Post-Game Talk: This Is Not The Day I Die - Jets 4 Blues 0

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
It's about time people lay off Buff , he gets way too much crap on here . Although i like Trouba , it just seems to me some games he isn't all in , by that i mean he would rather be on another team . But that could just be me not letting go of the fact he wanted out of here . When you see guys signing team friendly deals , Sheif , Ehlers , Buff , yes Buff , he could have got a 8 year deal if he went to free agency , it just rubs me the wrong way that Trouba held out to try and get out .

Its hard to take your criticism of Trouba seriously about taking some games off, when you defend Buff in the same sentence

Reactions: Flair Hay

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
Someone in the GDT brought up the fact that Trouba is gifted PP time despite it not being warranted based on his overall play (a pre signing goodwill gesture) would rather see Morrissey or Kulikov in his place on the PP.

Yeah that was me, personally I feel like Trouba has lost a step this year. Guy used to glide effortlessly around the ice (especially in his rookie campaign) but forecheckers are catching up to him frequently this year and it’s exposing his average at best puck handling skills. Dont know what his problem is but it’s leading to very poor play in his own end with the puck, good thing he has Morrissey who is always 3 steps ahead of everyone on the ice to make life easier for him on the breakout. Trouba simply needs to get back into shape with his skating and he won’t have to handle the puck under duress as much which is good for the whole team considering he handles it like a grenade ( even quarterbacking the PP last night he didn’t look comfortable with it)

Reactions: Jets 31

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Not sure if it has been said or not but really classy move by the Jets for showing Thorbs the respect he deserved.

Is there any doubt they would have?
Thorbs, Sniper, Nose whatever name you choose was True North through and through. A loyal glue guy with deep roots in our community.
He deserved a big ovation.

I loved his interview prior to the Sunday game where he talked about getting in a big bump on Benny (Chiarot) on Saturday. For a second I thought he meant this guy.

th

Reactions: sipowicz

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Yeah that was me, personally I feel like Trouba has lost a step this year. Guy used to glide effortlessly around the ice (especially in his rookie campaign) but forecheckers are catching up to him frequently this year and it’s exposing his average at best puck handling skills. Dont know what his problem is but it’s leading to very poor play in his own end with the puck, good thing he has Morrissey who is always 3 steps ahead of everyone on the ice to make life easier for him on the breakout. Trouba simply needs to get back into shape with his skating and he won’t have to handle the puck under duress as much which is good for the whole team considering he handles it like a grenade ( even quarterbacking the PP last night he didn’t look comfortable with it)

This assessment seems a little unfair but I would have no issue with Morrissey playing the PP (even when Buff comes back). PP time for Trouba is a carrot to help with future negotiations I would think. Overcharge loses some validity to any claims of misuse in regards to keeping Trouba's numbers down.

The Trouba that played last year is the guy we need.
It's tough to be a consistently top level player in the NHL every year.
Hopefully he will get back to more of his 2016/17 performances.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maurice matched hard against the Blues top two lines (Scheifele/Wheeler vs. Schenn/Tarasenko and Lowry/Copp vs. Steen/Stastny). Scheifele's line with Trouba/Morrissey smoked Schenn's line, and Lowry's line held their own vs. Steen's line, while Little/Laine/Ehlers feasted on the Blues' 3rd line (Berglund/Upshall). Jets' 4th line smoked the Blues' 4th line (Brodziak/Upshall/Thorbs).

matchups-2017-12-17-2017020507-STLatWPG.png

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Maurice matched hard against the Blues top two lines (Scheifele/Wheeler vs. Schenn/Tarasenko and Lowry/Copp vs. Steen/Stastny). Scheifele's line with Trouba/Morrissey smoked Schenn's line, and Lowry's line held their own vs. Steen's line, while Little/Laine/Ehlers feasted on the Blues' 3rd line (Berglund/Upshall). Jets' 4th line smoked the Blues' 4th line (Brodziak/Upshall/Thorbs).

#depth

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

So why do some posters think that Trouba is worth more money than Morrisey? I've watched pretty much all the games and think that Morrisey has played better than Trouba this year. Trouba's play is starting to get better now, and hope it continues.

If Morrisey is willing to sign long term for $ 5.5 mil--then Trouba should not get any more than Morrisey, and absolute tops would be $ 6 mil. If he wants more, let him go to arbitration, then trade him. He's not worth the "continual headache" I read posts on here saying he wants $ 8 mil- "he's just not worth that amount--and I'd be surprised if Chevy goes any higher than $ 6 mil on Trouba.

Why should Jet's management allow Trouba to upset the pay equilibrium that we currently have on the Jets ??? If he wants to be reasonable-"then fine-sign him."--if not-"trade him." --and I'd love to see the Jet's get Sergachev from Tampa in return--even if we have to throw in a "good pick."

The calculation for Trouba is skewed by his bridge deal. It isn't just a simple matter of saying that player X is worth a certain amount and player Y is some other amount relative to that. Contract situation, the number of RFA years vs the number of UFA years and the length of the contract have to be taken into account. An 8 year term gives a different AAV than a 3 year term. Contracts signed some number of years later are usually a little larger - inflation/cap rise.

If Trouba signed 6x7.1666 to come into effect next season that would be just about equal to Schief's 8 year deal. Based on last year's play I figured that was just about what he was worth. An 8 year deal from Trouba would have justified a higher AAV. I was willing to accept a bit of an overpay to get him locked up and put an end to the uncertainty.

In hindsight I am just as glad we didn't go that route because his play this year has been at a much lower level than last year's, IMO. Unfortunately that probably means his trade market value is lower now too.

I've always been high on Morrissey and posted that I thought he was our best D much of the time last year, even though some advanced stats didn't support that assessment. I don't get any sense of attitude from JoMo. I expect Chevy will sign him next off-season with little trouble, for some number in the established market range.

I would not be unhappy if Chevy was able to get one of the top rated RHD prospects in trade for Trouba, Liljegren, Foote or similar along with whatever other pieces make up the value. A right side of Buff, Myers, Poolman for a couple of years while that prospect develops would fit the timeline and help cap management. The value of having players who are happy to be here is hard to measure.

Reactions: GNP

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I love these charts. They do take a bit of time to fully digest though. Are you a Patreon contributor?

Interesting to see the Little line vs Pietrangelo

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Why do the home jerseys the team wears look so much bluer than the replicas? I really wish they were similar, the replicas fans can buy are so dark and almost look a bit purple.

2dt2ey0.png

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I love these charts. They do take a bit of time to fully digest though. Are you a Patreon contributor?

Interesting to see the Little line vs Pietrangelo
Yes, these are interesting charts. I think they do show how the Jets are starting to use their depth, and in particular that 3rd line, to get good match-ups.

Sorry, don't know what Patreon is...

Nov 24, 2006
Bob Cole is like listening to Marge Simpson call the game. "The player skates as fast as he can with the puck. He wants to take a good shot....and he does! But the goalie stopped it and now he's skating again to try and get the puck back."

OMG I laughed reading this. So true.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

A couple of comments from Blues fans on their boards after the game were that we were a deeper offensive team then them. Nice to hear someone else say it. Although if you added back in a couple of their injured players it would be a different match up. We're missing Buff and Toby but I would say they are missing more (not counting Fabbri).

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Its hard to take your criticism of Trouba seriously about taking some games off, when you defend Buff in the same sentence
Buff never held out on a contract at any point in his career.

Whenever Jacob is mailing it in..you never really know if its a "I dont want to play in Wpg thing".

Totally agree with original poster.

Reactions: Jets 31 and ERYX

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
We should honestly consider chipping in for a HFJets account. I'd be up to contribute some bucks for the patreon. Someone has the account and uploads the graphs on a regular basis and we help him pay it. A patreon for the actual patreon. Anyone else interested?

He usually posts some of them the next day. There are extra goodies only available to contributors.

STL at WPG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad