Post-Game Talk: This Is Not The Day I Die - Jets 4 Blues 0

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Nice to see Helle get back on track, I'd bet Mason's strong game pushed him a bit [/QUOTE]

I agree with this post--seems like Helle plays a lot better when he's on the edge. He seems like a very competitive guy, and doesn't want to lose that starting job to Mason. It's good we have such a talented tandem as goaltenders.

I've noticed Helle can lose his "focus"--but when Mason is around, and playing well, he seems to keep his focus all game.

We have a great thing going here, at a very important position !!!

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I agree with this post--seems like Helle plays a lot better when he's on the edge. He seems like a very competitive guy, and doesn't want to lose that starting job to Mason. It's good we have such a talented tandem as goaltenders.
I've noticed Helle can lose his "focus"--but when Mason is around, and playing well, he seems to keep his focus all game.
We have a great thing going here, at a very important position !!!

I think it's a combination of the two and the benefit of having a rest a bit more often. I strongly suspect a world of difference between Hellebuyck playing 50 games versus playing 60

Reactions: Saintb and GNP

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
is there some where to watch the thorburn tribute video ? they went to commercial on tv wld be nice to see one with his reaction while he watches also

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Uh well uh the Jets uh looked uh very uh good uh tonight uh , how does he not realize he is saying that so much :laugh: Morrissey is without a doubt our best all around defenseman , not even close anymore . If Trouba was paired with Charoit i don't think he would get a raise from what he is making now . He won the lottery anyway already by going from being paired with Stuart to Morrissey . :laugh: When Helly controls his rebounds he is very good , can even make saves with his back to the play . :laugh: Best all around game of the season for Laine , when he is skating hard he is very , very good . When i found that emoji of Helly i posted it before the game and he got a shutout so . :allears: :snide:

Reactions: Ducky10

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Nice to see the kid rewarded with two points tonight. He's been playing such a steady defensive game all year. I think his lack of panic in the D zone has contributed a huge amount and he's been executing his own smart, simple game at a high level all season.

Twist: this post isn't about Morrissey, or Trouba, for that matter.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Oh, and not bad for the third of a five game losing streak.

Just saying that if we’re being honest, can any of us say that we’re thrilled with his progress from what we saw of him the first year?
He looked to be an absolute stud but hasn’t turned out to be quite the superstar we thought.
While on the other hand, Morrissey continues to get better and better.

Trouba was playing pretty sheltered minutes in his first season and he was fantastic last year.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
CSW: While Scheifele did not seem to be on top of his game, the wingers more than made up for it. Connor had a monstrous first period and pretty much maintained a good level of play at both ends of the ice from there on. Wheeler's game was quite similar - hard work paid off, resulting in us getting chances. Him throwing Edmundson down to keep the puck moving forward was a good example of what I'd like to see more from the guys - no matter how skilled you are, sometimes it is required to show a bit of grit. Scheifele did not have a spectacular night, but overall, decent work, for which he got his reward in the third.

ELL: And the winger of the day was, rather easily, Laine. Seven shots on goal, including the PP goal that still has me in awe: how does a goalie have so much time to prepare for the shot and still be unable to catch the puck? Moreover, it seemed like Laine's feet were actually moving tonight, which has not been the case recently. No wonder the results were better tonight - both with and without the puck. Little with a really solid game, as is the case with Ehlers. Little's defensive game is still on point, which is a relief. I felt like the Blues managed to negate Ehlers' speed (him flying into the Blues' zone was not particularly successful), which hurt his game.

CLT: Another amazing night for these three. Copp with two assists, which is always a positive from someone who plays in a shutdown role and does not play on the PP. Lowry with a goal and a bunch of very good plays to prevent the Blues from creating offense, and Tanev with a very typical game of him - causing chaos with his speed, intercepting passes and creating some chances (the first goal was a good showing from him, but it was more of a defensive breakdown by Parayko and Edmundson - in that situation, no matter who has the puck behind the net, there is no reason for both defensemen to double-team the puck carrier at any point). As a unit, they click, and quite honestly, we need them to do that.

PHA: The whole line had a strong night. Armia had a couple of great chances, especially the one created by Hendricks in the first period. Perreault had an assist on the 2-0 goal, and the rest of the game was a strong showing too. Hendricks is damn slow, but he played well, especially in his own zone.

44-8: If it was not for the penalty in the first period, I would have claimed that Morrissey had a flawless game. Yes, he was that good. Being matched up against Tarasenko and coming out so far ahead is no small feat, yet he achieved just that. The goal and the assist in the third were just icing on the cake. Furthermore, the hit on Sobotka (?) was a beautiful one. Trouba was not as impressive, but a strong game nonetheless - two assists and a successful night shutting the opposition down.

5-57: Myers' first period was quite bad - the play with the puck was hopeless at times. After that, he picked up the pace and had a rather good game. Nothing too spectacular, but good enough anyway. Kulikov was very good; very little complaints about his defensive game, and offensively... yeah, he did not bring much, but that is to be expected.

7-3: I guess Chiarot was fine, on the basis of me not seeing awful blunders from him (which is actually great). Poolman, on the other hand, WOW. That was some night from him; four shots on goal (including two from quite dangerous areas) in just over eleven minutes of ice time, and the defensive side of the game was nothing to scoff at either. Someone mentioned that Poolman was +11 in Corsi, which is impressive from a third pairing guy.

37: Can you complain about a shutout? No? Then we'll congratulate Helle for a great game and move on.

We completely ran over one of the best teams in the league - especially when looking at the defensive side of the game. This was far from a regular beatdown - in fact, this chart that was already posted here demonstrates how big a schooling this really was.

DRSzUzEWkAIevSe.jpg:large

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Some top notch comprehensive reviews by Whileee and Maukkis so I will just chip in like a 4th line guy here with some random comments.

When I debate on one of the many Laine threads it’s not because I don’t love the kid it’s because I believe he is able to do more without Scheifele than many of his biggest fans do. Last night was a perfect example of what I mean and want. Pate was dominant and the best player on his line by a mile. He feasted without needing a top 5 centre in the league. Will he be amazing with Scheif one day soon.....yes.......does he need him to kick ass.......no. Our team will be next to impossible to beat in a seven game series if and when Laine figures it out away from Mark and he will. I believe that point strongly and it’s why I am not panicking with his current usage. I have always felt he would adapt and be stronger for it. The perfect scenario is that he can play really well with and without Scheifele because it opens up all the options for any coach. Dream scenario for the Jets and nightmare for other teams.

That crazy hit that Tanev took to make a play on the first goal was a thing of beauty. That line is so much better than I would have ever believed when I saw them on paper? Someone mentioned you can win in the playoffs with guys like Lowry and Copp and I 100% agree......low cost players because the NHL rewards scoring more than scoring differential. Low scoring possession beasts vs toughs = VALUE

Hey Puck Stoppa about that Poolman kid..... you nailed it. Such a good all around game....that brain/skill combo is not a bottom pairing brain/skill combo. He will be able to play up when needed once he gets some experience in this league.

I was very right about Kyle Connor last season and this summer.....he just keeps getting better.

JMo is at the next level now which is a massive bonus.......apparently I like Trouba’s game more than most guys here and although he has more to give he is good as is right now playing against the other teams best night in night out. They are a very solid top pair. The best part is Morrissey is in the perfect place for us to get a nice long term deal with him this summer. Feels like the Scheifele situation where we catch him before his offensive numbers drive up the cost.

Kuli signing was better than I thought when it happened this summer and I liked it then since it filled an organizational need everyone here had identified. Not all big spends on UFA’s July 1st are bad I guess.

Watching our goalies In the last two against the Blues makes me feel warm and fuzzy and optimistic.

That two game set was off the charts.

Last edited:

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
PHA: The whole line had a strong night. Armia had a couple of great chances, especially the one created by Hendricks in the first period.
+ The chance on PP, but the god damn hesitation before shot.. I remember the time when he didn't hesitate. I hope he gets his scoring touch back in some point.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Connor is so much better right now than I would have ever predicted. So many questions about his strength and suddenly he's a beast along the boards. He could easily be playing at a point per game with some luck, he's getting multiple quality chances a game but has been pretty snake bitten so far this season, which makes it pretty silly that he's pacing for ~30 goals in a full season.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
The Jets deserver a better fate with only 2 out of 4 points in this series. They were by far the better team in both games but only got 2 points. After these 2 games the Blues and the Jets know who is the better team. It is not the Blues.

Myers or Morrissey should be on the first PP unit not Trouba.
So far this season Morrissey is our best D and Myers is our best RHD.

The bottom six are just kicking ass right now and deserve the TOI they are getting. I thought LLE was our best line and deserved to score much more.

If the Jets top 2 lines ever put it together at the same time on a regular biases the Jets are unbeatable. Add the great play of the bottom six and they are a contender for the cup.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
JoMo, Troubs, Laine, Helly, Lowry all looked good tonight. Scheif and Little looked like bums again. Tough to win when your top two C are taking the night off, but we managed tonight.
Scheif was hardly a bum last night. He matched up against Tarasenko and Schenn most of the night and ran at 70+ CF% against them. He lacked a little bit of finish but he had opportunities all night long. Little also ended the night with a huge possession advantage.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I’m not surprised about Connor at all. Prior to us winning the lotto and getting Laine, Connor was pretty much “the future” of the franchise. He’s a high grade prospect who is doing what he was expected to do...which is a fantastic thing for us.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Some top notch comprehensive reviews by Whileee and Maukkis so I will just chip in like a 4th line guy here with some random comments.

When I debate on one of the many Laine threads it’s not because I don’t love the kid it’s because I believe he is able to do more without Scheifele than many of his biggest fans do. Last night was a perfect example of what I mean and want. Pate was dominant and the best player on his line by a mile. He feasted without needing a top 5 centre in the league. Will he be amazing with Scheif one day soon.....yes.......does he need him to kick ass.......no. Our team will be next to impossible to beat in a seven game series if and when Laine figures it out away from Mark and he will. I believe that point strongly and it’s why I am not panicking with his current usage. I have always felt he would adapt and be stronger for it. The perfect scenario is that he can play really well with and without Scheifele because it opens up all the options for any coach. Dream scenario for the Jets and nightmare for other teams.

That crazy hit that Tanev took to make a play on the first goal was a thing of beauty. That line is so much better than I would have ever believed when I saw them on paper? Someone mentioned you can win in the playoffs with guys like Lowry and Copp and I 100% agree......low cost players because the NHL rewards scoring more than scoring differential. Low scoring possession beasts vs toughs = VALUE

Hey Puck Stoppa about that Poolman kid..... you nailed it. Such a good all around game....that brain/skill combo is not a bottom pairing brain/skill combo. He will be able to play up when needed once he gets some experience in this league.

I was very right about Kyle Connor last season and this summer.....he just keeps getting better.

JMo is at the next level now which is a massive bonus.......apparently I like Trouba’s game more than most guys here and although he has more to give he is good as is right now playing against the other teams best night in night out. They are a very solid top pair. The best part is Morrissey is in the perfect place for us to get a nice long term deal with him this summer. Feels like the Scheifele situation where we catch him before his offensive numbers drive up the cost.

Kuli signing was better than I thought when it happened this summer and I liked it then since it filled an organizational need everyone here had identified. Not all big spends on UFA’s July 1st are bad I guess.

Watching our goalies In the last two against the Blues makes me feel warm and fuzzy and optimistic.

That two game set was off the charts.
Nice review. I completely agree about CLT, of course. Lowry has turned into a beast, and Copp isn't far behind.

I also agree about Trouba. Morrissey deserves all the credit he's been getting, but I also really liked Trouba's defensive game. He's so physical and keeps players out of danger zones. He can be used as a reliable big minute RD in the playoffs when the games are fast and physical.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Good stuff both these games! Reassuring efforts.

I don't mind if the team loses as long as the effort is there. It is why I'm not doing backflips when we win 2-1 games with over 97% goaltending after allowing 40 SOG. It works both ways.

Top-6 had their chances so the usual 5v5 scoring complaint doesn't really apply (we still need good efforts consistently that we lately haven't seen). ELL had a good game but it's clear they have a little bit of mismatch in how they play the game. It seems they have a bit difficulties in deciding when to cycle and when to go for the quick rush plays. That being said, both top lines were strong. Laine with the second highest SOG number of his career in this game and he was really hauling his buttocks and causing mayhem. Good to see. That release is unfair.

Win or lose, this is the effort I want to see every time.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Just saying that if we’re being honest, can any of us say that we’re thrilled with his progress from what we saw of him the first year?
He looked to be an absolute stud but hasn’t turned out to be quite the superstar we thought.
While on the other hand, Morrissey continues to get better and better.

Exactly the same thing can be said about Bogosian as well. He started out amazingly in Atlanta in his rookie season. Looked like an easy choice for an upcoming top-pairing defenseman. He was so mobile, confident and dangerous offensively.

Absolutely nothing of that can be said about Bogosian now. Trouba feels a bit similar for sure.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Whatever Maurice did to get this team up for these two games he should continue doing. They were ready and they played hard all game.
Passing was crisper and breakouts we’re better.
Most importantly the heavy forecheck was back and when this team disrupts the opposition before they even get started, they usually win

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Exactly the same thing can be said about Bogosian as well. He started out amazingly in Atlanta in his rookie season. Looked like an easy choice for an upcoming top-pairing defenseman. He was so mobile, confident and dangerous offensively.

Absolutely nothing of that can be said about Bogosian now. Trouba feels a bit similar for sure.

Sorry, i’m not really seeing it. Trouba is playing a solid game on our top pairing. He’s doing just fine.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Scheif was hardly a bum last night. He matched up against Tarasenko and Schenn most of the night and ran at 70+ CF% against them. He lacked a little bit of finish but he had opportunities all night long. Little also ended the night with a huge possession advantage.
It sure looked like Connor and Wheels were driving that line last night. Actually, on all 4 lines it seemed like the wings were driving the lines. Very odd game in that respect. Overall, I was very pleased with what I saw though. That was two tired teams and the Jets gutted it out.

Reactions: libertarian

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hopefully they keep up the great play against Nashville. Something like 30 shots for in the past 2 games for CSW. Damn have they had some great chances lately. Connor's turning into a mini Wheeler with his board work. God help the NHL when he fills out more.

The big question is Mase or Helle? Helle had the shutout so likely him but Mo has mentioned frequently lately that Helle is over what they wanted for starts due to Mase's concussion.

Helle Nashville
Mase Boston?

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Sat beside a guy that complained about Trouba all night long.....I cudda thrown him onto the ice.
8 and 44 looked really good as did Lowry, Armia, Ehlers, Laine, Kuli and MP. Helle was a wall and really deserved that goose egg.
Everyone still want to can Maurice, Huddy, Flaherty and every body else or did the get a one day reprieve?

Did anyone see how often Morrissey had to bail Trouba out? Turnovers in his zone near the net, failed clearing attempts, bad passes up the ice. Missed like 3 easy passed to Wheeler on the PP. He looks weak.

The knock on Trouba is that he doesn't work out off the ice. Not a hard worker after the games. It shows now, he's been given more of an opportunity and he looks weak in his core.

Morrissey is in great shape and looks like our most solid defender and more effective offensive defender.

If Trouba gets paid more than Morrissey we're in trouble.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad