• Barclay Goodrow

• Karl Henriksson

• Filip Chytil

Results are only viewable after voting.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I honestly can’t tell if you’re a giant troll at this point or not.
yes a mystery box can be anything including a boat.
You’re essentially advocating trading Mika for a prospect simply to gain cap space. That is literally the dumbest reason to trade Mika ever.
Trade him to acquire another different center, that depends. But for cap space, you could let him walk.
Additionally the latest reports are 7-8 years and between 8-9m. No 10m.
8m for a player of mikas caliber is a little under market value especially for ufa years.
You can’t keep trading for prospects, and we do need at least one high end center which Mika can be of healthy. So he is worth that cap space.
Bern isn't a troll. He just thinks outside the box, while simultaneously thinking inside the box, on top of the box, through the box, etc.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I honestly can’t tell if you’re a giant troll at this point or not.
yes a mystery box can be anything including a boat.
You’re essentially advocating trading Mika for a prospect simply to gain cap space. That is literally the dumbest reason to trade Mika ever.
Trade him to acquire another different center, that depends. But for cap space, you could let him walk.
Additionally the latest reports are 7-8 years and between 8-9m. No 10m.
8m for a player of mikas caliber is a little under market value especially for ufa years.
You can’t keep trading for prospects, and we do need at least one high end center which Mika can be of healthy. So he is worth that cap space.

wrong x 2

1st, bold, am advocating this just for the cap space
NO
it is ample ongoing cap space AND a premium high end 2OA elc pivot
don't convenientlhy forget that.

2nd, underline
we don't want zib 8 yrs too much risk
3 or 4 is ideal.
he is 29
anything into early 30s absorbs risk of being stuck w/a large contract that will cost to move

Effin no.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
wrong x 2

1st, bold, am advocating this just for the cap space
NO
it is ample ongoing cap space AND a premium high end 2OA elc pivot
don't convenientlhy forget that.

2nd, underline
we don't want zib 8 yrs too much risk
3 or 4 is ideal.
he is 29
anything into early 30s absorbs risk of being stuck w/a large contract that will cost to move

Effin no.
Aside from young Crosby has there been a team that’s won the cup without a 1C older than 30?
30 might be the start of the decline but talented players make up for it.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Aside from young Crosby has there been a team that’s won the cup without a 1C older than 30?

Hawks won 3 with Toews, Kings won 2 with Kopitar, St. Louis won with ROR, Caps may have won just before Backstrom's 30th. Bergeron was under 30 when the Bruins won. Brayden Point is under 30. I'm having a hard time thinking of a team that's won with a 1C over 30 since 2005.

Tampa - Point
Tampa - Point
St. Louis - ROR
Washington - Backstrom
Pittsburgh - Crosby
Pittsburgh - Crosby
Chicago - Toews
Los Angeles - Kopitar
Chicago - Toews
Los Angeles - Kopitar
Boston - Bergeron
Chicago - Toews
Pittsburgh - Crosby
Detroit - Datsyuk
Anaheim - Getzlaf? McDonald?
Carolina - Staal

McDonald was 29 for Anaheim. Crosby was 29 last time Pens won. Backstrom was just 30 I think when the Capitals won. Datsyuk was just 30 when Detroit won, he may have even turned 30 a few days after the finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Sweetness

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern isn't a troll. He just thinks outside the box, while simultaneously thinking inside the box, on top of the box, through the box, etc.

guilty as charged!
leave no prisoners!!
let there be no stones unturned!!!

the search for the truth and the quest for knowledge must not be denied.

after all
truth ultimately prevails

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Hawks won 3 with Toews, Kings won 2 with Kopitar, St. Louis won with ROR, Caps may have won just before Backstrom's 30th. Bergeron was under 30 when the Bruins won. Brayden Point is under 30. I'm having a hard time thinking of a team that's won with a 1C over 30 since 2005.

Tampa - Point
Tampa - Point
St. Louis - ROR
Washington - Backstrom
Pittsburgh - Crosby
Pittsburgh - Crosby
Chicago - Toews
Los Angeles - Kopitar
Chicago - Toews
Los Angeles - Kopitar
Boston - Bergeron
Chicago - Toews
Pittsburgh - Crosby
Detroit - Datsyuk
Carolina - Staal

McDonald was 29 for Anaheim. Crosby was 29 last time Pens won. Backstrom was just 30 I think when the Capitals won. Datsyuk was just 30 when Detroit won, he may have even turned 30 a few days after the finals.
I definitely was wrong there. But notice that all of those teams did lock up those same centers, now they all do have cap issues, but it isn’t primarily because of the centers.
The rangers are likely constructing our roster slightly differently than most of these, as our primary offense is being driven from the wings. So if Mika can retain his 2 way play at least into his 30s his contract will still be valuable.

Reactions: LokiDog

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

that's a fair ?!!!
here is a fair answer.

You have multiple paths to the cup.
If you luck into Crosby-Malkin you can try and see what variant of the usual may work for you.

But arguably, the usual way that works is for a fully deep team with lots of talent, some guys taking a bit less to keep cap down to field a full squad with a minimum of drek.

Examples: recently, Boston, more currently, TB.

Of course, injuries are part of that equation [where depth helps] and a hot goalie, perhaps more than a skater w/a career year, is a factor.

Zib is 29
neither you nor I nor anyone else controls the clock

he may be an all star past 40
BUT
if we are playing percentages,
anything over 32-33 is where wear and tear starts to add up.

Kreider is an example.
The guy is a stud.
BUT
instead of regular wear and tear and playing to the strength of his speed,
we make this throughbred stand in front of the net and take a beating pretty much every effin power play.
Has that shown over the past year/+? Yes.
And that is Kreider, the beast among us.

Now Zib is neither a shrimp nor a creampuff,
BUT
age will catch up to him.
For his sake, we hope it is later than sooner
but we are the ones who have to take the risk

sure, pre cap, I don't give a flying or stationary fig about how much he gets paid
but now, hard cap, and it impacts quality of the rest of the roster,
I don't want this guy
or anybody else
into their mid 30s and beyond

And if this was some guy who was a late bloomer from out of nowhere coming to us from Europe and his cap hit was like 4-5m then I still lean no, but it's a different set of numbers.
I still don't give a 33 yr old $ into approaching 40.
But I could see someone around 4-5 getting a 2-3 yr deal.
esp if no cheaper alternatives.
It's called leveraged risk.

Now in my scenario, we pay, we pay w/Zib, Jones + some throw ins
but we get
Matty B for that.
He's probably ok to come in for middle 6 pivot after 1 yr in the A.

So I replace latest 20s guy with early 20s guy, both high talent, and am getting super cap benefit.

And again, after we move Strome, we have no cards to play until we can move Trouba.
We need that cap to max our Fox #s
AND
don't forget soon after this season we have LaF + Kakko off elc, => rfas, w/Kravstov following after next yr.

We can't afford Zib or Eichel or any other big number.
theoretically we can cannibalize something else for Zib for a year, but that's about it.

I hope this was helpful.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I definitely was wrong there. But notice that all of those teams did lock up those same centers, now they all do have cap issues, but it isn’t primarily because of the centers.
The rangers are likely constructing our roster slightly differently than most of these, as our primary offense is being driven from the wings. So if Mika can retain his 2 way play at least into his 30s his contract will still be valuable.

I'm in favor of locking Zib up. My response was more for the trivia of answering the question than arguing against signing Zib.

I think we've completely over dramatized the situation. We've waited 20 years for a center to produce like Zib. His last two seasons, aside from a 27 game stretch where he was supposedly (so, yeah, take it with a grain of salt - but based on his performance before and after, I give the benefit of the doubt) suffering lingering Covid effects, he's paced for 50+ goals and 100+ points. If he has a couple more years like that, then maybe a couple years of lingering near/ a bit below point per game, then a couple years in the 60 point range, give or take, I'll live with the final 1-2 years maybe being a "bad contract". I'm more concerned about the cap hit. Sure, I'd prefer to keep it to around 6 years, but if it's 7 or 8, so be it. I just don't want to pay him more than a negligible difference above the Couturier contract if that's the case. I'm all in favor of keeping Zibby long term though. Next question.

Reactions: IDvsEGO

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If that’s accurate, I love it. He’s saying ‘I’ll treat you like adults but keep you accountable, too’. That’s the best of both worlds.

You’re not reading it that way because accountability is such a foreign concept with this team :)

So on the surface we have a simple response to a simple question. But then HFBNYR logic is invoked and we now think that after a meaningless first preseason game Gallant will publicly call out team vets he barely got to know yet for a perceived lack of effort in the said meaningless game??? Do you stop to think how senseless this would be (in the real world)?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

The box is just an illusion that limits our ability to utilize our full potential.

You must clear your mind and ask yourself one simple question:

upload_2021-9-27_20-53-17.gif

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm in favor of locking Zib up. My response was more for the trivia of answering the question than arguing against signing Zib.

I think we've completely over dramatized the situation. We've waited 20 years for a center to produce like Zib. His last two seasons, aside from a 27 game stretch where he was supposedly (so, yeah, take it with a grain of salt - but based on his performance before and after, I give the benefit of the doubt) suffering lingering Covid effects, he's paced for 50+ goals and 100+ points. If he has a couple more years like that, then maybe a couple years of lingering near/ a bit below point per game, then a couple years in the 60 point range, give or take, I'll live with the final 1-2 years maybe being a "bad contract". I'm more concerned about the cap hit. Sure, I'd prefer to keep it to around 6 years, but if it's 7 or 8, so be it. I just don't want to pay him more than a negligible difference above the Couturier contract if that's the case. I'm all in favor of keeping Zibby long term though. Next question.

not so fast.
He's 29
8 yrs takes him to 37
your only conceding 2 years and that is still expensive
BUT
what if he starts to break down earlier?
I'd prefer 32 but I can live w/33.
That is 4 years
Any contract w/#s 5, 6, 7, or 8 yrs is asking for trouble.

And NOW is the time to defeat that problem, not later when it will have consequences, and
NOT
just to giving this guy too much, but in terms of what consequences that has for the rest of the roster.

You have to think ahead.
WAY ahead.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

Tampa - Point
Tampa - Point
St. Louis - ROR
Washington - Backstrom
Pittsburgh - Crosby
Pittsburgh - Crosby
Chicago - Toews
Los Angeles - Kopitar
Chicago - Toews
Los Angeles - Kopitar
Boston - Bergeron
Chicago - Toews
Pittsburgh - Crosby
Detroit - Datsyuk
Carolina - Staal

Crosby is also freakin' Crosby so if he won a cup at 36 years old, would we really bat an eye?

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
We have a GM who should know what it is like to provide a contract to a 30 year old center….and then not have it work out.

Surprisingly similar situations.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad