Prospect Info: Timothy Liljegren - AHL Edition

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
C'mon lol, Lily had a good ending to the tourney but he was possibly the #3/4 /5 d'man on just the Swedish team. Lily needs a 2-3 more years in the AHL.
That might be a bit harsh, I could see a good push at camp next year, maybe a callup or two, then stick 2019 at 20 years old. He still won't be a finished product on the defensive side, but with that offence he could well crack the team.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Could he play in the NHL right now? Sure.

Should he play in the NHL right now? Heck no!

Just like Nylander, Marner, Reilly, Gardiner, Brown, Dermott, etc. management was patient in developing I expect no different with Liljegren.

He's developing just fine with the Marlies by playing lots of minutes in all situations, being able to make mistakes without being roasted by fans, media, etc. and having his confidence potentially crushed.

Next camp he'll be reevaluated by I fully expect management to only promote him when he's dominated the AHL for an extended stretch and shown he's without a doubt ready for the NHL

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Could he play in the NHL right now? Sure.

Should he play in the NHL right now? Heck no!

Just like Nylander, Marner, Reilly, Gardiner, Brown, Dermott, etc. management was patient in developing I expect no different with Liljegren.

He's developing just fine with the Marlies by playing lots of minutes in all situations, being able to make mistakes without being roasted by fans, media, etc. and having his confidence potentially crushed.

Next camp he'll be reevaluated by I fully expect management to only promote him when he's dominated the AHL for an extended stretch and shown he's without a doubt ready for the NHL

I think his game in a one word description is: Calm!!!!

I really, really believe in this players complete consistency and calmness he exhibits in his game.

I am not just like this on every player. He is just pretty flawless, smooth and poised in this style of hos game he is developing.

Nit saying i am right but its a rare conposure for a kid hos age. He is going to be a grest player for us!

Later is ok with me. I just think he is really good right now. He would easily, easily be a upgrade on polak right now.

Being better now than polak is something i compared and researched with video and stats and role on the team and such.

He is just head and shoulders better already in all skills. Polak is terrible though i know. Lilly is not just barely better or anything slim. It a big margine better.

He could be something special and one of our biggest draft steal since kaberle.

Ah anyways you's are all likely right and we won't see him this season lol.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Re watched some games on TSN, he got more and more use as the tourney went on.
His edge work and pick handling at high speed are phenomenal, he just isn't 'explosive yet. It seems like he is that half step acceleration away from being able to just dominate.

Give him the rest of the year in the AHL working on his PK, defensive game, and making the smart play.

People forget he is WJC eligible again next year.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think his game in a one word description is: Calm!!!!

I really, really believe in this players complete consistency and calmness he exhibits in his game.

I am not just like this on every player. He is just pretty flawless, smooth and poised in this style of hos game he is developing.

Nit saying i am right but its a rare conposure for a kid hos age. He is going to be a grest player for us!

Later is ok with me. I just think he is really good right now. He would easily, easily be a upgrade on polak right now.

Being better now than polak is something i compared and researched with video and stats and role on the team and such.

He is just head and shoulders better already in all skills. Polak is terrible though i know. Lilly is not just barely better or anything slim. It a big margine better.

He could be something special and one of our biggest draft steal since kaberle.

Ah anyways you's are all likely right and we won't see him this season lol.

you mean to say biggest draft steal since Rask.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
maybe your right, IDK

what i do know is, there is no need to try it right now.

You are gauging better likely. Dermott can't even stay in the lineup over Polak! Kapanen is kept on the Marlies with Johnsson.

Questionable messages being sent by management now.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You are gauging better likely. Dermott can't even stay in the lineup over Polak! Kapanen is kept on the Marlies with Johnsson.

Questionable messages being sent by management now.

Not at all, these kids are not little snowflakes and neither are their representatives

They know how teams create "organisational depth" going into the POs , you send down those with waiver exemptions . Unless the player gap is huge.

They can see the pending UFAs and know there "shot" is coming very soon.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I think a Liljegren call up will happen near the end of the season and during the playoff run. The Leafs are probably going to go for a speed based lineup through all 4 lines and D pairings and will need Liljegren to make it happen.

I think the playoff lineup (and last 10 games of the season) will look like this:

Hyman Matthews Nylander
JVR Bozak Marner
Marleau Kadri Komarov
Brown Gauthier Kapanen
Martin

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Liljegren
Borgman Polak

Andersen
McBackup

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Not at all, these kids are not little snowflakes and neither are their representatives

They know how teams create "organisational depth" going into the POs , you send down those with waiver exemptions . Unless the player gap is huge.

They can see the pending UFAs and know there "shot" is coming very soon.

You don't think a guy plays two solid games should be afforded the chanxe to make it 3/4/5/6/7 etc solid games in a row?

I think he keeps being afforded the complete process of evaluation. Taking him out after expanding his role and he thrives with it says more playing time.

What kind of evaluation doesn't complete the process and sends a proper message!!!!

He deserved to play tonight! This is the lilly thread thought so nuff

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Here’s hoping Liljegren can have d-equivalent success at the NHL level like Barzal. The year before their respective drafts it was the “Barzal draft” and the “Liljegren” draft and then both got injured/sick causing them to drop IIRC.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Here’s hoping Liljegren can have d-equivalent success at the NHL level like Barzal. The year before their respective drafts it was the “Barzal draft” and the “Liljegren” draft and then both got injured/sick causing them to drop IIRC.
It really wasn't, it was the McDavid/Eichel draft and that never changed. Barzal did fall, but it was never "his draft".

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It really wasn't, it was the McDavid/Eichel draft and that never changed. Barzal did fall, but it was never "his draft".

I would say it was a big five McDavid/Eichel/Strome/Marner/Hanifin. Outside of those 5 the thought was everyone was interchangeable. We are now seeing how deep the 2015 draft really was

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
C'mon lol, Lily had a good ending to the tourney but he was possibly the #3/4 /5 d'man on just the Swedish team. Lily needs a 2-3 more years in the AHL.

#4 or #5? thats pushing it.

Liljegren played very well. Dahlin was the clear #1, but then it was Brannstrom and Liljegren, and then everyone else

Reactions: stickty111

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I like Liljegren but even Reilly did his time. They don't rush guys anymore. Waiting till 19 to play in the NHL isn't that bad of an idea. We have Dermott and Borgman to play that 3rd pairing.

Reilly - Hainsey
( ? ) - Zaitsev
Dermott - Borgman

I don't see the spot for him if we trade for a true top 3 Dman. Gardiner has peaked.

Rielly did 1 year in junior after being drafted. Liljegren has a shot at the team next year, but I think he is more likely to make it in 2019-2020 (and we are gonna need that ELC contract with Matthews,Marner and Nylander all on contract 2)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
#4 or #5? thats pushing it.

Liljegren played very well. Dahlin was the clear #1, but then it was Brannstrom and Liljegren, and then everyone else
Yeah. We had Dahlin as our #1, and then Lily and Brännström as rather equal options, with TOI divded between them depending on special teams usage, game form and game circumstances. From the numbers I've seen, Lily was #2 on our team by tournament's end.

I for that matter have no idea how someone goes from that to saying he needs 3-4 more years. That's absurd.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I'd Call him up next season while Hainsey is still around, to let him break into the league with a Veteran who can tell him what to do, how to train, and where to be each shift. Look at the impact the guy has had on Rielly (not to take anything away from Rielly).

Rielly - - - Dermott
Borgman - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Liljegren

or

Rielly - - - ______
Dermott -- Zaitsev
Hainsey - Liljegren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad