This is a Bad Hockey Team 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Oh that is very questionable. Even with their 6 game streak they're not currently in a playoff position and they've played more games than just about everyone.

Whats crazy is had this team missed out on Shattenkirk, they're at the bottom of the standings right now. The PP is literally going to be what makes or breaks this team.

At least two of the seven teams within 6 points of each other in the division are not as good as their current record. Are we one of them? It’s a good question

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I was speaking with a friend the other day and we pretty much came to a consensus. The team isn't as bad as their start, but they most likely are not as good ass their recent 6 game winning streak. Somewhere in the middle is likely which makes them a bubble playoff team.

Reactions: Ori

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
The Rangers are going through a transition. They are trying to figure out how to play important minutes without a key player up front in Stepan and the addition of a key player in Shattenkirk. Neither integration should be expected to happen quickly or seamlessly. Life without Stepan is harder than it might have seemed because you have removed him from the equation and added Desharnais and/or Nieves. That's not a simply recipe to make work.

The Rangers will improve as the year moves on and they figure things out but a true step forward is not going to happen until they bring in a center. The good news is that center doesn't need to be an elite player, he just needs to be an improvement over the body he replaces in the lineup.

And BTW - any thoughts of trading McD should be immediately dismissed. The Rangers would not recover.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers are going through a transition. They are trying to figure out how to play important minutes without a key player up front in Stepan and the addition of a key player in Shattenkirk. Neither integration should be expected to happen quickly or seamlessly. Life without Stepan is harder than it might have seemed because you have removed him from the equation and added Desharnais and/or Nieves. That's not a simply recipe to make work.

The Rangers will improve as the year moves on and they figure things out but a true step forward is not going to happen until they bring in a center. The good news is that center doesn't need to be an elite player, he just needs to be an improvement over the body he replaces in the lineup.

And BTW - any thoughts of trading McD should be immediately dismissed. The Rangers would not recover.

It's not going to go well when you give those minutes to Jimmy Vesey

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Recover from what? If the thought is that this team is not a serious contender, then what they will recoup are assets to help the near and far term.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
Hello, it's me
I've thought about us for a long, long time
Maybe I think too much but something's wrong
There's something here that doesn't last too long
Maybe I shouldn't think of you as mine
Seeing you, or seeing anything as much as I do you
I take for granted that you're always there
I take for granted that you just don't care
Sometimes I can't help seeing all the way through

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Hello, it's me
I've thought about us for a long, long time
Maybe I think too much but something's wrong
There's something here that doesn't last too long
Maybe I shouldn't think of you as mine
Seeing you, or seeing anything as much as I do you
I take for granted that you're always there
I take for granted that you just don't care
Sometimes I can't help seeing all the way through
Hello Todd, what are you doing here?

Reactions: Blueshirt Special

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
They aren't a bad team. They're just slumping. Teams slump. Flyers slumped. Isles slumped. Pens slumped. Caps slumped. Jackets slumped. Kings are slumping. You're not going to have 31 winners every night.

We fans wants everyone fired or traded when this happens, but the truth is these GMs have been in the game long enough to know that panic moves are the worst moves. Two or three weeks is too small a sample size. I'm going to guess Gorton has a mark on his calendar to serve as a trigger to act -- whether a trade or coaching move. I think that mark is about two weeks from now, most likely pushed to the left from the deadline because of how bad they've played.

That being said, I'd like to see AV fired, plus Holden, Nash and Grabner traded at the deadline. I still think they can make the playoffs.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The team, when healthy, isn't bad. But, if you get any center injured, this team is slump prone. Shout out to the off-season where we dealt our 1C and had no plan of replacing everyone else needing to bump up a spot in the lineup.

The system this team plays make everyone worse than they are, except Michael Grabner.

I'd like to see this roster under a different coach before making any sweeping generalizations about any of the players on the roster. This is why I firmly believe that trading McDonagh or Zuccarello before firing the coach would be, in short, an awful mistake.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The team, when healthy, isn't bad. But, if you get any center injured, this team is slump prone. Shout out to the off-season where we dealt our 1C and had no plan of replacing everyone else needing to bump up a spot in the lineup.

The system this team plays make everyone worse than they are, except Michael Grabner.

I'd like to see this roster under a different coach before making any sweeping generalizations about any of the players on the roster. This is why I firmly believe that trading McDonagh or Zuccarello before firing the coach would be, in short, an awful mistake.
New thread title:
“This is a flawed, but good hockey team that’s poorly coached”

Reactions: Rangers_23

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I have no doubt we make the playoffs barring a ton of injuries. Currently only 4 points of the top of the leaderboard.

This team is playing exactly the same after the injuries as they were before the injuries, which is a massive indictment on this system, but nobody will see it that way because the injuries are a free excuse.

Reactions: Inferno

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I still don't see how this is substantially worse than 15-16 or 16-17.
Has a different feel, to me. At least from last year. Last year, despite the problems, I thought we could pull it together enough to make a run. And as it were, we were a few shitty decisions away from an ECF berth. (Not that we SHOULD have been there, but we realistically could have. And from there who knows.)

This year, I don't feel the hope.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Has a different feel, to me. At least from last year. Last year, despite the problems, I thought we could pull it together enough to make a run. And as it were, we were a few ****ty decisions away from an ECF berth. (Not that we SHOULD have been there, but we realistically could have. And from there who knows)

Yeah, I didn't get this vibe at all last year. This feels more like 15-16 but somehow ten times worse.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Has a different feel, to me. At least from last year. Last year, despite the problems, I thought we could pull it together enough to make a run. And as it were, we were a few ****ty decisions away from an ECF berth. (Not that we SHOULD have been there, but we realistically could have. And from there who knows.)

The fact that the Rangers should have been in the ECF last year says more about the league than the Rangers IMO

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The fact that the Rangers should have been in the ECF last year says more about the league than the Rangers IMO
I don't really disagree--last year was a "down" year, or an "up" year if you love parity. But for the purposes of this thread, I'm just saying, last year I felt reason for optimism, reason to dream. This season I just want to sell guys at the TDL then be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad