Prospect Info: Timothy Liljegren - AHL Edition

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
No way.

Liljegren came up at the end of his D+1 year and played over 20 minutes a night (in spectacular fashion) for the Bruins, including playoffs.

This year he's soaking up massive minutes with the Bruins, having great success.

Rooting for Liljegren but I don't see that development curve happening. He can definitely have success though.
You are a little confused.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
McAvoy had a mature body early..... different timeline because of that. No rush.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
He looked pretty soft in the game against Canada, he was in great position to stop Dube but just sort of let him take it to the net for the first goal without inconveniencing him too much. You'd think in a gold medal game with no score, if the other teams captain is taking the puck to the net you might do something. We have a habit around here of glorifying players if they show minor glimpses of being good and we ignore their faults. Don't ignore the faults on this guy and declare him a stud number one defender, because he isn't. That was a joke of a play at the wrong time, he's gotta be better than that. Even if he takes a penalty it's better than letting somebody go to the net unmolested. Just my 2 cents so far, people are overexcited about him for no good reason.

Reactions: Keon1963

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
He looked pretty soft in the game against Canada, he was in great position to stop Dube but just sort of let him take it to the net for the first goal without inconveniencing him too much. You'd think in a gold medal game with no score, if the other teams captain is taking the puck to the net you might do something. We have a habit around here of glorifying players if they show minor glimpses of being good and we ignore their faults. Don't ignore the faults on this guy and declare him a stud number one defender, because he isn't. That was a joke of a play at the wrong time, he's gotta be better than that. Even if he takes a penalty it's better than letting somebody go to the net unmolested. Just my 2 cents so far, people are overexcited about him for no good reason.

I don’t think anyone would say he never makes mistakes.

But to label him as generally soft based on this one play is just the opposite side of the spectrum that you’re criticising. Both are bad ways to evaluate players.

Reactions: Christ and TimeZone

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
And he went 9th overall to Dallas. Liljegren may yet be a top 3 dman. Once Kappanen and Gauthier grad that prospect pool will look a tad thin though

Because all our guys are legit NHLers. It's not a bad problem to have.

We have a draft this year to bring in the next gen..

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Basically after Liljegren , we have wingers and projects once Dermott, ,Kap and Gaut grad this year. I'd prefer more picks this year knowing it will be less ie Boyle. We have drained the pool but still have important holes.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
I want Lily to be the real deal as much as any but imo, he has a ways to go b4 he is nhl ready! I hope he has the drive & patience to do the work on and off the ice for the next 2 seasons to get a real opportunity. Last year, Mo got a role which had him focusing on D & pk. Many here were trolling him and lauding Gardiner. Now the opinions are reversed and most (like I) are concerned whether Gards has what it takes despite his natural ability. Lily has to prove the same thing and he is nowhere near that point yet. I would rather have a steady D like Timmins in the system given what we seen as a shut down RHD. No doubt Lily has more offensive upside and I hope management made the right choice.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Basically after Liljegren , we have wingers and projects once Dermott, ,Kap and Gaut grad this year. I'd prefer more picks this year knowing it will be less ie Boyle. We have drained the pool but still have important holes.

"If you don't count all our good prospects, we don't really have many good prospects".

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

At the same time, it’s also silly to use one game or even worse, one play to claim a prospect isn’t as good as others say he is.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
His offensive upside and physical tools guarantees an NHL spot at some point. If he puts it all together, we will have arguably the most mobile D-corps in the league with Rielly, Dermott and Liljegren constantly moving the puck (I'm assuming here that Gardiner is gone within the next two years).

Reactions: PromisedLand

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I want Lily to be the real deal as much as any but imo, he has a ways to go b4 he is nhl ready! I hope he has the drive & patience to do the work on and off the ice for the next 2 seasons to get a real opportunity. Last year, Mo got a role which had him focusing on D & pk. Many here were trolling him and lauding Gardiner. Now the opinions are reversed and most (like I) are concerned whether Gards has what it takes despite his natural ability. Lily has to prove the same thing and he is nowhere near that point yet. I would rather have a steady D like Timmins in the system given what we seen as a shut down RHD. No doubt Lily has more offensive upside and I hope management made the right choice.
Yeah no. I rather have the high upside player and thats Lilly. I love how a good tournament for Timmins makes people go "I rather have him". Timmins is also some time away from being NHL so if thats the case, Lilly is the better choice when you factor in potential. Lilly was very good as well and is about a year away from being NHL ready if he continues his current projection.

Reactions: 54thecup

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The upgrade we need is at Gardiner in the top 3. Hainsey has one more year and is 38 next year? Luckily Dermott is here. Lily means we can offer Gardiner in a package for a top 3 dman such as a Trouba.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The upgrade we need is at Gardiner in the top 3. Hainsey has one more year and is 38 next year? Luckily Dermott is here. Lily means we can offer Gardiner in a package for a top 3 dman such as a Trouba.

Gardiner in no way shape or form is in a package for Trouba. The Jets aren't dealing him unless he wants out but everything right now says he's fine there as long as he gets lots of minutes and plays the right side.

Liljegren also hasn't done anything at the NHL to make us believe he can do what Gardiner does. Is it reasonable to project that he some day might be able to? Sure.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

We haven't drained anything!!!! There is lots of depth. ???????

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
No way.

McAvoy came up at the end of his D+1 year and played over 20 minutes a night (in spectacular fashion) for the Bruins, including playoffs.

This year he's soaking up massive minutes with the Bruins, having great success.

Rooting for Liljegren but I don't see that development curve happening. He can definitely have success though.

Important to note that McAvoy's a late birthday that broke in at the tail of his U20 year and is full time in this his U21. I wouldn;t count on him being as good but Timmy getting a taste at the end of next year and being full time in the top 4 the year after shouldn't surprise anyone

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Important to note that McAvoy's a late birthday that broke in at the tail of his U20 year and is full time in this his U21. I wouldn;t count on him being as good but Timmy getting a taste at the end of next year and being full time in the top 4 the year after shouldn't surprise anyone

I'd be pleasantly surprised. Not rooting against him, but I have kind of assumed it'll be this year and next before I thought about Liljegren. Even Rielly was down in Jr for 1 year and he was a 5th overall pick, mind you, weak draft.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'd be pleasantly surprised. Not rooting against him, but I have kind of assumed it'll be this year and next before I thought about Liljegren. Even Rielly was down in Jr for 1 year and he was a 5th overall pick, mind you, weak draft.

That's what I'm saying, and fits with what Charlie did, he had played his last eligible WJC

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
just as the league has an abundance of forward stars under 22, the rules are changing for young D as well. McAvoy, Sergachev, Provorov, Werenski, Hedman, etc have been able to step in to the game and play top 4 minutes qute well. That why I have confidence in Dermott. He has the foot speed, grit and hockey sense to play in the NHL.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
My guess is they'll give Timmy a good look at training camp, but even then he likely starts the year in the Marlies and comes up around Christmas/New Year's, similar to Dermott.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
First off , I said a Trouba type. Secondly, we have winger depth with nothing at C and questions in goal ie Woll. IMHO Liljegren will act as a Gardiner calibre D one day. We are OK on D since Reilly, Z , Dermott and Borgman are all young. We need to upgrade our top 3 d and it is trade unless you wait for Liljegren, which I doubt we will do. Gardiner is the likely piece because he isn't what this team needs defensively to win a cup. For example Brown or Kapanen plus Gardiner gets you ?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: