This is a Bad Hockey Team 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Rangers suck. Prepare for abuse from devils fans and islander fans, because we ****ing blew it. We had our chances ans we never won the big one. Years of misery ahead.

I don't know if it's quite years of misery, but it will be a time of transition.

A lot depends on the timetable of younger guys we have in the system - Shestyorkin, Andersson, Chytil and others. It depends on if this a team that sucks so badly they are in a position to add another high end young talent in the draft.

It depends on what contracts they get rid of - either by attrition or trade. Likewise, it depends on how they use any money they free up.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I don't know if it's quite years of misery, but it will be a time of transition.

A lot depends on the timetable of younger guys we have in the system - Shestyorkin, Andersson, Chytil and others. It depends on if this a team that sucks so badly they are in a position to add another high end young talent in the draft.

It depends on what contracts they get rid of - either by attrition or trade. Likewise, it depends on how they use any money they free up.
I'm not sure if high end young will be good enough, considering what this team is severely lacking, I mean with generational talent. We haven't drafted generational forward talent in I don't know how long, especially in the first round.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Just remember that no team is ever as bad as they are during a slump.

That being said, I mentioned this in the GDT yesterday, but it wasn’t the right place for it. This team right now reminds me so much of Luc Robitaille in 95-96. They’re snake bitten for sure, but it isn’t clear that they deserve better.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm not sure if high end young will be good enough, considering what this team is severely lacking, I mean with generational talent. We haven't drafted generational forward talent in I don't know how long, especially in the first round.

Depends on how high they pick, but they could def. benefit from top end talent and this could be a good draft.

Despite the misfires this season, there are some intriguing options sprinkled around the system. You add two or three pieces to that, and suddenly you have the start of something.

Let's for arguments sake say the Rangers add a Brady Tkachuk to the system and maybe a very good prospect or two who is close to NHL ready via trades, on top of what we have. Suddenly the future looks a bit different.

For me, the painful reality is that this team's window is closed for now and there are several guys who face very long odds of bringing greater value to that (future) window than they bring in trade value right now.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Rangers suck. Prepare for abuse from devils fans and islander fans, because we ****ing blew it. We had our chances ans we never won the big one. Years of misery ahead.
Sports are cyclical, for the most part. Teams are good for a spell, then they're bad. I don't really get Rangers fan being so "woe is me" about it, because we were bad for a couple years after the mid 90s, acting like "the dark ages" is something that only happened to us.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Besides, "years of misery" is seriously overdoing it. Those late 90s Rangers team didn't have as much young talent as this team currently has. That's not to say we're STACKED with young talent, but there's a foundation here. Adding a top pick in this draft could help us a LOT moving forward.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Who cares what they think? We were not fortunate to suck or luck into getting a 1st overall pick like them. It's amazing we've gotten as far as we have without any top 3 picks like all the teams that have won or gone to the finals since the lockout. Bruins and Sharks are really the only teams that we could compare ourselves to.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

The Rangers need to completely re-tool their foundation and hope they can get lucky with the generational talent thing. They didn't during the 2012-2017 window and it probably cost them a championship. Nash wasn't that answer. The bones of the roster is decaying, and that needs to be addressed very soon.

Reactions: Ori

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
The Rangers need to completely re-tool their foundation and hope they can get lucky with the generational talent thing. They didn't during the 2012-2017 window and it probably cost them a championship. Nash wasn't that answer. The bones of the roster is decaying, and that needs to be addressed very soon.

If everything goes right their foundation is fine.
Zibanejad, Buchnevich, JT Miller, Skjey, Kreider are fine pieces to build around. We need Chytil, Andersson and Shestyorkin to pan out.

In 2 years we can contend again.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If everything goes right their foundation is fine.
Zibanejad, Buchnevich, JT Miller, Skjey, Kreider are fine pieces to build around. We need Chytil, Andersson and Shestyorkin to pan out.

In 2 years we can contend again.

Lets put it this way - the Rangers would be better served acquiring the types of players you just listed and hoping one turns into a generational talent rather than being blinded by the quest for one.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Lets put it this way - the Rangers would be better served acquiring the types of players you just listed and hoping one turns into a generational talent rather than being blinded by the quest for one.

Basically, yeah. Not every draft has a generational player and you have to win the lottery to get them.
Playoff Hockey is a game of bounces and some luck. We could have won the Cup against the kings easily with better luck, the next year without the injuries we could've gone back to the Stanley Cup finals.

This quest for a generational players is really pointless. The cons far outweight the pros.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Besides, "years of misery" is seriously overdoing it. Those late 90s Rangers team didn't have as much young talent as this team currently has. That's not to say we're STACKED with young talent, but there's a foundation here. Adding a top pick in this draft could help us a LOT moving forward.
Also, still think we'll have a better future than the Isles for the foreseeable future. Once their captain walks this summer, they may as well abolish.

Devils and Flyers look decent, but they still didn't draft a generational player at least.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown

The question I always have is "will a true leader(s) emerge?"
I don't think it's an overstatement to say strong on-ice leadership boosts a team. In the last few seasons, I have pinned that leader label on Zuccs, and Henrik (some inspirational play from others through sheer sacrifice, ala Danny G). I am very sincere when I say I cannot think of others right now. When Zuccs is off (as I think he has been so far this season as part of the general malaise) and Henrik is finding it even more challenging to be the finger in the dyke for the crapshow that passes for defensive zone defense, there seems to be nothing. Certainly, AV is not going to rally the troops. When you get extreme level talent like Crosby wrapped up with an insane desire to compete and do it consistently, you realize how that takes you from showing up to taking the Stanley Cup home.
Short of that level of extreme talent, getting the insane desire to compete is nice.

My long winded paragraph can be distilled to my hopes that the Rangers get better on ice leadership, or more players who can contribute in that role. I hope some of the kids might do that. Tony D might have it in him too. I'm not knocking McDonagh, but he is not a ball of fire, something this team needs.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Also, still think we'll have a better future than the Isles for the foreseeable future. Once their captain walks this summer, they may as well abolish.

Devils and Flyers look decent, but they still didn't draft a generational player at least.

Flyers are stacked. Devils don't have players who can defend.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sports are cyclical, for the most part. Teams are good for a spell, then they're bad. I don't really get Rangers fan being so "woe is me" about it, because we were bad for a couple years after the mid 90s, acting like "the dark ages" is something that only happened to us.

It wasn't "bad for a couple of years," it was, at the time, the longest active streak of missing the playoffs.

Reactions: Blueshirt Special

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

I wish people would STFU about "Generational" talent already. You don't need one to win. Even Crosby, the only "generational" player in the last decade and a half, didn't win on his own. He scored 120 points and won art ross and hart his 2nd season, the team was still a basement dweller. He needed Malkin and others, and then he needed Kessel, Sheary, Guentzel, Murray and Sullivan to win the next 2.

You need elite players, yes, and I agree the Rangers have not drafted done since 2000 (Lundqvist).

But this "generational" bullshit needs to die.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
The coach is the bigger issue than the roster. Get rid of this circus act of a defensive system and they probably go back to being a .500 team at least.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The roster isnt the best, but it isn't the worst either.

Vegas is currently 7-1-0. Do they have a better roster than the Rangers? I don't think so.

There are 3 reasons why they are winning and the Rangers are losing. Coaching, Effort, and Luck.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Generational talent is just that. Once a generation. That is hard to get. That said, high end talent should be obtainable. Especially in a draft like the one coming up.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For me, the painful reality is that this team's window is closed for now and there are several guys who face very long odds of bringing greater value to that (future) window than they bring in trade value right now.
I absolutely agree with this. The Rangers have some young talent on the roster. They also have vets who could be puzzle pieces to teams who are looking to make deep runs into the playoffs (this may include Henke). They also have other players (McD) who could bring back serous value. With what seems to be available in this draft and through smart trades, they could retool rather quickly. Just have to be wiling to do it.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I absolutely agree with this. The Rangers have some young talent on the roster. They also have vets who could be puzzle pieces to teams who are looking to make deep runs into the playoffs (this may include Henke). They also have other players (McD) who could bring back serous value. With what seems to be available in this draft and through smart trades, they could retool rather quickly. Just have to be wiling to do it.

It's uncomfortable, and risky, but if this team is serious about retooling, than they are going to have to give serious consideration to the possibility of moving guys like McD, Lundqvist, Zucc and just about everyone else on the roster. There will be many factors to consider - age, contract status, short- and long-term projections, and more. More importantly, if they are moving a player in his prime, they have to be pretty damn sure they are quality back. I'm not interested in moving guys just for the sake of moving them, nor am I insistent that any move necessarily take place at the deadline.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Nah, they should fight against their window being closed, try to fix the team enough to maybe make the playoffs by trading Kreider for Backes now, and then rent Thornton at the deadline.

Speaking of puzzle pieces, AV starts a puzzle by trying to build from the middle out, if he finds corner and edge pieces and puts them together, and it starts to make sense he quickly breaks those pieces up and tries to mash them into the center.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not interested in moving guys just for the sake of moving them, nor am I insistent that any move necessarily take place at the deadline.
Agreed on both counts. If they are indeed serious about this, and we have no indication that they are even thinking about it, then the time to trade a player is when you believe you are getting maximum value. That could be now, December, or deadline. If a team with serious aspirations has some short comings, the time to deal may be immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad