Prospect Info: Timothy Liljegren - AHL Edition

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Good tournament, showed some of his skills that other players simply don't possess. Lots of "junior" plays, long up passes that don't work very often in the NHL, but are quite effective at this level. I wouldn't say he was dominant, and the people with the #freetimmy mentality are in for a long wait. Seasoning and experience, tools are there, his head will determine if he becomes a top pair D man. I feel good projecting him to top 4, hard to say beyond that. Nice to have a high level prospect on D.

Reactions: Keon1963

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Good tournament, showed some of his skills that other players simply don't possess. Lots of "junior" plays, long up passes that don't work very often in the NHL, but are quite effective at this level. I wouldn't say he was dominant, and the people with the #freetimmy mentality are in for a long wait. Seasoning and experience, tools are there, his head will determine if he becomes a top pair D man. I feel good projecting him to top 4, hard to say beyond that. Nice to have a high level prospect on D.

People forget at times that he's still only 18 and eligible to play again for Sweden next year.

So raw and so much skill. How can you not be excited to have a prospect like that in this organization?

Sky is the limit for that kid. I see a lot of a future Jake Gardiner in him which might scare some but the skating and first pass can be similar only Liljegren likely has a few more tools in his toolbox then Jake did at that age.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
People forget at times that he's still only 18 and eligible to play again for Sweden next year.

So raw and so much skill. How can you not be excited to have a prospect like that in this organization?

Sky is the limit for that kid. I see a lot of a future Jake Gardiner in him which might scare some but the skating and first pass can be similar only Liljegren likely has a few more tools in his toolbox then Jake did at that age.
I don't forget that...also aware he missed a good portion of development time last year.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
If Dermott got a call up. You have to think Liljegren will get called up at some point.

They need to see him play, so that they can assess if he can fill in during the playoffs if needed due to injuries.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If Dermott got a call up. You have to think Liljegren will get called up at some point.

They need to see him play, so that they can assess if he can fill in during the playoffs if needed due to injuries.
They see him play and know he's not ready , it's only some of the fans that are dying to see our shiny new toy up with Leafs

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Dermott has played about one and a half season in AHL and is 21

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Liljegren looks just as good to me; perhaps a McAvoy development curve?

No way.

Liljegren came up at the end of his D+1 year and played over 20 minutes a night (in spectacular fashion) for the Bruins, including playoffs.

This year he's soaking up massive minutes with the Bruins, having great success.

Rooting for Liljegren but I don't see that development curve happening. He can definitely have success though.

Last edited:

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Dermott has played top pairing minutes for the Marlies for over a year and his coach called him the best young defender in the league at the end of last year.... he deserves his call up and Lilly will stew and mature on the Marlies (just like Dermott did) and may get a call up late next season.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Liljegren looks just as good to me; perhaps a McAvoy development curve?

probably not. Lily IMO is still not strong physically and has yet a lot of kinks in his game to be worked out. He also lost almost a year in development when he had mono.

Swedish coach wouldn't play him much during WJC so couldn't tell much plus haven't been watching marlies this year as much so not sure how good Lily is playing against men.

Even Babs didn't give Lily many games during pre-season so hard for me to put my finger on it.

Reactions: DarkKnight

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Your kidding me if someone here thinks his long up passes wont work at the NHL level.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Your kidding me if someone here thinks his long up passes wont work at the NHL level.
If you think these loose coverage junior passes will work on a routine basis in the NHL, then they joke is on you. Sure they work occasionally, but nothing like we saw at this tourney and that's just reality with WAY WAY better defensive coverage.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If you think these loose coverage junior passes will work on a routine basis in the NHL, then they joke is on you. Sure they work occasionally, but nothing like we saw at this tourney and that's just reality with WAY WAY better defensive coverage.
Yeah its too bad a lot of the d man in the NHL didnt get the memo.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Amazing that a fellow can be deemed not productive when he completes long passes in junior/AHL. Reality is Liljgren NHL success (as does any Dman) on how well he defends his own zone, in the NHL.

Reactions: stickty111

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Yeah its too bad a lot of the d man in the NHL didnt get the memo.
Gardiner and Reilly, both can do that pass all day long, and do when they get the chance, it isn't available very often. You don't see forwards blowing the zone in the NHL like junior hockey, the middle is clogged up. Anyways, it would be nice if we could discuss the kid without people getting defensive.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Gardiner and Reilly, both can do that pass all day long, and do when they get the chance, it isn't available very often. You don't see forwards blowing the zone in the NHL like junior hockey, the middle is clogged up. Anyways, it would be nice if we could discuss the kid without people getting defensive.
Yeah if they can do it, then so can Lilly.
Anyways, it would be nice if we can take an ojective view of the kid without people discrediting every little thing he does.
Yeah no one is getting defensive. Just because someone doesnt agree with your opinion, doesnt mean its defensive. Unless you think no one should disagree with your criticism, and directly tell you its not accurate?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
any decent "AAA" player can make a stretch pass, I could do it in peewee! lol I see goalies make a stretch pass. Stucky thinks its a gift, smh

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario

The kid has a laser of a pass. That's one thing I came away with, is his passing is on the tape and is a bullet, every time.

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
The one thing I feel with Liljegren is that he might be one of those guys who benefits with a bit of structure into the game. I haven't seen him this play this year with the Marlies (planning to go see in March) but by all accounts here he has acquitted himself well for an 18 y/o rookie in the AHL.

He's also played with a struggling Rogle side, and a Swedish U20 side that seemed to place him into a more role-specific place on the team. With the Marlies he can continue to learn the small-ice game, puck support and defending while developing in a lower pressure situation, all under the watchful eyes of the Leafs brass

Having the opportunity to develop at his own pace with the Marlies, IMO, is far much more of a positive than any other options at this point

Reactions: Wings4Life

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
And he went 9th overall to Dallas. Liljegren may yet be a top 3 dman. Once Kappanen and Gauthier grad that prospect pool will look a tad thin though

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00