This team needs a shakeup. What do you do?

What do you to this team after losing to the Kings when leading by 3 goals in the third period?

• Take the captaincy away from Boone Jenner

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This team just had yet another major collapse in the third period. They’re also the worst team in the East by points percentage. There needs to be a major shock to the system. How would you send a message that you find this unacceptable? You could fire the coach or the GM, you could strip the captain of his captaincy, or you trade someone away. What would you do?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
We have so many points because of 9 losses in a row. Since then we have 9 points in 8 games and 4 each against Boston and the Devils. We have Russian line, Johnny has started to show his play, Laine is having flashes, I think he'll be back just fine. Why ruin everything right away? We can think about that later. On the other hand, I would think about PP and its creator. How long did it take to use Boqvist on the first PP? We lost a lot of points because of it.

The Four Seven

You encountered Negative Man!
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
Jarmo is the one who's assembled this sorry crew to begin with, the one who refuses to make a trade he doesn't "win" and the one signing plugs like Peeke and Gudbranson to stupid contracts. It starts with him, and probably JD as well.

Not to say PV has any slack. If I had it my way he'd be gone too. Whatever he's doing isn't cutting it in the NHL.

Reactions: Toe Pick and Napoli

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Fire Jarmo AND JD today.
Fire HC after season. Strip Jenner of his never deserved captaincy, after season.

Don’t bother making deadline moves unless it’s expiring NHL players for futures.

Blow it fully up once season is over. With new GM and HC.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Fire Jarmo AND JD today.
Fire HC after season. Strip Jenner of his never deserved captaincy, after season.

Don’t bother making deadline moves unless it’s expiring NHL players for futures.

Blow it fully up once season is over. With new GM and HC.
Trade Boone :sarcasm:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Jenner is far from the problem…

you can say boone's not the problem all you want, but he's definitely a big part of it:
  • they're blowing leads in the third, when he and kuraly are the only two centers out there
    • this also means less meaningful ice time for the young guys
  • the veterans aren't showing up. jenner is the captain and runs the room
  • gaudreau is scoring at half his normal rate. jenner is his center.
  • they often lose in overtime before touching the puck – he's the guy out there for the face-off
  • the power play is unwatchable, and PP2 has outperformed PP1. boone is a staple on PP1
boone is the type of player that a contending team would love to have, because a contending team could use him as a high-effort complimentary piece and good veteran in the room. the blue jackets are leaning on him to be a 20+ minutes, all-situations 1C, star player, and captain.

that's been his role for the last two-plus seasons. they're 70-100-20 over that span, and getting worse. i like him as a player and a person, but it is abundantly clear that the role is too big for him.

as far as the poll is concerned, i don't think firing jarmo/JD will have any impact in the room, and i think stripping jenner's C is unfair to the player. but trading jenner is absolutely the correct course of action if they want to shake things up, and there are some clear silver linings to doing so. tons of assets, more ice time (special teams, late-game, overtime) for their young centers, etc.

plus it would give him a few real swings at a cup before his back gives out.

Reactions: Toe Pick

The Four Seven

You encountered Negative Man!
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
you can say boone's not the problem all you want, but he's definitely a big part of it
This is unhinged. Did you get into the medicine cabinet or something?

boone is the type of player that a contending team would love to have, because a contending team could use him as a high-effort complimentary piece and good veteran in the room. the blue jackets are leaning on him to be a 20+ minutes, all-situations 1C, star player, and captain.

that's been his role for the last two-plus seasons. they're 70-100-20 over that span, and getting worse. i like him as a player and a person, but it is abundantly clear that the role is too big for him.
So... the team being rancid ass and the organization expecting those things is on Boone?????? Because he's the only guy who's going out there and playing his game correctly??? Make it make sense.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
you can say boone's not the problem all you want, but he's definitely a big part of it:
  • they're blowing leads in the third, when he and kuraly are the only two centers out there
    • this also means less meaningful ice time for the young guys
  • the veterans aren't showing up. jenner is the captain and runs the room
  • gaudreau is scoring at half his normal rate. jenner is his center.
  • they often lose in overtime before touching the puck – he's the guy out there for the face-off
  • the power play is unwatchable, and PP2 has outperformed PP1. boone is a staple on PP1

as far as the poll is concerned, i don't think firing jarmo/JD will have any impact in the room, and i think stripping jenner's C is unfair to the player. but trading jenner is absolutely the correct course of action if they want to shake things up, and there are some clear silver linings to doing so. tons of assets, more ice time (special teams, late-game, overtime) for their young centers, etc.

plus it would give him a few real swings at a cup before his back gives out.

You're obsessed with trading Boone lol. Gotta get that late 1st rounder satisfaction.

I know a team that needs Boone more than any other, it's the Blue Jackets! If we had a spare late 1st we ought to trade it for another Boone so we can have more solid veterans who play the right way. We have very few.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
O.K. my questions to Boone's trade.
  1. Who would be the first center? It is nice Adam has potential to be a franchise center but we must develop him gradually. And I doubt we would get TOP 6 center.
  2. Whou would be a captain? Can be really one of Werenski/Kuraly/Gudbranson be him?
  3. Boone is not a first line center. But his play helps Johnny. Look how his line with Danforth looked. The lines have to be balanced, the players have to have chemistry. Example. Tex is better player than Olivier. But Fantilli's line with Johnson played better with Mathieu. So who would change him with Gaudreau? Do you think Sillinger (similar type of player) is ready?
  4. What would we get for Boone? Even if we added someone to him.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
So... the team being rancid ass and the organization expecting those things is on Boone?????? Because he's the only guy who's going out there and playing his game correctly??? Make it make sense.
kent johnson was their top forward tonight by game score and only got 8 minutes. adam fantilli was their second best forward by game score tonight and got 10 minutes. boone jenner got more TOI than both of them combined while both of those kids watched from the bench as the jenner-led jackets blew a 3-goal lead.

having boone jenner on the roster isn't a problem. giving him sidney crosby level usage is. vincent, like larsen before him, is leaning on jenner like a crutch, to his own detriment. plenty of other guys are "playing their game correctly" but pazzy will always go back to jenner even when he's not.

the team is going nowhere this year. if you're giving jenner heavy minutes in the third every night, and blowing leads in the third period every night, what function does jenner have on the roster besides siphoning ice time from the younger guys?

they've only won 36% of their games since he's been captain. fans and media any other market would be calling for his letter. fans here are acting like criticizing the captain of a team that habitually blows leads and has disappearing veterans is somehow off-limits.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
You're obsessed with trading Boone lol. Gotta get that late 1st rounder satisfaction.
would easily get them multiple firsts. could flip those firsts for other players or to offload a negative-value contract. the bigger windfall, at this point, would be giving their young guys actual meaningful special teams ice time and late-game experience.
I know a team that needs Boone more than any other, it's the Blue Jackets!
they are 70-100-20 since he was named captain, and have gotten worse all three years despite the roster, on paper, getting significantly better.

if boone jenner was moving the needle at all for the blue jackets, that would absolutely not be their record.
If we had a spare late 1st we ought to trade it for another Boone so we can have more solid veterans who play the right way. We have very few.
sean kuraly had twice as much ice time tonight as kent johnson. boone jenner had twice as much ice time as adam fantilli.

the "solid veterans who play the right way" are the ones blowing lead after lead after lead, not the young guys or the skill guys.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Who would be the first center? It is nice Adam has potential to be a franchise center but we must develop him gradually. And I doubt we would get TOP 6 center.
boone jenner isn't even a first line center, but it's not like they're completely devoid of centers if they were to trade him. fantilli, voronkov and sillinger could all use more ice time. fantilli should get some run with gaudreau. kent johnson should get a proper trial in the middle.

failing that, there's always roslovic as a temporary option, then they could pool assets to trade for a more suitable 1C type, or find one in the draft (celebrini, lindstrom, helenius).
Whou would be a captain? Can be really one of Werenski/Kuraly/Gudbranson be him?
no captain until fantilli is ready.
Boone is not a first line center. But his play helps Johnny.
johnny is having a career-worst year playing exclusively with jenner right now. their game very clearly does not mesh very well.
Look how his line with Danforth looked.
jenner and danforth together would make a really fun third line. you cannot build a playoff team with those two on your first line.
The lines have to be balanced, the players have to have chemistry. Example. Tex is better player than Olivier. But Fantilli's line with Johnson played better with Mathieu.
they played eight minutes together tonight, and olivier whiffed on a puck that trickled into the net. i'd say, with a high amount of confidence, that johnny gaudreau would be a better fit with adam fantilli than mathieu olivier is, despite what impression you may have gotten from those 8 minutes tonight.
So who would change him with Gaudreau? Do you think Sillinger (similar type of player) is ready?
sillinger has been steadily improving this season. i thought he was their best player against montreal the other night.

the idea with sillinger is that he can eventually be a similar player to jenner. is he ever going to become that without any power play time? or without playing late in games to defend a lead? because as long as jenner's here, cole is not going to get those opportunities.
What would we get for Boone? Even if we added someone to him.
he'd be the most sought-after deadline piece for cap-strapped contenders. if cbj took back equal salary you'd be looking at multiple firsts easily. which could be flipped in the summer to add a star or to move up in the draft to pick a potential superstar.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
kent johnson was their top forward tonight by game score and only got 8 minutes. adam fantilli was their second best forward by game score tonight and got 10 minutes. boone jenner got more TOI than both of them combined while both of those kids watched from the bench as the jenner-led jackets blew a 3-goal lead.

having boone jenner on the roster isn't a problem. giving him sidney crosby level usage is. vincent, like larsen before him, is leaning on jenner like a crutch, to his own detriment. plenty of other guys are "playing their game correctly" but pazzy will always go back to jenner even when he's not.

the team is going nowhere this year. if you're giving jenner heavy minutes in the third every night, and blowing leads in the third period every night, what function does jenner have on the roster besides siphoning ice time from the younger guys?

they've only won 36% of their games since he's been captain. fans and media any other market would be calling for his letter. fans here are acting like criticizing the captain of a team that habitually blows leads and has disappearing veterans is somehow off-limits.
  • Are you seriously telling me that Kent was better than Marchenko or Danforth?
  • Do you think the Sillinger-Voronkov-Fantilli-Kuraly line would have been capable of winning? Or do we want to end up like Buffalo/Edmonton/Arizona, loaded with youngsters and no one knows what to do with them? Yes I'm not saying we need to sign someone like Lindholm, but Boone is a good solution until Adam gets experience.
  • Boone is to blame for the two seasons in a row we've had an inexperienced coach and a load of injuries? Or the situation before this season, so Vincent was in a bad position to begin with?
  • Boone is to blame for Laine having a concussion and since he looks like another player? Or Johnny's bad play in the part of the season?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Rboone jenner isn't even a first line center, but it's not like they're completely devoid of centers if they were to trade him. fantilli, voronkov and sillinger could all use more ice time. fantilli should get some run with gaudreau. kent johnson should get a proper trial in the middle.

failing that, there's always roslovic as a temporary option, then they could pool assets to trade for a more suitable 1C type, or find one in the draft (celebrini, lindstrom, helenius).

no captain until fantilli is ready.

johnny is having a career-worst year playing exclusively with jenner right now. their game very clearly does not mesh very well.

jenner and danforth together would make a really fun third line. you cannot build a playoff team with those two on your first line.

they played eight minutes together tonight, and olivier whiffed on a puck that trickled into the net. i'd say, with a high amount of confidence, that johnny gaudreau would be a better fit with adam fantilli than mathieu olivier is, despite what impression you may have gotten from those 8 minutes tonight.

sillinger has been steadily improving this season. i thought he was their best player against montreal the other night.

the idea with sillinger is that he can eventually be a similar player to jenner. is he ever going to become that without any power play time? or without playing late in games to defend a lead? because as long as jenner's here, cole is not going to get those opportunities.

he'd be the most sought-after deadline piece for cap-strapped contenders. if cbj took back equal salary you'd be looking at multiple firsts easily. which could be flipped in the summer to add a star or to move up in the draft to pick a potential superstar.
  • Sillinger was the best player... playing on the third line when most of the pressure was on the other lines.
  • Once again, we need to develop Fantilli gradually. See Anaheim and Carlsson.
  • There were a lot of injuries last season, the defense was often AHL level. And again, you forgot the coach.
  • I don't mean Olivier's goal, but the play of the whole line, when Mathieu was such a tank in the line, winning battles at the boards, playing well without the puck, in front of the net. He was actually clearing the ice for them.
  • The first line center is meant to be the first line center, not the quality first line center.
  • Roslovic is not a center.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
fire jarmo. hire new gm. trade laine. let pascal finish the season out. fire him. onto next season. it’s that simple.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My shakeup plan is to acquire an additional Boone Jenner to spread the load more.

No this is not a trolly response to the above comments. :laugh:

I genuinely think we're still in a blind leading the blind situation and need more solid vets.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Fire Jarmo, Priest, and JD

Full gut.

There's probably not an NHL franchise in existence that has been more dysfunctional than this one.

Almost every franchise that you see has done multiple rebuilds and this club is still at step 1.

If I could fire ownership too, I would, they clearly have no idea who the right people are to hire.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Why ruin everything right away?

We are in last place in the Eastern Conference. Last night we blew a three goal lead in the 3rd period and NOT A SINGLE JACKETS FAN IS SURPRISED that we blew a three goal lead. That is where we are. What is there to ruin?

My first choice is fire Jarmo and/or JD. They are responsible for building a team that was obviously not built to hold leads. Also, if you fire the coach, that would be the third coach fired in a year, which just points to how bad the front office is.

I don’t trust the team to make a trade right now. I would want a new GM to come in before we do anything major.

Stripping Boone of the Captaincy might shock the room. You order Jarmo to do it, knowing he will be fired after this season. Then you hope the team comes together because they are pissed off that Boone lost his captaincy. One theory of coaching is unite the team against a common opponent — some coaches who are really hard on their players have said things like if everyone is too busy hating the coach, they don’t have time to hate each other and the team unites.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
We are between a rock and a hard place.

Stick with the rebuild and add to the team more solid players/vets or admit we have the wrong core and blow it up. Neither of these are particularly good options.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
trading away Boone with his contract isn't the smartest thing to do lol 3.7
this year doesn't mean anything blowing leads is going to happen when a team is learning how to play. the jump from last year is huge and all we can do is hope the jump next year is half as big. Jarmo has done a fantastic job and I'm excited to see how he does this offseason

Reactions: Marioesque

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
J.D , J.K. and P.L.....nobody reinserted that is here in the building.

Jenner isn't my ideal captain (is an ideal player) but takes nearly zero % of the blame here. He isnt flamboyant like Nick was and how I like my captains but he also is far from a bum. Someone will come looking for him to aid them in a SC run and maybe we pull the trigger to make room for Adam to sew on the C. That time isn't here yet and I dont advocate doing it prematurely.

Fish is absolutely rotting from the head.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad