This team needs a shakeup. What do you do?

What do you to this team after losing to the Kings when leading by 3 goals in the third period?

• Take the captaincy away from Boone Jenner

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Lol, the stuff of your dreams. Yeah I'm sure the next regime is going to make the long overdue move of getting rid of players who win battles and have good defensive results (and lead our team in goals). It's clearly why we keep having bad third periods and trading Jenner will help with that. A few more late 1st rounders would really be the ticket!
As far as roster management goes, it's been the same here for a long time. The FO only seems to focus on young high skill players.
Back when he was the coach, I went to a meet and greet party for Hitchcock and he spent a little time with a number of people there. I asked him what the team needs. He said what we need and what I'm going to keep trying to get our guys to get are glue guys. Guys who lead and make the team play solid hockey. They aren't flashy, but we can't win without an enough of them. Today that's a Jenner. We got rid of some in the last few years.

I didn't take it to mean he didn't want skill players. I took it to mean he wants them AND vets who win battles and push the team into the game.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
As far as roster management goes, it's been the same here for a long time. The FO only seems to focus on young high skill players.
Back when he was the coach, I went to a meet and greet party for Hitchcock and he spent a little time with a number of people there. I asked him what the team needs. He said what we need and what I'm going to keep trying to get our guys to get are glue guys. Guys who lead and make the team play solid hockey. They aren't flashy, but we can't win without an enough of them. Today that's a Jenner. We got rid of some in the last few years.

I didn't take it to mean he didn't want skill players. I took it to mean he wants them AND vets who win battles and push the team into the game.

In fairness to Scott Howson, he drafted for and trade for A LOT of heart and soul players. Glue guys too.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
At this point, it seems that the biggest mistake that has contributed to where the team stands now was the decision to hire Babcock. That blew up and suddenly Vincent is a first time NHL head coach with three days before the start of training camp. I believe Jarmo and JD should be held accountable for that at the end of the season. But for now the thing that we need is stability so that Vincent has a better chance to figure out what is going on around him. I tend to think that at the end of the season, Vincent, Jarmo and JD will all be gone,

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

The problem is that those players only get you to the playoffs. Mediocrity!!

But, the ultimate goal should be the Stanley Cup.

You need to score goals to wins games, and offensively skilled players score goals. It’s that simple!!

Or so I’ve been told.

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
Zach Werenski = I would trade him. I hate how he floats around and fumbles the puck.
*** Could land a star with a similar contract. ***

Patrik Laine = I would trade him. His mental illness struggles and confidence issues bleed into the team. Wonder if he can stay heathtly and show production if we can make a hockey trade next year?
*** If he gets back to PPG, he could be traded for a decent haul. ***

Sean Kuraly = Finish out the year and look to trade at the deadline. Too many penalties and mental mistakes.
*** We can get a Bag of pucks, just dump him ***

Emil Bemstrom = His time here is over IMO. He disappears at this level which is sad because I really like him. The kids got talent but can't put it together in CBJ. We have new prospects coming up who could take his spot.
*** Trade for a bag of pucks at this deadline or AHL bound or signs somewhere else ***

Jake Bean = Times up for him, sadly. Bottom 6 guy, if he's ok being a rotational player, I'm ok keeping him
*** Trade for a bag of pucks at this deadline, or he's AHL-bound or signs somewhere else ***

Andrew Peeke = Just doesn't have hockey IQ. He has so much heart but if we can get something i would trade.
*** Trade for a bag of pucks at this deadline or AHL bound or signs somewhere else ***

With the young roster we have and the prospects coming up soon, we have a lot to be excited about. We need to change culture, and I think Laine and Werenski are a big part of the problem. They both have the potential to land a haul if it works out well. Making a Jarmo hockey trade could be what we need to take that next step.

THOUGHTS???

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Zach Werenski = I would trade him. I hate how he floats around and fumbles the puck.

Patrik Laine = I would trade him. His mental illness struggles and confidence issues bleed into the team. Wonder if he can stay heathtly and show production if we can make a hockey trade next year?

Sean Kuraly = Finish out the year and look to trade at the deadline. Too many penalties and mental mistakes.

Emil Bemstrom = His time here is over IMO. He disappears at this level which is sad because I really like him. The kids got talent but can't put it together in CBJ. We have new prospects coming up who could take his spot.

Jake Bean = Times up for him, sadly. Bottom 6 guy, if he's ok being a rotational player, I'm ok keeping him
*** Trade for a bag of pucks at this deadline, or he's AHL-bound or signs somewhere else ***

Andrew Peeke = Just doesn't have hockey IQ. He has so much heart but if we can get something i would trade.

With the young roster we have and the prospects coming up soon, we have a lot to be excited about. We need to change culture, and I think Laine and Werenski are a big part of the problem. They both have the potential to land a haul if it works out well. Making a Jarmo hockey trade could be what we need to take that next step.

THOUGHTS???
Werenski isnt returning what you probably want. Hes someone we need to figure it out as much as we need to move him.

Laine is untradeable currently. He needs to stay healthy for an extended period and produce. Again more valuable to us and figuring things out than looking for a trade.

Bemstrom has been fine. The Johnson-Fantilli-Bemstrom line was good. Significantly better than Gaudreau-Fantilli-Danforth.

If you can trade Peeke and Bean for anything then sure, go for it.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023

THOUGHTS???
Werenski still has value for us, he's a face and still has leadership for the team. He's probably going notwhere but there is a very damn good chance he's going to be second fiddle to Mateychuck at the end of his contract. He's fine for now.

Laine has zero value right now unless we hold 50% of his contract. He wanted to be a more complete player but he just needs to realize he's a 3rd line player with a generational shot and a PP merchant (when properly used). Our team isn't really build around that. We just need to re-up his value and he can still bring a TDL haul next year or he can help us out here in the next year or two as we try to take the next step. We already have replacements sitting in the wings for him with Brindley and co but not a replacement to his shot.

Kuraly isn't long for this team...we already have a younger replacement for him on the team...Sillinger. Silly has turned into quite the PKer and while his offensive numbers are can be better he's a much more leveled headed Kuraly.

Bemstrom is cooked. He's just a body here and will probably be cut lose. Nobody wanted him on waivers is pretty damning and probably go back to europe if he can't get a decent offer here.

Bean will be TDL fodder. You have Svozil pretty much ready to go as he's probably a long term 3LHD for this team. The problem is you don't wanna push him out of the monsters just yet because they are having quite a monster year so far and has Calder aspirations. If needed we can get someone to play their offside.

Peeke I really thought someone would take him and I still think there's TDL value for him but really he's heading to a buyout. Cuelemans is starting to look like he's finally figuring it out and probably would be a longer term 2/3RHD here. I think the real question is what to do with Boqvist but I think Jarmo answered that last summer as its starting to look like our future RHDs are Jiricek, Severson and Cuelemans. Personally I am still not sold on Cuelemans as I think he has Roslovic syndrome. Great player not going much on between the ears.

Also we are starting to look to have some viable replacements coming soon:

LDBB is looking to be a competent 2C-high 3C but he needs to be less of a glass cannon.

Brindley is going to be the people's champion when he arrives and it might be sooner than we realize. Yes he's small and needs some time in the AHL but when Laine's contract is up this is the guy who is likely to replace him. Not only can he PK but he's Danforth who can finish. He's going to be a F*****ing nightmare for the opponents to play against and he can score. It might not happen because the line would be too undersized but a line of Johnny-Fantilli-Brindley would be a sight to behold...or better yet the Michigan line of Johnson-Fantilli-Brindley. Most likely he's a second line RW. Of all of our prospects he's my number 2 next to Mateychuck right now.

And then the biggest wildcard of them all Dumias. He's either gonna be a superstar RW or the next Bemstrom. There is gonna be no inbetween with this kid.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You have Svozil pretty much ready to go as he's probably a long term 3LHD for this team.

Cuelemans is starting to look like he's finally figuring it out and probably would be a longer term 2/3RHD here.

What are these comments based on? Your personal viewings of the AHL? That would be fine, FWIW no one has posted any observations on them here.

Svozil looked understrength in camp. If he's getting stronger though, I don't see much stopping him.

I don't think Ceulemans ever even makes the team. You think he's looked better lately?

he's Danforth who can finish.

Danforth shoots at a high percentage. Maybe Brindley will shoot more? Have better vision?

And then the biggest wildcard of them all Dumias. He's either gonna be a superstar RW or the next Bemstrom. There is gonna be no inbetween with this kid.

I think he can be in between those. He won't be a checker but he might end up being a 40-55 pt winger. I'm hoping for more.

Reactions: Indy18

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
What are these comments based on? Your personal viewings of the AHL? That would be fine, FWIW no one has posted any observations on them here.
Yeah I been having to go back and forth to cleveland alot lately for work so I been stopping by when I can since I am already downtown. Personally I am not sold at all on Ceulemans but he's been doing better what i've seen of him.

Then again I just looked up his score sheet and it seems like he's been healthy scratched pretty much every time I am not there. I don't know he seemed to be doing alright in my eyes. Here I go to bat for the kid and it seems like hes running hot and cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

THOUGHTS???
Werenski still has value for us, he's a face and still has leadership for the team. He's probably going notwhere but there is a very damn good chance he's going to be second fiddle to Mateychuck at the end of his contract. He's fine for now.

Laine has zero value right now unless we hold 50% of his contract. He wanted to be a more complete player but he just needs to realize he's a 3rd line player with a generational shot and a PP merchant (when properly used). Our team isn't really build around that. We just need to re-up his value and he can still bring a TDL haul next year or he can help us out here in the next year or two as we try to take the next step. We already have replacements sitting in the wings for him with Brindley and co but not a replacement to his shot.

Kuraly isn't long for this team...we already have a younger replacement for him on the team...Sillinger. Silly has turned into quite the PKer and while his offensive numbers are can be better he's a much more leveled headed Kuraly.

Bemstrom is cooked. He's just a body here and will probably be cut lose. Nobody wanted him on waivers is pretty damning and probably go back to europe if he can't get a decent offer here.

Bean will be TDL fodder. You have Svozil pretty much ready to go as he's probably a long term 3LHD for this team. The problem is you don't wanna push him out of the monsters just yet because they are having quite a monster year so far and has Calder aspirations. If needed we can get someone to play their offside.

Peeke I really thought someone would take him and I still think there's TDL value for him but really he's heading to a buyout. Cuelemans is starting to look like he's finally figuring it out and probably would be a longer term 2/3RHD here. I think the real question is what to do with Boqvist but I think Jarmo answered that last summer as its starting to look like our future RHDs are Jiricek, Severson and Cuelemans. Personally I am still not sold on Cuelemans as I think he has Roslovic syndrome. Great player not going much on between the ears.

Also we are starting to look to have some viable replacements coming soon:

LDBB is looking to be a competent 2C-high 3C but he needs to be less of a glass cannon.

Brindley is going to be the people's champion when he arrives and it might be sooner than we realize. Yes he's small and needs some time in the AHL but when Laine's contract is up this is the guy who is likely to replace him. Not only can he PK but he's Danforth who can finish. He's going to be a F*****ing nightmare for the opponents to play against and he can score. It might not happen because the line would be too undersized but a line of Johnny-Fantilli-Brindley would be a sight to behold...or better yet the Michigan line of Johnson-Fantilli-Brindley. Most likely he's a second line RW. Of all of our prospects he's my number 2 next to Mateychuck right now.

Gaudreau
Laine
Werenski
Severson
Gudbranson
Peeke
Boqvist
Elvis

I think we need to come to terms with a depressing possibility that some of these veterans will never "figure it out" again, meaning they would begin play consistently at the level they're paid for to play. For the foreseeable future, we will likely be "stuck" with some of those who have negative trade value, thanks to the decisions made by current front office.

I'm not sure if it's a realistic ask from the next management, but I'd like to see at least Laine, Boqvist, Gudbranson and maybe one of Werenski/Severson moved within the next two years.

If it seems like the team isn't going to be improved much in that time span, they need to make a decision regarding Jenner -- whether to keep him or try to trade him to a contender for prospects/picks and another "glue" guy.

Young pending RFA forwards: Texier, Sillinger, Johnson, Chinakhov, Marchenko -- since it's not realistic to expect all of them be part of a successful long-term future for the team, new management need to decide which of them will be assets going forward (trade in the offseason or sign to bridge deals) and which will be their future cornerstones (sign to long-term deals). As of today, I only see Marchenko and Texier deserving of a 4+ year extension.

Regarding the upside of Mateychuk, Svozil and Ceulemans, they all could become future NHLers but none of them are NHL-ready yet. Last time I checked Mateychuk's shooting, stickhandling and defensive awareness didn't look super impressive, and neither did Svozil's conditioning, quickness and strength nor Ceulemans's decision-making. Like many here, I'm higher on Mateychuk and Svozil but it could be best for both to spend next season mainly in the AHL with Haviland if their flaws are still very visible in preseason action. I don't think we'll get legit Werenski/Provorov replacements from either of the two by rushing them.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The Jackets have always been afraid to do a total rebuild. My guess is they think no fans would show up if the broke it down.
But IMO now may be the time. I know it was nearly impossible to pass on Johnny Hockey but that is example #1 of where we were being opportunistic and not strategic. Blow up the front office, blow up the veteran roster.
I'm not saying trade the kids, but I am ok with moving Johnny, Laine, jenner, Elvis, etc. I still like Zach but like Jenner we have to figure out what they can return vs what value they hold. As important if we do a rebuild would those guys want to be here?
Assemble a team that plays the way the front office and coaching staff wants.
Honestly to me we've only had an identity with strong coaches - Hitch, Torts, etc. So we can't keep trying out head coaches. Doesn't mean the new guy has to be a grizzled vet but needs to be someone that believes in a certain style of hockey. That should also be in line with what the front office wants as well. That was one of the biggest mistakes this franchise ever made was seliing Hitchcock hockey, then turning on him when the lack of leadership in the room (Nash notably) wouldn't support Hitch over a few snot nosed young players who wanted to open up the offense.

Bus - I know what you are saying that you can't win with grit. But there has been examples of teams that were not as talented winning the cup. Whether that is a red hot goalie (and yes that was more of a thing 10+ years ago) or just guys buying into a system.
There will be plenty of opportunities to add skill if the team is competitive and if you have salary cap room. But it makes little sense to add skill to a team that is not commited to playing the right way.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Don't know if I'd consider Laine and Gaudreau as flatliners, but definitely not leadership material.

Werenski. Flatliner extraordinaire. As was Seth Jones. Both from the RJ Umberger School of Zero Personality. Boone doesn't exactly come across to me as a leader. Certainly not one with fire. Perhaps by example. I've always viewed him as a "leader" by default because there isn't anyone else available.

Kuraly does have some fire and personality, but not much on the ability standpoint. I have no idea if his personality resonates well in the "room".

Foligno had fire and was a leader. Dubinsky had fire. Of note, Jarmo didn't acquire either. I think it's very telling that Jarmo hired Babcock-I'm going on a personality level on this one. Babcock is one weird dude. An odd personality type to say the least.

I think the lack of good leadership abilities on this team (of the veterans) might be because the GM himself ain't got much in the personality department. I've never found Davidson to be very engaging for that matter either. I look at him as a skilled salesman with a carefully crafted public persona.
Team has no Alphas as far as Veterans ..Fantilli will be , but I agree JG , Laine, Werenski , all flat as could be . Jarmo is a good scout/ horrible architect .

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If it seems like the team isn't going to be improved much in that time span, they need to make a decision regarding Jenner -- whether to keep him or try to trade him to a contender for prospects/picks and another "glue" guy.
At his cap hit and age I think we keep him for the next 2 seasons and make a decision at the TDL in 2025. If, however a too good to pass deal is proposed I'd take it.
Young pending RFA forwards: Texier, Sillinger, Johnson, Chinakhov, Marchenko -- since it's not realistic to expect all of them be part of a successful long-term future for the team, new management need to decide which of them will be assets going forward (trade in the offseason or sign to bridge deals) and which will be their future cornerstones (sign to long-term deals). As of today, I only see Marchenko and Texier deserving of a 4+ year extension.
Agree on Marchenko. Johnson & Chinakov are still in the prove it stage for 4+ years but definitely worth keeping. If either or both explode in 2nd half i'd change my thinking and go longer term.
Tex meh.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Gaudreau
Laine
Werenski
Severson
Gudbranson
Peeke
Boqvist
Elvis

I think we need to come to terms with a depressing possibility that some of these veterans will never "figure it out" again, meaning they would begin play consistently at the level they're paid for to play. For the foreseeable future, we will likely be "stuck" with some of those who have negative trade value, thanks to the decisions made by current front office.

I'm not sure if it's a realistic ask from the next management, but I'd like to see at least Laine, Boqvist, Gudbranson and maybe one of Werenski/Severson moved within the next two years.

Regarding the upside of Mateychuk, Svozil and Ceulemans, they all could become future NHLers but none of them are NHL-ready yet. Last time I checked Mateychuk's shooting, stickhandling and defensive awareness didn't look super impressive, and neither did Svozil's conditioning, quickness and strength nor Ceulemans's decision-making. Like many here, I'm higher on Mateychuk and Svozil but it could be best for both to spend next season mainly in the AHL with Haviland if their flaws are still very visible in preseason action. I don't think we'll get legit Werenski/Provorov replacements from either of the two by rushing them.
Interesting you’d keep Texier, who has done absolutely nothing this year, over Johnson or Chinakhov. Why?

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Interesting you’d keep Texier, who has done absolutely nothing this year, over Johnson or Chinakhov. Why?
$$$ reasons.

24-year old, reliable and versatile two-way forward scoring at 0.3 rate could be signed easily for 4 years for less than 3M$ per year.

Two former 1st round picks, 21 and 23-year old, lightly built and not-so-versatile forwards scoring barely above 0.5PPG would probably sign 4+ year extensions with AAV somewhere between 4 and 7 million. There's much more risk involved with locking up these type of young forwards. I'd rather offer them shorter deals or trade them in the offseason unless they improve dramatically in the final 50 games.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
$$$ reasons.

24-year old, reliable and versatile two-way forward scoring at 0.3 rate could be signed easily for 4 years for less than 3M$ per year.

Two former 1st round picks, 21 and 23-year old, lightly built and not-so-versatile forwards scoring barely above 0.5PPG would probably sign 4+ year extensions with AAV somewhere between 4 and 7 million. There's much more risk involved with locking up these type of young forwards. I'd rather offer them shorter deals or trade them in the offseason unless they improve dramatically in the final 50 games.
Chinakhov has 20lbs on the apparently not lightly built Texier

Those 2 have also both improved dramatically over the last 5 or so games. Significantly better than Tex who has been disappointing for a decent portion of this season after coming out absolutely flying to start the year

Reactions: KJ Dangler

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Chinakhov has 20lbs on the apparently not lightly built Texier

Those 2 have also both improved dramatically over the last 5 or so games. Significantly better than Tex who has been disappointing for a decent portion of this season after coming out absolutely flying to start the year
It doesn't really matter as long as he's playing like a lightly built forward. Chinakhov has more to prove in his defensive game.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It doesn't really matter as long as he's playing like a lightly built forward. Chinakhov has more to prove in his defensive game.
Chinakhov has been proving a lot lately and playing on our only well functioning line. Hes not a high end power forward or anything (not many in the league to begin with) but he also is shy of playing in harder area's. I think many players have something to prove defensively but the stupid system we play isnt helping anyone. Atleast Chinakhov and Marchenko for that matter have shown huge growth over last year at hanging onto pucks and making plays. I understand thats not defense but they are better at keeping pucks in the other zone which is about the best defense there is

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Chinakhov has been proving a lot lately and playing on our only well functioning line. Hes not a high end power forward or anything (not many in the league to begin with) but he also is shy of playing in harder area's. I think many players have something to prove defensively but the stupid system we play isnt helping anyone. Atleast Chinakhov and Marchenko for that matter have shown huge growth over last year at hanging onto pucks and making plays. I understand thats not defense but they are better at keeping pucks in the other zone which is about the best defense there is
Marchenko's small area skills (stickhandling, stick lifts, poke checks, puck protection) are superior to Chinakhov's, which makes him not only a better defensive player in the defensive end but also a stronger offensive zone player. Compared to Marchenko, Chinakhov lacks strength and engagement in puck battles, and quickness, range and consistency in puckhandling. He's improved from last year but not dramatically, or so significantly that he should be regarded as valuable as Marchenko is.

I like Chinakhov and Johnson (who might be the most overrated player in the org among CBJ fans), but I'd need to see more consistency and versatility from them before putting in the same category as Marchenko. Just because you got your name on the scoreboard a few times in the last 5 games doesn't necessarily mean you've progressed massively as a player.

Reactions: Indy18

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Marchenko's small area skills (stickhandling, stick lifts, poke checks, puck protection) are superior to Chinakhov's, which makes him not only a better defensive player in the defensive end but also a stronger offensive zone player. Compared to Marchenko, Chinakhov lacks strength and engagement in puck battles, and quickness, range and consistency in puckhandling. He's improved from last year but not dramatically, or so significantly that he should be regarded as valuable as Marchenko is.

I like Chinakhov and Johnson (who might be the most overrated player in the org among CBJ fans), but I'd need to see more consistency and versatility from them before putting in the same category as Marchenko. Just because you got your name on the scoreboard a few times in the last 5 games doesn't necessarily mean you've progressed massively as a player.
Johnson is in year 2, Id be shocked if you got the consistency you are looking for. Obviously you are taking a small amount of risk going long term but Id easily take it on Johnson.

Marchenko didnt really display much of what hes showing this year last year either. Almost like I wouldnt rush to move on from guys, especially in these dysfunctional seasons. If you can make a major trade and they want Chinakhov part of it? Sure. But to just shipping kids out because you dont think we need them longterm is not a great gameplan. Especially Chinakhov who wont cost a lot and who is easily top 9 caliber. Hell we are finally seeing him used on a PP.

Id sooner see coaching/philosophy change than just shipping out kids for the sake of it

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
There's a lot to do...
1. New President (who will hire)
2. New GM (who will hire)
3. New Head Coach (who will hire)
4. New coaching staff

Before we can...
5. Fix the goals against
6. Fix the power play %
7. Compete for the 2nd round of the playoffs again

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I can’t even take anyone serious when you look at all the problems this team current has , and have identified Chinakov as a piece we should possibly move .

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think a new regime needs to establish an identity for the franchise. Come out and say “We believe the path to the Cup is A, B, and C. We want to be known for X.” Then follow through. Make sure the GM and coach are on the same page. Draft guys who fit what you want to build. I think you can trade a beloved veteran if it is consistent with what you are saying. I think you can tear it down if you need to if you straight with the fan base.

Jarmo never seems to want to disclose anything. Including what he is trying to build. I agree with @JacketsDavid that coaches have defined the culture. I don’t know why there isn’t an all encompassing philosophy that the team emphasizes. Not something worthless like “hardest working team in hockey”. I mean something like “a solidly defense oriented team with quick strike capabilities that will turn the other team’s mistakes into scoring opportunities” or “a hard forechecking team that moves the puck up the ice quickly and keeps it in their opponent’s zone.”

It would be nice to evaluate drafts, trades, roster moves, etc. with an understanding of the overall objective.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Especially Chinakhov who wont cost a lot and who is easily top 9 caliber.
Let's suppose he scores 40 points in the final 50, and finishes the season with 32-20-52 in 71 games. He and his agent wants a 4-6 year extension. What would be a realistic AAV in that scenario?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad