Prospect Info: Timothy Liljegren - AHL Edition

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Liljegren had to turn and chase; while Dube was already skating forward and a stride on Liljegren. It is not that easy to do even for NHL D-man. I wouldn't wholly blame Liljegren; neutral zone turnover also had something to do with it

His mistake was allowing Dube to get inside on him. He has to keep his man to the outside there.

Solid game otherwise. All those PK's Sweden was on in the last 25 minutes took him out of the game though.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
His mistake was allowing Dube to get inside on him. He has to keep his man to the outside there.

Solid game otherwise. All those PK's Sweden was on in the last 25 minutes took him out of the game though.

Dube had a step on him; its not like both him and Dube started from the same spot on the ice. When Dube received the pass he already had position on Liljegren; if Lily had engaged before he would have been called for interference

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Dube had a step on him; its not like both him and Dube started from the same spot on the ice. When Dube received the pass he already had position on Liljegren; if Lily had engaged before he would have been called for interference

Dube had a step on him beside Lil gave him that lane to skate through. Liljegren still recovered and battled well (especially to not take a penalty) to nearly negate the chance still. And Dube had a great effort.

Just a positioning thing that he'll learn as he goes along

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He was fine tonight, wasn't perfect but you can't expect an 18-year-old defender to be.

Hopefully, this motivates him to have a very strong 2nd half with the Marlies. He showed great elusiveness and crisp passing.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lilly likely gets a little rest now, maybe a week before he plays for the Marlies again

Last edited:

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Kid had a rough night.

Lost his man in coverage that resulted in Canada's first goal then gave up the puck on the blue line that resulted in Canada's empty net (may have been a penality against Canada but I didn't get a good look)

I just hope he learned something and will take it back with him when he joins the Marlies

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kid had a rough night.

Lost his man in coverage that resulted in Canada's first goal then gave up the puck on the blue line that resulted in Canada's empty net (may have been a penality against Canada but I didn't get a good look)

I just hope he learned something and will take it back with him when he joins the Marlies
He got his stick either slashed out of his hand or broken. Can't really blame him on that one.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Kid had a rough night.

He got the stick slashed out of his hand, should have been penalty on Canada. In fact I noticed Canada got away with a lot of calls.

Reactions: biotk

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Jeez I thought Timmy played really well tonight outside of one costly mistake. He was moving the puck crisply and was skating well.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I thought he had a really solid tournament. He’s cleaned up his decision making since being drafted.. both offensively and defensively, which was his biggest hurdle to becoming an nhler.
Elite passing. Great shooting. Great speed. Good stick work defensively.
He needs to get stronger still, to help him fight for body position better. And to tighten up his skating, hes just a lil flaily still at times in transition.
I could see him joining the big club after the world juniors next year.. unless he goes on fire the rest of the year and has a huge offseason.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He had a really good final game, he needs to learn, less is more and he will be a good pro!

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Yeah that definitely should've been a slashing penalty on the zone entry by Liljegren with 1:30 left, probably would've been a hero for drawing it. That would've made for a crazy 6 on 4 power play for the Swedes, likely would score and have the game go to shootout IMO.

Dahlin's lazy defending on the empty net goal scorer was worse than Liljegren's defense on his GA, although I would've liked to see an attempt at a stick lift instead of just skating with the Canada player

Anyone else see Liljegren as a defense version of Nylander?

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Dahlin fanboys cried when I suggested Liljegren was an equal PP QB.. looks like Monten thinks he's better
Liljegren has a better shot from the point and what the team coaches were talking before the game was to shoot more.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
He got the stick slashed out of his hand, should have been penalty on Canada. In fact I noticed Canada got away with a lot of calls.
Refs handed them the game. Tons of times they were on the line, whether it be holding, slashing, interference...

I still liked what I see from Liljegren, and to some degree, the Swedish coaching staff. They killed off so many penalties, especially from a team with so much firepower.

Reactions: biotk

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I didn’t see the game (or any WJC game for that matter), but it sounds like this final game and the tournament as a whole was positive and a good learning experience for Liljegren.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hes missing strength and some physicality, which should come with time, the decision making needs cleaning up at times too but hes just a kid and needs more experience...the skating is great but can improve too, puck skills look good too and should improve as well...hes showing promise, didnt have an amazing tourney but was very good, imo he needs another year in the ahl next season and then should challenge for a spot after

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This coming off season, I'd like to see Rielly take Liljegren and Dermott under his wing and guide them through a first rate training program. Rielly's age, success and dedication to training and the team would, I think, be wonderful examples to these two young Dmen who have a chance at being important and long time players with the Leafs. I'm sure both would work hard on their own, but under the influence of Rielly, I think they'd find a new level of dedication and results. Liljegren especially, as he has that skating aspect which could make him special.
I'd be a bit surprised to see that happen. Rielly spends his summers in Vancouver. I'm sure Dermott could find (or already has) an elite group of guys to work with in Toronto. I would assume Liljegren goes back to Sweden for his, and I doubt he'd have trouble finding a workout crew there with elite NHLers. I mean, Dermott is buddies with McDavid, if he has the desire he could get time with either the biosteel or Roberts training group.

I'm sure Rielly setting the tone during the season, and the Leafs sports science division can point them in the right direction.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I think his only weak area is defending without the puck. Everything is not average or good - it's excellent. His passing and receiving the puck was fun to watch. Obviously, his skating and shot are well known as elite. Karlsson-lite in my books. And that's cool.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I think his only weak area is defending without the puck. Everything is not average or good - it's excellent. His passing and receiving the puck was fun to watch. Obviously, his skating and shot are well known as elite. Karlsson-lite in my books. And that's cool.
hes a good player ,don't forget he can play ,and dominate in this tournament next year ,I was a bit disappointed in dahlen more so .he made mistakes and wasn't nearly as noticeable as the games got better and tighter ,lil didn't play enuff in my books

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad