty things each and every game. Of course when asked to point these dirty plays out they have nothing to respond with.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I didn't say any of the bolded.

From the antics I've seen, some could very well be taken as intended to hurt people. His elbow on Doughty comes to mind.

The elbow on Doughty????

That wasn't an intent to injure and wasn't even deserving of a penalty. The only chance Doughty had of getting injured on that play was pulling a muscle on his dive to the ice.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Gutless rat.

Surprised Burke sings his praise so much, considering he’s the embodiment of everything he used to rage about.

If he can find the fine line of doing small things to disrupt the other team without doing stupid obnoxious things like this spear...he will be awesome.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
No they should get a penalty like Tkachuk should have got here a 2 minute minor.

It wasn't suspension worthy, it is worthy of the Avery/Cooke references. He doesn't have a track record of being dirty, hasn't had a single dangerous play or a play that was worthy of suspension in his career.

And yet people are acting as though he is some terrible, d-bag going around doing dirty things each and every game. Of course when asked to point these dirty plays out they have nothing to respond with.

I mean this is just not true. Elbow to doughty?

He's got a reputation now. Refs will never give him the benefit of the doubt, and the NHL is keeping a close eye on him.

I'd suspend him for a long time for this one, because he was dinged for the exact same thing, what, a week ago?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
That is neither dirty nor suspension worthy not really sure what the point of posting that is.

ShotDownInFlames

May 16, 2015
ALBERTA
I agree the stuff from in the bench is not good and hopefully that's the last time he does it. But calling it a spear and even considering that a "dangerous" play is childish. Sadly the hockey world is soft and people lose it over pokes. Martin even said he didn't even notice it. Yes Chucky needs to realize the difference between pissing guys off and not crossing the line. Normal guy gets a fine. I think he'll get a game cause of his history.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I mean this is just not true. Elbow to doughty?

He's got a reputation now. Refs will never give him the benefit of the doubt, and the NHL is keeping a close eye on him.

I'd suspend him for a long time for this one, because he was dinged for the exact same thing, what, a week ago?

Refs never give him the benefit of the doubt? He has drawn close to the highest number of penalties this year and isn't getting called for a ton.

Also no he did not do the exact same thing a week ago or any time this season.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
[mod]

actually, the video of matthew tkachuk launching an elbow into jeff carter's chin after you claimed he's never made a dangerous play shows that i have something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Someone is going to hurt him, the players have a way of working this out because the league won't.

Hurt him why?

What has he done that is so egregious that he is going to get hurt?

Does that mean Dillon is going to get hurt? Gudas? I missed when Bertuzzi got hurt after coming back? Did McSorley get hurt?

What has Tkachuk done that is so bad that he is "going to get hurt"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad